Go Back   Airline Pilot Central Forums - Find your next job as a Pilot > >
Flight Schools and Training Ratings, building hours, airmanship, CFI topics
 

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2017, 12:06 PM   #1
New Hire
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Nov 2016
Position: Student Pilot
Posts: 9
Default Flight Safety Academy pilot program

I've done a few searches on here for Flight Safety Academy but most of the threads I found looked old. So I wanted to see if there was any updates.

I'm currently working on my PPL through a local flight school, but I'm looking at attending a more structured professional pilot program this coming fall. I've been considering ATP, but I'm a little concerned with the pace of the course and the cost. I noticed that Flight Safety Academy seems to have pretty good reviews, and they are also VA Approved (which would be a huge financial help).

Just seeing if there is any more recent information out there I could learn from you all. Their website seems a bit outdated..

thanks.
Macchi30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:45 PM   #2
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Dec 2016
Posts: 21
Default

Macchi,

I have also been looking at both Flight Safety Academy and ATP.

ATP seems to have a lot of info and threads on the forums. Flight Safety, not so much.

Hopefully some people in the know will reply to your thread with more information.

~John
Nunavut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:45 PM   #3
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Jan 2017
Posts: 2
Default

Last year, ATP didn't take any VA benefits and apparently need PERFECT credit and over 100k income to get a loan for them. If you're VA, use Post 9/11 at any public institution and get all paid for.
Tigflt17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:10 PM   #4
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Admiral
Posts: 489
Default

Flight Safety Academy had been around for a while and has a decent reputation. It's also a Berkshire Hathaway Company.
Flyhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:43 AM   #5
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Oct 2015
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigflt17 View Post
Last year, ATP didn't take any VA benefits and apparently need PERFECT credit and over 100k income to get a loan for them. If you're VA, use Post 9/11 at any public institution and get all paid for.

I can't comment on the VA benefits, but I can comment on the portion in bold. I secured my loan for ATP (via Sallie Mae) with a credit score in the low 700s, a cosigner, and an interest rate of 8.1%. Neither I nor my cosigner have an income of 100K or greater.
FlyingStormie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:54 AM   #6
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Apr 2015
Posts: 177
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingStormie View Post
I can't comment on the VA benefits, but I can comment on the portion in bold. I secured my loan for ATP (via Sallie Mae) with a credit score in the low 700s, a cosigner, and an interest rate of 8.1%. Neither I nor my cosigner have an income of 100K or greater.
8%?! Holy crap.
Treehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:29 AM   #7
New Hire
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Nov 2016
Position: Student Pilot
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigflt17 View Post
If you're VA, use Post 9/11 at any public institution and get all paid for.
I don't believe the VA does this anymore. They got played by Upper Limit Aviation out in Utah. After that, they put a cap on Flight benefits. With the Post 9/11 chapter 33 section, they will only provide a vet with 100% benefits $12,000/yr toward flight training. And it specifically only covers select ratings.

but anyways, after my last lesson this past week, I think I might just knock all my training out through my local flight school. They said they could do it for way cheaper than any big school, my time will be more flexible, and the biggest thing... I'll be able to keep working at my current job.
Macchi30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:03 AM   #8
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2012
Posts: 230
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macchi30 View Post
I don't believe the VA does this anymore. They got played by Upper Limit Aviation out in Utah. After that, they put a cap on Flight benefits. With the Post 9/11 chapter 33 section, they will only provide a vet with 100% benefits $12,000/yr toward flight training. And it specifically only covers select ratings.

but anyways, after my last lesson this past week, I think I might just knock all my training out through my local flight school. They said they could do it for way cheaper than any big school, my time will be more flexible, and the biggest thing... I'll be able to keep working at my current job.
The info above on Post 9/11 is true for vocational flight training programs.

If training through an accredited college, such as US Aviation's associates degree program with Tarrant County College, the VA will pay for TCO minimums of Instrument, Commercial, Multi, and CFIs. The VA will not pay for Private Pilot though college loans (or some of your BAH) can be used to pay for Private.
kingsnake2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:24 PM   #9
Banned
 
Joined APC: Sep 2016
Posts: 372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehorn View Post
8%?! Holy crap.
I didn't have a cosigner, and my rate is 13% fixed.
NMuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:04 PM   #10
Banned
 
Joined APC: Dec 2014
Posts: 533
Default

My god that should be criminal... what are your payments, like $1300 a month?
Whiplash6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 

 
Reply

Tags
flight safety academy, pilot training
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FDX QA Observations trigg41 Cargo 160 08-04-2014 12:36 AM
FDX Jumpseats MX727 Cargo 220 06-26-2013 11:17 AM
On-Call Is Not Rest SR22 Part 135 116 01-19-2010 09:39 PM
New Rumor From Good Source Another Excess FR8Hauler Cargo 80 08-22-2009 07:16 PM
Flight Safety Academy CFI program lipe0201 Flight Schools and Training 13 05-10-2007 08:14 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:46 AM.


vBulletin® v3.9.3.3, Copyright ©2000-2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000 - 2017 Internet Brands, Inc.