Notices

ORD Seniority

Old 03-08-2018, 08:30 AM
  #1  
New Hire
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Mar 2018
Posts: 8
Default ORD Seniority

First post...so treat me gently .

Hypothetical situation - you want to be domiciled in Chicago and had an offer in hand from both American and United:

1. What is the relative seniority of the ORD domicile within each airline and

2. Best educated guess on which airline has the best opportunity for moving up the ranks of seniority at ORD most quickly.

Realize that part 2 is a bit of a "crystal ball" question but invite educated opinions. Even uneducated ones are welcome as long as they are funny.

Also realize that you might be only able to speak for one, not both of the companies wrt seniority but appreciate any info out there.

Thanks!
KickedPancake is offline  
Old 03-08-2018, 08:41 AM
  #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2016
Position: 6th place
Posts: 1,826
Default

At AA ORD is one of the most senior bases. Also thereís been some recent news about ORD with regards to new terminal construction and from what i remember itís not favorable for AA.
mainlineAF is offline  
Old 03-08-2018, 09:13 AM
  #3  
Banned
 
Joined APC: Apr 2016
Posts: 492
Default

Is United even running classes? I was in the pool there for almost a year before going to indoc so donít even count on going to class with United. America is running a class every two weeks
sherpster is offline  
Old 03-08-2018, 09:18 AM
  #4  
New Hire
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Mar 2018
Posts: 8
Default

Not sure if United is running classes. The gouge on this site is that they will be hiring 450 in 2018. But that qualifies as rumor I guess.

Any chance ORD is so senior at AA that it might become junior shortly? I.E., is it so top heavy that it will be hit first and hardest when retirements start happening in earnest in a few years?

I have never looked at the airline online tools for pilots so I don't know how much visibility you have when you go online to bid. It might be an impossible question to answer.
KickedPancake is offline  
Old 03-08-2018, 09:20 AM
  #5  
New Hire
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Mar 2018
Posts: 8
Default

Another one for MainlineAF...do you recall who the terminal expansion was favoring...if not American?
KickedPancake is offline  
Old 03-08-2018, 09:32 AM
  #6  
UCH Pilot
 
Joined APC: Oct 2014
Position: 787
Posts: 776
Default

Originally Posted by mainlineAF View Post
At AA ORD is one of the most senior bases. Also thereís been some recent news about ORD with regards to new terminal construction and from what i remember itís not favorable for AA.
United is getting 50% more new gates in ORD than AA is. It is going to become a super hub again. They just re-banked to allow more connecting flights. Thatís the corporate plan.
svergin is offline  
Old 03-08-2018, 12:47 PM
  #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2013
Posts: 854
Default

In the most recent bid at AA ORD 737 FO dropped somewhat from where it was. It now seems possible to make it there in about a year (that is only my guess). But it is a relatively senior base and will be for quite a while. With retirements even senior bases will have movement, though you may be on reserve longer there, or hold a worse line than more junior bases.

At United ORD was really junior in the past few years. I know people who got it almost immediately. But I don't know what their hiring looks like right now.

The dispute between AA and UAL at ORD was over 5 future gates in the proposed expansion. The only way that will have a large effect on the pilots is if AA goes nuclear and massively shrinks at ORD in response. I have no idea how likely or unlikely that is, but for now AA is refusing to sign onto expansion plans, at least according to a local newspaper article here (I have no inside knowledge).

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...228-story.html
ORDinary is offline  
Old 03-08-2018, 12:54 PM
  #8  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Oct 2015
Position: Gear slinger
Posts: 2,027
Default

Originally Posted by KickedPancake View Post
First post...so treat me gently .

Hypothetical situation - you want to be domiciled in Chicago and had an offer in hand from both American and United:

1. What is the relative seniority of the ORD domicile within each airline and

2. Best educated guess on which airline has the best opportunity for moving up the ranks of seniority at ORD most quickly.

Realize that part 2 is a bit of a "crystal ball" question but invite educated opinions. Even uneducated ones are welcome as long as they are funny.

Also realize that you might be only able to speak for one, not both of the companies wrt seniority but appreciate any info out there.

Thanks!
Easy... take the first class date offered, then go to United when it has a class for you.
Otterbox is offline  
Old 03-08-2018, 01:28 PM
  #9  
UCH Pilot
 
Joined APC: Oct 2014
Position: 787
Posts: 776
Default

Originally Posted by ORDinary View Post
In the most recent bid at AA ORD 737 FO dropped somewhat from where it was. It now seems possible to make it there in about a year (that is only my guess). But it is a relatively senior base and will be for quite a while. With retirements even senior bases will have movement, though you may be on reserve longer there, or hold a worse line than more junior bases.

At United ORD was really junior in the past few years. I know people who got it almost immediately. But I don't know what their hiring looks like right now.

The dispute between AA and UAL at ORD was over 5 future gates in the proposed expansion. The only way that will have a large effect on the pilots is if AA goes nuclear and massively shrinks at ORD in response. I have no idea how likely or unlikely that is, but for now AA is refusing to sign onto expansion plans, at least according to a local newspaper article here (I have no inside knowledge).

Emanuel vows to push ahead on $8.5B O'Hare expansion as American Airlines decries 'secret deal' - Chicago Tribune
Those 5 ďfuture gatesĒ represent the 5 gates American added, and United is merely getting 5 additional gates as well. Its like American is saying ďWe got our 5 gates, but we donít want United to get any moreĒ. American hasnít signed the deal, so they may end up abandoning ORD all together.
svergin is offline  
Old 03-08-2018, 01:45 PM
  #10  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Window seat
Posts: 4,606
Default

If you want to live in Chicago, and have an offer from UA and AA, you should pick UA.

Bigger base, I think they have more foreign destinations (w/b flying), and the city of Chicago just favored UA by strengthening UA while weakening AA.
Sliceback is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
cactiboss
American
3154
06-25-2014 11:54 AM
CurtissRobin
Cargo
7
03-18-2009 12:59 PM
Ferd149
Mergers and Acquisitions
112
05-15-2008 03:33 PM
31wins
Cargo
181
09-25-2007 06:17 PM
mike734
Major
15
09-17-2007 01:03 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread