Notices
Flight Schools and Training Ratings, building hours, airmanship, CFI topics

multi engine commercial

Old 05-20-2009, 05:45 PM
  #1  
Line Holder
Thread Starter
 
jcaplins's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2009
Posts: 96
Default multi engine commercial

Hello,

I am preparing for my multi-engine commercial. My instructor said, go home and make sure you have all the hours you need.

According to the FAR 61.129, I need to complete a 2 hr day, 2 hour night X-C and a 300 nm X-C in a multi engine aircraft.

I have all those times in a single. but not the multi. I have never heard of anyone doing the X-C's in a twin.

The FARs seem to state I need to do them for both the single and twin.

What am I missing?


Note: I met all the requirements for a single-engine commercial,and was prepared for the checkride, but life chages came along and after a 3 year delay, I am back at it. This time I am doing the Multi-engine 1st and will do a single engine commercial add-on later.



Thanks,
Jeff
jcaplins is offline  
Old 05-20-2009, 06:06 PM
  #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2008
Posts: 270
Default

You wouldn't need the XC for a multi add-on but since it's your initial, you do.
esa17 is offline  
Old 05-20-2009, 06:12 PM
  #3  
Does NOT get weekends off
 
snippercr's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: ERJ - 145
Posts: 1,631
Default

It probably would be cheaper to get a commercial single FIRST then get the added multiengine class rating. I know some pilot factories just have them go multi-commercial first.
snippercr is offline  
Old 05-20-2009, 07:29 PM
  #4  
Gets Weekends Off
 
ryan1234's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: USAF
Posts: 1,398
Default

Also, make sure you meet the night time landings at a towered airport in a multi...

Is this your initial multi? Or do you have a private multi?

When you get all of the requirements.. it is possible for the examiner to do both, multi and then single in one day.

also... be proficient at one engine out approaches...

good luck
ryan1234 is offline  
Old 05-21-2009, 04:57 AM
  #5  
Line Holder
Thread Starter
 
jcaplins's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2009
Posts: 96
Default still confused, not lookin good.

I do not have private muti.
I have private SEL, SES, instrument rating.
All requirements are met for a Commercial SEL (I havn't done the manouvers in a long time)

All Multi engine training is complete with the exception of the X-C's.

I can not find anywhere in the FAR's that specify if it's an "add on" then you can skip some of the requirements.
Where is that info? It reads as if all the X-C's are still required.

The reason for going for the multi first was the lack of complex and twin aircraft in the local area. And I own a C-152. If i have to travel, I will travel for twin time, then do a single add on in my C-152 (no need to rent a complex also).

It now seems I may have to do the initial commercial in my C-152, then do the multi add on in the twin. Possible the same day. (not what I have been planning for)

I would still like to know if I can do the initial commercial in the twin without the twin X-C time. ??



Thanks for the help so far,
Jeff
jcaplins is offline  
Old 05-21-2009, 07:29 AM
  #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
MachJ's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2008
Posts: 144
Default

Originally Posted by jcaplins View Post
I do not have private muti.
I have private SEL, SES, instrument rating.
All requirements are met for a Commercial SEL (I havn't done the manouvers in a long time)

All Multi engine training is complete with the exception of the X-C's.

I can not find anywhere in the FAR's that specify if it's an "add on" then you can skip some of the requirements.
Where is that info? It reads as if all the X-C's are still required.
61.63 (c) (4)

Originally Posted by jcaplins View Post
The reason for going for the multi first was the lack of complex and twin aircraft in the local area. And I own a C-152. If i have to travel, I will travel for twin time, then do a single add on in my C-152 (no need to rent a complex also).

It now seems I may have to do the initial commercial in my C-152, then do the multi add on in the twin. Possible the same day. (not what I have been planning for)
The practical test must be done in a complex aircraft...can't be done in the C-152.

Originally Posted by jcaplins View Post
I would still like to know if I can do the initial commercial in the twin without the twin X-C time. ??



Thanks for the help so far,
Jeff
No. You don't meet the requirements. My recommendation would be get proficient in a complex single, take the Commercial ASEL first, then do a AMEL added class checkride.
Good luck!
MachJ is offline  
Old 05-21-2009, 08:38 AM
  #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
propjunkie's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2009
Position: E-170
Posts: 173
Default

Originally Posted by jcaplins View Post
Hello,

I am preparing for my multi-engine commercial. My instructor said, go home and make sure you have all the hours you need.

According to the FAR 61.129, I need to complete a 2 hr day, 2 hour night X-C and a 300 nm X-C in a multi engine aircraft.

I have all those times in a single. but not the multi. I have never heard of anyone doing the X-C's in a twin.

The FARs seem to state I need to do them for both the single and twin.

What am I missing?


Note: I met all the requirements for a single-engine commercial,and was prepared for the checkride, but life chages came along and after a 3 year delay, I am back at it. This time I am doing the Multi-engine 1st and will do a single engine commercial add-on later.



Thanks,
Jeff
Wow you got a great instructor there!

You will need to do 3 cross countries in a twin. your 2 hour day, 2 hour night, and your long x-c all in a multi.
propjunkie is offline  
Old 05-21-2009, 01:57 PM
  #8  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Gajre539's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: EMB-170 FO
Posts: 383
Default

Originally Posted by propjunkie View Post
Wow you got a great instructor there!

You will need to do 3 cross countries in a twin. your 2 hour day, 2 hour night, and your long x-c all in a multi.
What ^^^ said.

You can combine the day and night flight. Go to an airport that is more than 100 NM miles and 2 hours away and land there during the day time. Wait for night and then fly back.

You will need all this...

Sec. 61.129 Aeronautical experience
(b) For an airplane multiengine rating. Except as provided in paragraph (i) of this section, a person who applies for a commercial pilot certificate with an airplane category and multiengine class rating must log at least 250 hours of flight time as a pilot that consists of at least:

(1) 100 hours in powered aircraft, of which 50 hours must be in airplanes.

(2) 100 hours of pilot-in-command flight time, which includes at least—

(i) 50 hours in airplanes; and

(ii) 50 hours in cross-country flight of which at least 10 hours must be in airplanes.

(3) 20 hours of training on the areas of operation listed in 61.127(b)(2) of this part that includes at least—

(i) 10 hours of instrument training of which at least 5 hours must be in a multiengine airplane;

(ii) 10 hours of training in a multiengine airplane that has a retractable landing gear, flaps, and controllable pitch propellers, or is turbine-powered, or for an applicant seeking a multiengine seaplane rating, 10 hours of training in a multiengine seaplane that has flaps and a controllable pitch propeller;

(iii) One cross-country flight of at least 2 hours in a multiengine airplane in day VFR conditions, consisting of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure;

(iv) One cross-country flight of at least 2 hours in a multiengine airplane in night VFR conditions, consisting of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and

(v) 3 hours in a multiengine airplane in preparation for the practical test within the 60-day period preceding the date of the test.

(4) 10 hours of solo flight time in a multiengine airplane or 10 hours of flight time performing the duties of pilot in command in a multiengine airplane with an authorized instructor (either of which may be credited towards the flight time requirement in paragraph (b)(2) of this section), on the areas of operation listed in 61.127(b)(2) of this part that includes at least—

(i) One cross-country flight of not less than 300 nautical miles total distance with landings at a minimum of three points, one of which is a straight-line distance of at least 250 nautical miles from the original departure point.

(ii) 5 hours in night VFR conditions with 10 takeoffs and 10 landings (with each landing involving a flight with a traffic pattern) at an airport with an operating control tower.

Oh and find another MEI.
Gajre539 is offline  
Old 05-21-2009, 04:29 PM
  #9  
Line Holder
Thread Starter
 
jcaplins's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2009
Posts: 96
Default i got it figured out.

thanks for all the help.

Since I have all the minimums for a comm SE and then ME add on, I will just rent the 17rg, practice the maneuvers and schedule a check ride. No need for more XC's. I'll then schedule a ME comm add-on soon after.


This is not the fault of the instructor. My training started over 3 years ago and I took a break for 2 years. I've moved out of the country, then another state, and changed flight schools, instructors, and airplanes several times since the beginning. I though I had a good plan in my head; just turns out it wasn't. Not the instructors fault.


Thanks again,
Jeff
jcaplins is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
mxaexm
Flight Schools and Training
11
02-07-2009 02:34 AM
RmTrice
Flight Schools and Training
12
10-16-2008 01:33 PM
lifter123
Flight Schools and Training
3
08-31-2008 08:27 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread