Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Foreign
Canadian airline crew still being held >

Canadian airline crew still being held

Notices
Foreign Airlines that hire U.S. pilots

Canadian airline crew still being held

Old 03-24-2023, 08:29 AM
  #21  
Disinterested Third Party
 
Joined APC: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,089
Default

Originally Posted by Cranberry View Post
Why would the crew open the hatch and report on themselves if they were involved? This dude really seems to have a bone to pick with Safdar.
You're responding to me. I didn't mention Safdar. You just did.

With the stupidity about hiring mercenaries to "rescue" a crew that was legally held under Dominican law, one must consider that it's possible the crew or airline was involved. One must consider that passengers were involved. One must consider that the client was involved. One must consider that none of the above were involved. Regardless, the detention of the aircraft and crew was legal under Dominican law. The Canadian government saw fit not to push that issue, and the RCMP stated at the time of detention that the act was legal.

An airline which desires to continue operating internationally would best be served by not hiring mercenaries to extract an aircraft and crew that are legally detained.
JohnBurke is offline  
Old 03-24-2023, 09:22 AM
  #22  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Mar 2023
Posts: 41
Default

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
You're responding to me. I didn't mention Safdar. You just did.

With the stupidity about hiring mercenaries to "rescue" a crew that was legally held under Dominican law, one must consider that it's possible the crew or airline was involved. One must consider that passengers were involved. One must consider that the client was involved. One must consider that none of the above were involved. Regardless, the detention of the aircraft and crew was legal under Dominican law. The Canadian government saw fit not to push that issue, and the RCMP stated at the time of detention that the act was legal.

An airline which desires to continue operating internationally would best be served by not hiring mercenaries to extract an aircraft and crew that are legally detained.
Well he did have the caveat of it being a “reputable” mercenary team. I just checked Angie’s List and didn’t find any 5 star teams in my area though.

This post brought to you by Angie’s List.
Cranberry is offline  
Old 03-24-2023, 12:47 PM
  #23  
Gets Weekends Off
 
SonicFlyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2017
Posts: 3,610
Default

Originally Posted by Cranberry View Post
Well he did have the caveat of it being a “reputable” mercenary team. I just checked Angie’s List and didn’t find any 5 star teams in my area though.

This post brought to you by Angie’s List.
They do in fact exist, here is one of the better known ones:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Outcomes
SonicFlyer is offline  
Old 03-24-2023, 12:50 PM
  #24  
Gets Weekends Off
 
SonicFlyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2017
Posts: 3,610
Default

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
With the stupidity about hiring mercenaries to "rescue" a crew that was legally held under Dominican law
An airline which desires to continue operating internationally would best be served by not hiring mercenaries to extract an aircraft and crew that are legally detained.
Maybe at first, but not after months, and not after the legal shenanigans perpetuated by the DR legal "system."

Allowing 3rd world kangaroo courts detain your assets and personnel for extended periods of time without actual due process is bad business.
SonicFlyer is offline  
Old 03-24-2023, 06:20 PM
  #25  
Disinterested Third Party
 
Joined APC: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,089
Default

Originally Posted by SonicFlyer View Post
Maybe at first, but not after months, and not after the legal shenanigans perpetuated by the DR legal "system."

Allowing 3rd world kangaroo courts detain your assets and personnel for extended periods of time without actual due process is bad business.
You don’t get to impose your own legal definitions on another country’s legal system.

Part of going to another country is that you are subject to the laws of that country.

“Due process” is not a universal, or universally-defined concept.
JohnBurke is offline  
Old 03-26-2023, 01:52 PM
  #26  
Gets Weekends Off
 
SonicFlyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2017
Posts: 3,610
Default

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
You don’t get to impose your own legal definitions on another country’s legal system.

Part of going to another country is that you are subject to the laws of that country.

“Due process” is not a universal, or universally-defined concept.
All the more reason to seriously consider a hired extract if things go sideways.
SonicFlyer is offline  
Old 03-31-2023, 06:09 AM
  #27  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Ludicrous Speed's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2012
Posts: 400
Default

Originally Posted by SonicFlyer View Post
All the more reason to seriously consider a hired extract if things go sideways.
Put the pipe down and take a step back from the Russel Crowe and Sylvester Stallone movies.
Ludicrous Speed is offline  
Old 03-31-2023, 06:15 PM
  #28  
Gets Weekends Off
 
SonicFlyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2017
Posts: 3,610
Default

Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
Put the pipe down and take a step back from the Russel Crowe and Sylvester Stallone movies.
You do understand that the town they were in is about 50 miles from Puerto Rico, right? A boat trip over there before anyone even noticed they were missing would not have been unrealistic.
SonicFlyer is offline  
Old 04-01-2023, 06:41 AM
  #29  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2015
Posts: 643
Default

International warrant for bail/bond jumping? Kind of limits countries they could fly to for the rest of their lives. Better for Canada to trade an arms dealer for each of the flight crew.
Bigpimppilot is offline  
Old 04-01-2023, 08:01 AM
  #30  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Ludicrous Speed's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2012
Posts: 400
Default

Originally Posted by SonicFlyer View Post
You do understand that the town they were in is about 50 miles from Puerto Rico, right? A boat trip over there before anyone even noticed they were missing would not have been unrealistic.

You do understand that The Dominican Republic is a sovereign nation and is within their rights to enforce their laws, right? Also, like with the U.S.A., the DR has an extradition treaty with Canada, which indicates that certain legal standards have been met.
Ludicrous Speed is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
USN2FEDEX
FedEx
3331
09-04-2019 07:45 PM
Days Off
FedEx
56
10-19-2015 08:06 AM
timeless
The Boneyard
2
01-16-2015 09:05 AM
jetliner1526
Major
0
01-14-2015 11:30 AM
MD11Fr8Dog
Cargo
23
01-16-2011 09:18 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Your Privacy Choices