Thread: Dallas ATC
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2009, 03:34 AM
NGINEWHOISWHAT
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006

Originally Posted by KC10 FATboy View Post
If there is one thing I've learned when dealing with ATC, it is to be as apologetic when you've made a mistake -- even if you didn't but ATC thinks that you did.

I admit, I've screwed some stuff up before, but ATC was cool about it because I wasn't a jerk on the radio.

I'm not going to be apologetic when I've done nothing wrong. I make mistakes just like the next man, but in this litigous society, 'I'm sorry' is best saved for the wife and kids. If a controller is going to violate you, he or she is going to violate you and there's very little you can do about it. It's that simple. I don't worry about that any place in the world except DFW.

I remember being yelled at several times in KBOS in the late 90's, each time on Ground. I was given the instruction, "Turn left on Kilo. On Kilo, give way to aircraft X." As far as I'm concerned, there is only one way to interpret that. Once on Kilo, give way to Aircraft X. Aircraft X, however, said something and the controller yelled at us. I repeated back EXACTLY what he said to us. He could spin it as he wished, but we did exactly what we were told to do. I try to clarify things as much as possible without getting yelled at, but honestly I could care less about being yelled at, put in the penalty box, made to wait, etc. At the end of the day all I care about is getting back to the house in one piece & violation free. I love my job as I'm certain most controllers do. Anyway, have a good one. Happy Holidays.

Tom