Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Career Builder > Military
CBP Air Interdiction Agent (Pilot) >

CBP Air Interdiction Agent (Pilot)

Notices
Military Military Aviation

CBP Air Interdiction Agent (Pilot)

Old 03-02-2020, 05:58 AM
  #361  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Mar 2020
Posts: 9
Default

So basically don’t fly the UAS is what you’re saying ? I’m just curious as to what repercussions I would face to firmly “decline” the training, what do you think?
Longbow66 is offline  
Old 03-03-2020, 04:40 AM
  #362  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Jul 2016
Posts: 14
Default

Refusing the assignment is the same as refusing to fly any other airframe. You would be subject to suspension without pay up to removal from service.
skylike is offline  
Old 03-04-2020, 10:38 PM
  #363  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Oct 2014
Posts: 67
Default

So I realize this is a pilot's forum and many on here are looking for a pilot job. However, as current a local law enforcement officer and CFI in training, my perspective may be a little different on what I want from a job. I read the thread and realize you won't necessarily be flying a lot and there may be drone work only depending on where you get sent. That being said, if you aren't flying, do you ever go along with BP or work a border crossing or anything else? Or is it either fly or office work? The starting pay is definitely tempting, especially with hiring minimums much lower than an airline. How many hours of real airplane hours can one expect in a year?
KaiGywer is offline  
Old 03-05-2020, 12:54 AM
  #364  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Mar 2020
Posts: 9
Default

Originally Posted by KaiGywer View Post
So I realize this is a pilot's forum and many on here are looking for a pilot job. However, as current a local law enforcement officer and CFI in training, my perspective may be a little different on what I want from a job. I read the thread and realize you won't necessarily be flying a lot and there may be drone work only depending on where you get sent. That being said, if you aren't flying, do you ever go along with BP or work a border crossing or anything else? Or is it either fly or office work? The starting pay is definitely tempting, especially with hiring minimums much lower than an airline. How many hours of real airplane hours can one expect in a year?
The Border Patrol is definitely the southwest regionís biggest client of AMO, but not all branches will fly in support of the BP mission nation wide. In fact there is quite a bit you can do as a federal agent apart from whats happening on the border. That being said, when you first get hired youíll be sent to one of the hard to fill locations on the SW border and will most likely work with the patrol agents on the ground in your area of operation for a week or two to learn the area before youíre signed off to fly the mission. Youíll have the opportunity to work with many other three letter agencyís as well, especially away from the SW border. AMO as a second career for someone with a law enforcement background is something this agency needs more of, Iím sure you have a lot to bring to the table. You may find yourself doing less law enforcement and more support in the first few years at the agency. Youíll fly a ton at one of the hard to fill locations, probably 3 to 5 hours a day in the night owl / c206 / uh60. About 4 a day in the Astar. Itís part 91 flying but we have limits somewhat like a 135 / 121 op. One could max out their flight time so youíll have to keep track in accordance with AMOís policies.

For clarification, itís a wide misconception that Air and Marine Operations is part of the Border Patrol. The media messes it up all the time and AMO is trying to do a better job differentiating itself. There is plenty of work for an Air Interdiction Agent that has nothing to do with the Border Patrol.

Right now chances of transferring out to better locations are in your favor if youíre offered a place that you donít like. You can probably tell from my earlier posts that Iím not a fan of the UAS but that is a possibility as well, but if you are a pilot and like to fly I donít think itís something youíll enjoy long term since youíll get to fly once in awhile to stay current in manned aircraft. I hope this helps !

​​​​​​​
Longbow66 is offline  
Old 03-05-2020, 07:36 PM
  #365  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Oct 2014
Posts: 67
Default

Originally Posted by Longbow66 View Post
The Border Patrol is definitely the southwest regionís biggest client of AMO, but not all branches will fly in support of the BP mission nation wide. In fact there is quite a bit you can do as a federal agent apart from whats happening on the border. That being said, when you first get hired youíll be sent to one of the hard to fill locations on the SW border and will most likely work with the patrol agents on the ground in your area of operation for a week or two to learn the area before youíre signed off to fly the mission. Youíll have the opportunity to work with many other three letter agencyís as well, especially away from the SW border. AMO as a second career for someone with a law enforcement background is something this agency needs more of, Iím sure you have a lot to bring to the table. You may find yourself doing less law enforcement and more support in the first few years at the agency. Youíll fly a ton at one of the hard to fill locations, probably 3 to 5 hours a day in the night owl / c206 / uh60. About 4 a day in the Astar. Itís part 91 flying but we have limits somewhat like a 135 / 121 op. One could max out their flight time so youíll have to keep track in accordance with AMOís policies.

