Thread: Vacancy 20-02V
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2019, 01:28 PM
okieskies99
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007

deja vu

Requested Award prevents solution completion

I guess I'm a lost cause. I think the interface could be much better, and agree about the lack of seniority below the G line, but PBS is 100 times better than line bidding.

I've never heard one logical point about why line bidding would be better. Not a single one. But I'm always open to hearing one. What was great? Vacation touch isn't likely coming back, but if it is, that could theoretically be integrated into the next contract irrespective of PBS/line bidding. I've been told line bidding was better because people loved flying with the same guy for a month (no thanks, but if you like that, then bid it with PBS). I've been told it was great because everyone got 4 day trip (no thanks, but if you like that, then bid it with PBS). What is one thing even moderately better with line bidding that you can't get with PBS?

Every gripe about "I didn't get this pairing one time because PBS sucks..." I've ever heard is nothing compared to not getting most or any individual pairings you might have wanted in a line system. The lines you don't want in your schedule are some of the lines someone senior to you wanted, but didn't get. Now it's not because a few were reserved for LCA trips, 10% trading flow, and completion, but because the schedules are built without taking anyone's individual preference into account. I understand some people are averse to technology, and putting their desires into the bidding system might be challenging for those people, but we're talking about selecting "Avoid flying 0200-0400 local base time" or "award layover in HNL" into a system, not programming in HTML.