Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2021, 08:56 AM   #11  
Gets Weekends Off
 
TOGALOCK's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2018
Posts: 197
Default

To the OP:

Rick touched on a good point in his post. In my original post I failed to consider the fact that you are newly transplanted to the US from Europe. How familiar are you with flight training, airline hiring and the airline lifestyle/career progression here in the United States? This could all vary greatly from what you’re used to depending on where in Europe we’re talking about. Feel free to fire away any questions you have! Having the right answers could have a big influence on your decisions.
TOGALOCK is offline  
Old 01-14-2021, 10:07 AM   #12  
On Reserve
Thread Starter
 
LaGuardia's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2016
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGALOCK View Post
To the OP:

Rick touched on a good point in his post. In my original post I failed to consider the fact that you are newly transplanted to the US from Europe. How familiar are you with flight training, airline hiring and the airline lifestyle/career progression here in the United States? This could all vary greatly from what you’re used to depending on where in Europe we’re talking about. Feel free to fire away any questions you have! Having the right answers could have a big influence on your decisions.
Thanks!
I DM'd you!
LaGuardia is offline  
Old 01-15-2021, 12:46 AM   #13  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Oct 2020
Posts: 5
Default Should I start flight training in college

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie320 View Post
If you wait three years to start training, you’ll probably miss the next hiring wave.
Hey. I'm 18 and I'm currently in college working on my 4 year business degree . I plan on going to flight school when I'm done, which will be 2024. One of my worries is time. I'm afraid I will miss the hiring wave. My college has a flight program. Should I take the risk and do the flight program or complete my business degree and get my flight ratings elsewhere? Any advice would be appreciated
Brit43 is offline  
Old 01-15-2021, 07:30 AM   #14  
Gets Weekends Off
 
galaxy flyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2010
Position: Baja Vermont
Posts: 4,363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit43 View Post
Hey. I'm 18 and I'm currently in college working on my 4 year business degree . I plan on going to flight school when I'm done, which will be 2024. One of my worries is time. I'm afraid I will miss the hiring wave. My college has a flight program. Should I take the risk and do the flight program or complete my business degree and get my flight ratings elsewhere? Any advice would be appreciated
Fact is, you need your 4-year degree, so keep going there. Next, while structured programs are best, I’d start slowly while in college. Find a local Part 61 school, get a first class medical and get your private there. If things go well, then start towards the rest. I worked while in a local college at a small airport, discounted rates on flying and an income in college.
galaxy flyer is offline  
Old 01-15-2021, 07:45 AM   #15  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 28,059
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit43 View Post
Hey. I'm 18 and I'm currently in college working on my 4 year business degree . I plan on going to flight school when I'm done, which will be 2024. One of my worries is time. I'm afraid I will miss the hiring wave. My college has a flight program. Should I take the risk and do the flight program or complete my business degree and get my flight ratings elsewhere? Any advice would be appreciated
You'll catch the tail-end of the wave at the regionals, maybe enough to get hired at a major expeditiously. But most of it will be over once you're at a major, just too young (but you'll doubtless enjoy the next one, whenever that is).

You could work on your ratings on the side at a 61 school, should be able to get to CFI in four years part-time.

The biz degree might be a useful backup at some point, I'd try to do that if you can.
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 01-15-2021, 09:56 AM   #16  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Rama's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,130
Default

You have to have the back up plan.
There will always be ups and downs in the industry. Many people ( including me) have been furloughed, even more than once, at some point.
Rama is offline  
Old 01-15-2021, 11:36 AM   #17  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Jan 2021
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit43 View Post
Hey. I'm 18 and I'm currently in college working on my 4 year business degree . I plan on going to flight school when I'm done, which will be 2024. One of my worries is time. I'm afraid I will miss the hiring wave. My college has a flight program. Should I take the risk and do the flight program or complete my business degree and get my flight ratings elsewhere? Any advice would be appreciated
It’s not all about “catching the wave”. College is a big commitment in many ways; Physical, Mental, Time and of course Money. Adding in flight training on top of that is another large commitment - even a PPL under part 61.

My opinion is to do what suits you. If you are comfortable with the current work load for your degree and feel you can add more of all the above mentioned factors, then do some research. If you’re already maxed out with no free time, spare brain power or money then now is not the right time.
QRH Bingo is offline  
Old 01-17-2021, 11:30 AM   #18  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Oct 2020
Posts: 5
Default Should I minor in pilot studies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QRH Bingo View Post
It’s not all about “catching the wave”. College is a big commitment in many ways; Physical, Mental, Time and of course Money. Adding in flight training on top of that is another large commitment - even a PPL under part 61.

My opinion is to do what suits you. If you are comfortable with the current work load for your degree and feel you can add more of all the above mentioned factors, then do some research. If you’re already maxed out with no free time, spare brain power or money then now is not the right time.
Hey, my school apparently offers a minor in professional pilot. They start you at private all the way to multi engine flight. I still want to keep my business while minoring in flight. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by Brit43; 01-17-2021 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Typo
Brit43 is offline  
Old 01-17-2021, 12:12 PM   #19  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 28,059
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit43 View Post
Hey, my school apparently offers a minor in professional pilot. They start you at private all the way to multi engine flight. I still want to keep my business while minoring in flight. Any advice would be appreciated.
If that minor provides eligibility for R-ATP minimums, then I would seriously consider that route... major in something useful, minor in aviation.

Keep in mind that university flight programs tend to be expensive, if you hustle you can usually attend a non-aviation college, do flight training on the side for lower cost, and complete the CFI ratings by the time you graduate. You'll just need to CFI for an additional 500 hours, compared to R-ATP eligibility. Depends on your personal finances, if cost is no object I'd probably do the structured university minor program just so you don't have to try to juggle part 61 training with college.
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 01-17-2021, 01:45 PM   #20  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Oct 2020
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
If that minor provides eligibility for R-ATP minimums, then I would seriously consider that route... major in something useful, minor in aviation.

Keep in mind that university flight programs tend to be expensive, if you hustle you can usually attend a non-aviation college, do flight training on the side for lower cost, and complete the CFI ratings by the time you graduate. You'll just need to CFI for an additional 500 hours, compared to R-ATP eligibility. Depends on your personal finances, if cost is no object I'd probably do the structured university minor program just so you don't have to try to juggle part 61 training with college.
Hey rick, thank you for your contribution. I have a question. Currently I'm taking online classes to avoid debt. I also have a scholarship going for me. I've applied to other scholarship opportunities. My estimated debt with my major in business is roughly around 20k. If I were to minor in piloting, that would be an additional 60k, equalling to about 80k undergrad business degree plus flight ratings. Unfortunately, you have to be an aviation major to qualify for the R-Atp. I just want to make it infront of hiring wave coming so that I could be in a good position the next downturn or potentially go to the majors without upgrading for caption on the regionals. Sorry for the lengthy post. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Brit43; 01-17-2021 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Typo
Brit43 is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:02 AM.