For clarification, itís a wide misconception that Air and Marine Operations is part of the Border Patrol. The media messes it up all the time and AMO is trying to do a better job differentiating itself. There is plenty of work for an Air Interdiction Agent that has nothing to do with the Border Patrol.

Right now chances of transferring out to better locations are in your favor if youíre offered a place that you donít like. You can probably tell from my earlier posts that Iím not a fan of the UAS but that is a possibility as well, but if you are a pilot and like to fly I donít think itís something youíll enjoy long term since youíll get to fly once in awhile to stay current in manned aircraft. I hope this helps !
Thanks for the response. I'm glad to see it's not all doom and gloom at AMO. Even though I wouldn't be boots on the ground every day, I feel like it would still be a way to keep my drive for law enforcement while at the same time satisfying my inner pilot.
KaiGywer is offline  
Old 03-19-2020, 08:06 AM
  #366  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Feb 2020
Posts: 17
Default

Originally Posted by Longbow66 View Post
The Border Patrol is definitely the southwest regionís biggest client of AMO, but not all branches will fly in support of the BP mission nation wide. In fact there is quite a bit you can do as a federal agent apart from whats happening on the border. That being said, when you first get hired youíll be sent to one of the hard to fill locations on the SW border and will most likely work with the patrol agents on the ground in your area of operation for a week or two to learn the area before youíre signed off to fly the mission. Youíll have the opportunity to work with many other three letter agencyís as well, especially away from the SW border. AMO as a second career for someone with a law enforcement background is something this agency needs more of, Iím sure you have a lot to bring to the table. You may find yourself doing less law enforcement and more support in the first few years at the agency. Youíll fly a ton at one of the hard to fill locations, probably 3 to 5 hours a day in the night owl / c206 / uh60. About 4 a day in the Astar. Itís part 91 flying but we have limits somewhat like a 135 / 121 op. One could max out their flight time so youíll have to keep track in accordance with AMOís policies.

For clarification, itís a wide misconception that Air and Marine Operations is part of the Border Patrol. The media messes it up all the time and AMO is trying to do a better job differentiating itself. There is plenty of work for an Air Interdiction Agent that has nothing to do with the Border Patrol.

Right now chances of transferring out to better locations are in your favor if youíre offered a place that you donít like. You can probably tell from my earlier posts that Iím not a fan of the UAS but that is a possibility as well, but if you are a pilot and like to fly I donít think itís something youíll enjoy long term since youíll get to fly once in awhile to stay current in manned aircraft. I hope this helps !

​​​​​​​
Let me add that although there are many things about flying for AMO that are frustrating at times, probably the biggest positive is that AMO pilots aren't really affected by the swings in the economy like other flying jobs. If this coronavirus stuff goes on for long (I hope not) that could be important.
mimark is offline  
Old 03-20-2020, 09:29 PM
  #367  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Oct 2018
Posts: 16
Default

Can anyone explain how are Duty station issued? In other words, would you know before going into the academy? Or is it like the police academy where you fill a dream sheet? Can I volunteer to go to one of the hard fill locations?
Ymayorsh is offline  
Old 03-21-2020, 04:45 AM
  #368  
Sequester bait
 
DustoffVT's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: UH-60, AS-350, C-550
Posts: 160
Default

Originally Posted by Ymayorsh View Post
Can anyone explain how are Duty station issued? In other words, would you know before going into the academy? Or is it like the police academy where you fill a dream sheet? Can I volunteer to go to one of the hard fill locations?
You will only go to one of the hard to fill spots. There may me some wiggle room if you really want say LRD over MFE, but itís basically needs of the service. You will know before you start, when you get the offer.
DustoffVT is offline  
Old 03-21-2020, 07:45 AM
  #369  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Oct 2018
Posts: 16
Default

thank you for the response. One more quick question: Would a new hire be able negotiate duty station for another hard to fill. Fox example, they give me El Paso and want MacCallen or PR, can I tell them that I would like instead to go either of the latter?

Originally Posted by DustoffVT View Post
You will only go to one of the hard to fill spots. There may me some wiggle room if you really want say LRD over MFE, but itís basically needs of the service. You will know before you start, when you get the offer.
Ymayorsh is offline  
Old 03-22-2020, 01:21 PM
  #370  
Gets Weekends Off
 
ugleeual's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: 767/757 CA
Posts: 1,928
Default

Whatís the max age for previous/retired military with a disability rating from VA? Website says age waived... but there has to be a max right?
ugleeual is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
avi8tor220
Air Wisconsin
6751
05-07-2019 11:11 AM
Flyin1500
Alaska
63
04-01-2017 12:27 PM
winglet
Regional
47
05-15-2016 09:45 PM
freightdog
Regional
64
12-03-2009 02:17 PM
RockBottom
Major
0
04-29-2005 07:34 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread