Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Career Builder > Hiring News
Part 121 hiring status in 2024? >

Part 121 hiring status in 2024?

Notices
Hiring News Latest news and rumors

Part 121 hiring status in 2024?

Old 01-25-2024, 02:55 AM
  #1  
On Reserve
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Nov 2023
Posts: 15
Default Part 121 hiring status in 2024?

Ok, so I just realized that Alaska has removed the FO position from its careers website. I know that the regionals have slowed down hiring, but I wasn't expecting the slow down in hiring to hit the majors so early. WN has stopped, DL is also reducing hiring, and people are unsure about NK anymore.

Are UA, AA and HAL the only legacies still going full throttle on hiring? I know UA has class dates planned throughout 2024 but who knows if that's going to be the case anymore?
hawaiicostco is offline  
Old 01-25-2024, 05:11 AM
  #2  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Jan 2024
Posts: 78
Default

Delta has indeed slowed ... to 1000 per year.
If UA and AA keep at 2K each, that still exceeds hiring for the entire industry from 2009-2014

To whatever extent the captain vacuum slows down, the regionals will increase hiring.

It's a weird labor market, but (Spirit aside) everybody is making money
VacancyBid is offline  
Old 01-25-2024, 09:16 AM
  #3  
Gets Everyday Off
 
TransWorld's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2016
Position: Relaxed
Posts: 6,800
Default

Originally Posted by VacancyBid View Post
Delta has indeed slowed ... to 1000 per year.
If UA and AA keep at 2K each, that still exceeds hiring for the entire industry from 2009-2014
1000 per year will exceed all but 2 years, plus 2022 and 2023. So, top 5 in the last two decades.
TransWorld is offline  
Old 01-28-2024, 06:39 AM
  #4  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Oct 2023
Position: 135 SIC
Posts: 112
Default

Practically none of the regionals are hiring 1500 hour pilots right now.
121noob is offline  
Old 01-28-2024, 01:37 PM
  #5  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Jan 2024
Posts: 78
Default

Originally Posted by 121noob View Post
Practically none of the regionals are hiring 1500 hour pilots right now.
Which is a sign of a strong hiring market, not a weak one
VacancyBid is offline  
Old 01-28-2024, 04:29 PM
  #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Oct 2023
Position: 135 SIC
Posts: 112
Default

Originally Posted by VacancyBid View Post
Which is a sign of a strong hiring market, not a weak one
Can you explain this?
121noob is offline  
Old 01-28-2024, 05:32 PM
  #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: May 2019
Position: A320 FO
Posts: 223
Default

Originally Posted by 121noob View Post
Can you explain this?
Not enough captains as they’re all getting hired at major airlines. No need for FOs if you can’t staff the left seat.
HostileCombover is offline  
Old 01-28-2024, 10:20 PM
  #8  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Aug 2018
Posts: 155
Default

Originally Posted by VacancyBid View Post
Which is a sign of a strong hiring market, not a weak one
Not really. they are not hiring FOs because they dont have enough CAs to support them. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to realize if Senior FOs and CAs are getting hired by majors and you are not hiring FOs then you quickly run out of CAs....its a death spiral for regionals and, unless Majors slow down hiring, could be the end of the regional model and cause increased competition for 1500hr pilots. Get ready to pay for type ratings, training contracts (such as Republics) will become the norm. 135 operators like Flexjet have increased their minimums from 1500 to 3,000.......
followingdreams is offline  
Old 01-29-2024, 07:20 AM
  #9  
Gets Weekends Off
 
cons's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2007
Posts: 114
Default

Originally Posted by followingdreams View Post
Not really. they are not hiring FOs because they dont have enough CAs to support them. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to realize if Senior FOs and CAs are getting hired by majors and you are not hiring FOs then you quickly run out of CAs....its a death spiral for regionals and, unless Majors slow down hiring, could be the end of the regional model and cause increased competition for 1500hr pilots. Get ready to pay for type ratings, training contracts (such as Republics) will become the norm. 135 operators like Flexjet have increased their minimums from 1500 to 3,000.......
A reversion to the mean. Essentially, the labor market has/will plateau and eventually return to former/normal levels. IF you get hired at your stepping stone carrier, whether 121 or 135, be prepared to stay there for a while since competitive hiring numbers will increase. Mis dos centavos.
cons is offline  
Old 01-29-2024, 08:32 AM
  #10  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2011
Position: A320 FO
Posts: 824
Default

Originally Posted by cons View Post
A reversion to the mean. Essentially, the labor market has/will plateau and eventually return to former/normal levels. IF you get hired at your stepping stone carrier, whether 121 or 135, be prepared to stay there for a while since competitive hiring numbers will increase. Mis dos centavos.
Correct. We've seen these cycles many times and the only real variable is the lengths of the booms and busts. The surprising shortness of the COVID bust combined with generous early-out packages has conspired to make this boom longer than average but it will end like all the ones before. As stated though, planned hiring is still way above historical norms in 2024.

When I was in flight school American Eagle required about 5,000 hours to fly a Saab 340 for $19/hr. A few years later Republic required 3,000 hours to fly a 170 for $23/hr. So I'd say things are still pretty good for 1500 hour pilots even if they are slightly worse than they were a year ago.
tallpilot is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
b18onboost
Part 135
35
01-10-2021 04:53 PM
B727DRVR
Part 135
16
03-25-2020 05:33 PM
CharlesSpringer
Career Questions
8
12-17-2015 12:09 PM
sealandair
Career Questions
16
08-24-2014 06:07 PM
slipped
Part 135
15
09-05-2009 04:56 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Your Privacy Choices