Go Back   Airline Pilot Central Forums - Find your next job as a Pilot > >
Career Questions Career advice, interview prep and gouges, job fairs, etc.
 

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2019, 07:52 PM   #1  
New Hire
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Mar 2019
Position: CFI
Posts: 8
Default Mountain Flying time - Job Requirement

Job qualification: MOUNTAIN TIME

Many Alaska and midwest state’s piloting jobs advertise positions that require mountain flying experience. Can anyone advise how to present myself to be considered for a position without MOUNTAIN TIME?
TwentyBucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:18 PM   #2  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Mar 2018
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyBucks View Post
Job qualification: MOUNTAIN TIME

Many Alaska and midwest state’s piloting jobs advertise positions that require mountain flying experience. Can anyone advise how to present myself to be considered for a position without MOUNTAIN TIME?

Go get some mountain time.
PeteyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:34 PM   #3  
Disinterested Third Party
 
Joined APC: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyBucks View Post
Job qualification: MOUNTAIN TIME

Many Alaska and midwest state’s piloting jobs advertise positions that require mountain flying experience. Can anyone advise how to present myself to be considered for a position without MOUNTAIN TIME?
Are you asking if you can get a position without mountain experience, or if you can find a job that doesn't require mountain experience?
JohnBurke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:10 AM   #4  
Line Holder
 
ESQ702's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2019
Posts: 29
Default

I’ve seen some flight schools in the Rocky Mountain region offer specific instruction on mountain flying. That’s the first thing I’d look at if I were you. One school I know of where this is offered is: https://www.apaflyers.com

I’m sure there are plenty more.

Call and ask what the potential employer is looking for too before spending any money either way.
ESQ702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:40 AM   #5  
New Hire
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Mar 2019
Position: CFI
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
Are you asking if you can get a position without mountain experience, or if you can find a job that doesn't require mountain experience?


I would be asking why “Mountain Time” is relevant because FAA doesn’t track mountain time as a logbook entry, whereas, cross country time is universal (except maybe Hawaii).


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TwentyBucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:35 PM   #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
galaxy flyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2010
Position: Baja Vermont
Posts: 3,694
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyBucks View Post
I would be asking why “Mountain Time” is relevant because FAA doesn’t track mountain time as a logbook entry, whereas, cross country time is universal (except maybe Hawaii).


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Because there are a lot of ways to get your head handed to you and turn the owner’s plane into scrap in the mountains.

GF
galaxy flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:54 PM   #7  
All is fine at .79
 
TiredSoul's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: Paahlot
Posts: 1,390
Default

So how do I get PIC time without PIC time?
The chicken and the egg.
TiredSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:56 AM   #8  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Aug 2016
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredSoul View Post
So how do I get PIC time without PIC time?
The chicken and the egg.
I would imagine the same way one would get tailwheel time without having tailwheel time, hire an instructor to give you some training, and then either buy/rent an airplane to build some time in, or talk an operator into hiring you and giving you a chance to prove yourself.
urp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:04 PM   #9  
Disinterested Third Party
 
Joined APC: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESQ702 View Post
I’ve seen some flight schools in the Rocky Mountain region offer specific instruction on mountain flying. That’s the first thing I’d look at if I were you. One school I know of where this is offered is: https://www.apaflyers.com

I’m sure there are plenty more.

Call and ask what the potential employer is looking for too before spending any money either way.
It's relevant because the employer is asking for it.

It may be relevant because the insurance company wants to see it.

It may be relevant because the company has a government contract or requires OAS/OAM carding, which specifies "typical terrain" (eg, mountain flying), etc.

There could be a lot of reasons, such as the company flies around mountainous terrain.

If the company wants cross country time, they can specify cross country time.

If they've specified mountain time, then that's what they want. That makes it very relevant.
JohnBurke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:18 PM   #10  
Line Holder
 
ESQ702's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2019
Posts: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
It's relevant because the employer is asking for it.

It may be relevant because the insurance company wants to see it.

It may be relevant because the company has a government contract or requires OAS/OAM carding, which specifies "typical terrain" (eg, mountain flying), etc.

There could be a lot of reasons, such as the company flies around mountainous terrain.

If the company wants cross country time, they can specify cross country time.

If they've specified mountain time, then that's what they want. That makes it very relevant.
Totally agree. I never said it wasn’t relevant.
ESQ702 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 

 
Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Truth About Tradewind TWInsider Part 135 67 08-01-2018 06:41 PM
JetBlue New Hire Info Southerner Major 264 02-07-2013 06:28 PM
Is airline flying really for you??? dd89 Flight Schools and Training 34 08-23-2009 11:08 AM
King Air B-200 Question wmuflyboy Flight Schools and Training 29 05-30-2009 08:40 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:25 PM.


vBulletin® v3.9.3.5, Copyright ©2000-2019, MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright ©2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1