Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Cargo (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/cargo/)
-   -   Thinking about Cargo? - A Contract Comparison (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/cargo/117175-thinking-about-cargo-contract-comparison.html)

SaltyDog 10-05-2018 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackhawk (Post 2686232)
Another consideration. How long to retirement. Based on my age I will never see the Max FO pay at UPS or FedEx, much less the max CA pay. At another carrier, yes. At someplace like Kalitta I have a chance of making CA pay in the next 10 years. As much as the max CA pay at FedEx or UPS? Nope. But probably more than I would make there as an FO.
Also, I think Kalitta domestic DH is 50%, but international is 100%:

In present market and retirement rates, today's new hires at FedEx or UPS will be Captain at 10 years if they choose. Don't discount these two contracts additional DCP and DBP compensation which is not insignificant plus higher monthly guarantee hours.
Cant accurately foretell the future at any place though.

Blackhawk 10-05-2018 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaltyDog (Post 2686360)
In present market and retirement rates, today's new hires at FedEx or UPS will be Captain at 10 years if they choose. Don't discount these two contracts additional DCP and DBP compensation which is not insignificant plus higher monthly guarantee hours.
Cant accurately foretell the future at any place though.

My current window is just under 10 years. None of the majors or UPS/FedEx will touch me as I’ve been in the same seat too long and am deemed “untrainable”. Also my GPA from college was less than a 3.0 (double major, drilling with the Guard, well known tough school). So I would have to go somewhere else first to be trained and “prove myself”. By the time I am trained elsewhere, get an interview date, maybe a successful interview, put in the pool, get a class date... I’m down to maybe 8 years. With compressed time the advantages diminish.

Blackhawk 10-05-2018 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sky jet (Post 2686311)
Nope, 50%:mad:

Just read that. I was told wrong.

SaltyDog 10-05-2018 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackhawk (Post 2686372)
My current window is just under 10 years. None of the majors or UPS/FedEx will touch me as I’ve been in the same seat too long and am deemed “untrainable”. Also my GPA from college was less than a 3.0 (double major, drilling with the Guard, well known tough school). So I would have to go somewhere else first to be trained and “prove myself”. By the time I am trained elsewhere, get an interview date, maybe a successful interview, put in the pool, get a class date... I’m down to maybe 8 years. With compressed time the advantages diminish.

Seems everyone does want a fresh type rating from current employer to demonstrate "trainability" :/
Instructor or LCA carries weight in HR as well.
Best of fortunes

Av8er1550 10-05-2018 07:49 AM

Thinking about Cargo? - A Contract Comparison
 
I know this is probably a ridiculous question but I’m going to ask it anyways. I’ve been with one regional so far so I know how it works on my side but not at other airlines. When looking at the compensation charts, would a 15 year FO upgrading to captain receive 15 year CA pay? Or is this what DOS+(whatever) is intended for?

Excellent post by the way! Thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Locke 10-05-2018 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Av8er1550 (Post 2686407)
I know this is probably a ridiculous question but I’m going to ask it anyways. I’ve been with one regional so far so I know how it works on my side but not at other airlines. When looking at the compensation charts, would a 15 year FO upgrading to captain receive 15 year CA pay? Or is this what DOS+(whatever) is intended for?

Excellent post by the way! Thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, a 15 year FO would be paid as a 15 year captain when he upgrades with the exception being a few foreign carriers. Also DOS is date of signing of the contract. So say the contract is signed on Jan 1st, but you were hired Jun before the signing. You get your yearly raise in Jun, and you get an additional raise the next Jan 1st because the pay scale will be DOS+1.

Clear as mud?

Av8er1550 10-05-2018 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Locke (Post 2686447)
Yes, a 15 year FO would be paid as a 15 year captain when he upgrades with the exception being a few foreign carriers. Also DOS is date of signing of the contract. So say the contract is signed on Jan 1st, but you were hired Jun before the signing. You get your yearly raise in Jun, and you get an additional raise the next Jan 1st because the pay scale will be DOS+1.



Clear as mud?



Got it! Thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No Land 3 10-05-2018 02:22 PM

Blackhawk, you'd do very well to come to K4, if you can handle the 16 days on the road.

Blackhawk 10-05-2018 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Land 3 (Post 2686654)
Blackhawk, you'd do very well to come to K4, if you can handle the 16 days on the road.

I agree. I’m on my way.

shroomwell 10-05-2018 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grundt (Post 2686111)
Make an informed decision and know what you’re getting into.

https://www.pilotcontracts.org/

I swear I’m not trying to be a jerk. But you misspelled “knowledge” on the web page.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:47 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright ©2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands