Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2019, 05:45 PM   #51  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2017
Posts: 464
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVOK84 View Post
My rant was mainly motivated by this type of aviation article, of which I've seen more and more lately. The author typically spouts some obvious fix for a perceived problem, devoid of any diligence or effort, and oftentimes as a guise for some ill-formed political ideology. They then choose to back up these claims with little to no expertise in aviation.

Hope that clarified things.
I really liked the "the rest are of the world does it this way" thread that ran throughout the article. Other countries also do ab initio training and have 250 hour guys sitting in the right seat of 100-200+ passenger jets.

I bet we'd avert any pilot shortage really quickly if we went back to that.
WhiteMorpheus is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 05:53 PM   #52  
Gets Weekends Off
 
CAVOK84's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: Bus
Posts: 106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMorpheus View Post
I really liked the "the rest are of the world does it this way" thread that ran throughout the article. Other countries also do ab initio training and have 250 hour guys sitting in the right seat of 100-200+ passenger jets.

I bet we'd avert any pilot shortage really quickly if we went back to that.
The last article I read that was similar to this one was advocating just that...
CAVOK84 is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 07:40 PM   #53  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2017
Posts: 257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxpilot View Post
Last year. It happens frequently.

Iíd like to say thatís good to hear. But it would be better for contract if thatís not the case. Iím still betting that FDX/ups will feel a pilot shortage before any legacy though. Time will tell.
FXLAX is offline  
Old 04-28-2019, 01:00 AM   #54  
Gets Weekends Off
 
robxjt27's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2013
Posts: 150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighterpilo View Post
This chicken and egg argument has been debated ad naseum on here. In reality this argument breaks down to those without a degree, arguing against it and those with a degree (usually employed at the carriers the guys without degree are wanting to work for) stating just bite the bullet. Personally I believe itís a barrier to entry and if we want to be treated and paid as professionals it should stay. The carriers that pay lowest wages (ie regionals) donít require it and as such hire any pilot with a pulse and pay as such. What others here are trying to get you to understand is that the legacyís want a well rounded applicant, not just stick and rudder guys. One of the many reasons they have lately been putting a emphasis on volunteer work. We arenít plumbers or welders and we view ourselves as white collared professionals. As such an emphasis on higher education is a good thing.
Ding, ding, ding....we have a winner. Do you know what the highest paid job in the country is without a college education? An elevator worker/mechanic. My father did that for the better part of his work life. Just get the degree. There are quite a few regional airline folks working on their masters degree too. Why? Because they want a high paying job.
robxjt27 is offline  
Old 05-02-2019, 10:02 AM   #55  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2008
Posts: 290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robxjt27 View Post
Ding, ding, ding....we have a winner. Do you know what the highest paid job in the country is without a college education? An elevator worker/mechanic. My father did that for the better part of his work life. Just get the degree. There are quite a few regional airline folks working on their masters degree too. Why? Because they want a high paying job.
To your point -- I'm at a regional and working on my master's degree. Why? Because I want to fight my way into a FedEx or legacy job.
Voski is offline  
Old 05-03-2019, 04:23 AM   #56  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2012
Posts: 465
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXLAX View Post
Iíd like to say thatís good to hear. But it would be better for contract if thatís not the case. Iím still betting that FDX/ups will feel a pilot shortage before any legacy though. Time will tell.

Not so much them, but the acmi world, which would help those guysí negotiations and the wal martization/whip saw being done by amazon.
Grumpyaviator is offline  
Old 05-08-2019, 04:20 AM   #57  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Oct 2017
Posts: 152
Default

A degree requirement for the higher paying flying jobs is no doubt a deterrent for somebody entering the field. If a potential candidate knows she will stop at the second tier with just her ratings, the 100k may go towards a degree instead, if it can only be one or the other, because of limited time, commitment, and/or resources. The article isn't complete crap.
Xjrstreetcar is offline  
Old 05-08-2019, 07:18 AM   #58  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2012
Posts: 465
Default

Less competition for those willing to make the effort to meet the requirements. I was one who thought a degree was pointless, until I finally buckled down and got it, while raising a family, working two jobs and heavily involved in volunteer work. I was hired at a major shortly after. Even if I could’ve gotten the job without it, I’m glad I accomplished it.

If someone is dead-set against getting a degree “on principal”, those who have one will appreciate having less competition.
Grumpyaviator is offline  
Old 05-08-2019, 07:27 AM   #59  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2012
Posts: 465
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA31 View Post
Southwest and Hawaiian Airlines frequently hire pilots without a bachelors degree.
It happens at Swa, but far from frequently. Maybe a percent or two of well-connected applicants.
Grumpyaviator is offline  
Old 05-08-2019, 07:32 AM   #60  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2012
Posts: 465
Default

If I had no degree and was just starting, Iíd go to an AA wholly-owned. Donít need a degree and get a number at AA. Maybe this will start a trend, but in the meantime, a degree is necessary to go anywhere else.
Grumpyaviator is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:33 PM.