Notices
Career Questions Career advice, interview prep and gouges, job fairs, etc.

Foreign pilots

Old 08-02-2018, 11:20 PM
  #1  
On Reserve
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Aug 2018
Posts: 14
Default Foreign pilots

Howdy Yíall,

Iím an A320 FO from Saudi Arabia. I work for FlyNas and I have around 3000 hours on the bus. I grew up in the United States and I always wanted to move back to the States. Iím wondering what is my chances of getting hired with DL ?

FYI: I did my flight training in the USA + college degree from Embry-Riddle. I never flight instructed neither worked for a regional carrier.
BA320 is offline  
Old 08-03-2018, 12:46 AM
  #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
AMC190's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2015
Posts: 272
Default

Iíd say apply to any regional, they will hire you over the phone right away like Mesa! Or any other regional that suites you where you wanna live at!
Then getting part 121 with the the bus and the Embry degree will increase your chances !! Delta likes fancy degrees!
AMC190 is offline  
Old 08-03-2018, 05:32 AM
  #3  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Sep 2016
Posts: 6,156
Default

Itís impossible to say. With a clean record and those quals, youíre certainly hireable by DL. The trick is getting them to actually call. Many qualified applicants havenít cracked that code.
OOfff is offline  
Old 08-03-2018, 06:47 AM
  #4  
Gets Weekends Off
 
galaxy flyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2010
Position: Baja Vermont
Posts: 5,155
Default

The eternal question: do you have the right to work in the US? Green card will do.

GF
galaxy flyer is offline  
Old 08-03-2018, 07:27 AM
  #5  
On Reserve
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Aug 2018
Posts: 14
Default

Originally Posted by AMC190 View Post
Iíd say apply to any regional, they will hire you over the phone right away like Mesa! Or any other regional that suites you where you wanna live at!
Then getting part 121 with the the bus and the Embry degree will increase your chances !! Delta likes fancy degrees!
I donít want to do regional; since Iím already working for a major in Saudi. I want to jumb to major right away. Iím thinking my A320 time might help me a lot; since DL has lots of A321 on the way. I would save the company lots of money for training.
BA320 is offline  
Old 08-03-2018, 07:28 AM
  #6  
On Reserve
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Aug 2018
Posts: 14
Default

Originally Posted by OOfff View Post
Itís impossible to say. With a clean record and those quals, youíre certainly hireable by DL. The trick is getting them to actually call. Many qualified applicants havenít cracked that code.
Thatís with every major Airlines!!! Itís all about networking I guess.
BA320 is offline  
Old 08-03-2018, 07:33 AM
  #7  
On Reserve
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Aug 2018
Posts: 14
Default

Originally Posted by galaxy flyer View Post
The eternal question: do you have the right to work in the US? Green card will do.

GF
Yes sir, I have a TSA clearance + If I get a call for an interview with any U.S company the U.S embassy will issue me a working Visa. The United States and Saudi Arabia are in a very good term ďDiplomaticallyĒ. We have a lot of American pilots in Saudi Arabia.
BA320 is offline  
Old 08-03-2018, 07:39 AM
  #8  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2010
Position: Representing the REAL Delta
Posts: 767
Default

Originally Posted by BA320 View Post
I donít want to do regional; since Iím already working for a major in Saudi. I want to jumb to major right away. Iím thinking my A320 time might help me a lot; since DL has lots of A321 on the way. I would save the company lots of money for training.
You may not want to do the regional route but that may be able to help you. We have an Iranian guy that flew the TU-154 over in Kazakhstan, immigrated to the US and spent a few years at a regional.

Honestly, the A320 time doesnít mean a whole lot. Delta is required to run everyone through the same training course, which means everyone cost the company the exact same with regards to training.
cornbeef007 is offline  
Old 08-03-2018, 08:25 AM
  #9  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 37,780
Default

Originally Posted by BA320 View Post
I don’t want to do regional; since I’m already working for a major in Saudi. I want to jumb to major right away. I’m thinking my A320 time might help me a lot; since DL has lots of A321 on the way. I would save the company lots of money for training.
By US standards your time is low, and if you don't have TPIC it's lower still.

Being foriegn will not hinder you, but typical civilians needs 6K-8K+ and at least 2k TPIC to really be on the radar of the good majors. It's possible to get called with much less, even less than what you have, but nobody knows what it takes to get called with low time. I suspect they might do it randomly, just to string along junior regional pilots, keeping their hope alive.

You could most likely get called by ULCC's in the US with your current experience (especially a bus operator).

Going to a regional would probably make you more competitive, sooner, but only you can decide if it's worth it. FYSA, there were several foriegn airline captains in my legacy new hire class.
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 08-03-2018, 09:24 AM
  #10  
On Reserve
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Aug 2018
Posts: 14
Default

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
By US standards your time is low, and if you don't have TPIC it's lower still.

Being foriegn will not hinder you, but typical civilians needs 6K-8K+ and at least 2k TPIC to really be on the radar of the good majors. It's possible to get called with much less, even less than what you have, but nobody knows what it takes to get called with low time. I suspect they might do it randomly, just to string along junior regional pilots, keeping their hope alive.

You could most likely get called by ULCC's in the US with your current experience (especially a bus operator).

Going to a regional would probably make you more competitive, sooner, but only you can decide if it's worth it. FYSA, there were several foriegn airline captains in my legacy new hire class.
First off all I would like to thank all of you for your input,

Currently Iím under commuting contract with FlyNas I commute back and forth to the states to see my fiancťe. I work 20on/10off and sometimes 20on/20off and I make an avg of 15k USD a month tax free!! 17k if I work aggressively. I understand that money is not everything and itís the QOL that Iím seeking. The truth should be said; it would really suck for me to work for a regional especially when I think about how much $$$ I used to make. I understand that I donít have any pic time but I also heared that DL hired regional FOs with no time on the left seat at all, in fact they only did regional for 2-3 years. ďHeared it from a compass recruiterĒ

Now, if stick with my airline and build another 3000 hours which would get me 6k hours total, would that make me more competitive? I might be able to jumb left seat after passing 5k hours.

Iím really surprised that legacy carriers doesnít really care if an applicant have 3000+ hours on the same equipment they operate.
Aviation rules in Saudi is FAA in fact all the airlines trains their pilots in the states.
BA320 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Crawl
CommutAir
5406
03-21-2020 06:45 AM
SpecialTracking
United
158
06-21-2019 03:59 PM
cactiboss
American
114
12-11-2015 07:54 PM
DCA A321 FO
American
373
08-18-2015 02:45 AM
Route66
American
6
04-08-2015 06:38 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread