Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Military (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/military/)
-   -   CBP Air Interdiction Agent (Pilot) (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/military/108466-cbp-air-interdiction-agent-pilot.html)

Grom1234 09-29-2017 02:38 PM

CBP Air Interdiction Agent (Pilot)
 
Do we have any current or former CBP guys on the forum? If we do I have a few questions...

How many hours do AIA's fly per month?
Best station assignments?
What is FLETC like?
Is the culture as bad as the forums make it out to be?
Would you recommend the career?
Is the future of AIA going to be more drone and less aircraft flying?

Thanks to those that reply.

kaputt 10-12-2017 11:32 AM

Of the locations that have openings, which ones have fixed wing platforms?

- Sierra Vista
- Yuma
- Grand Forks
- Aguadilla
- Alpine
- Corpus Christi
- Laredo
- McAllen

emersonbiguns 10-16-2017 09:46 AM


Originally Posted by Grom1234 (Post 2438566)
Is the culture as bad as the forums make it out to be?

Yes.

Not to mention the leadership, the mission, the aircraft, the hiring process, etc.

USMCFLYR 10-16-2017 03:20 PM


Originally Posted by emersonbiguns (Post 2448187)
Yes.

Not to mention the leadership, the mission, the aircraft, the hiring process, etc.

Do the pilots/crews not believe there is a need for airborne interdiction? :confused:

JamesNoBrakes 10-16-2017 08:53 PM


Originally Posted by USMCFLYR (Post 2448417)
Do the pilots/crews not believe there is a need for airborne interdiction? :confused:

That might be as simple as disagreeing with where the resources are placed and how they are used. Sometimes management fails to execute the mission or places unreasonable obstacles to completing it, or there aren't the resources to complete it. I'd have to imagine as drones get more commonly used (no fear of losing an asset other than the drone) it will change many of the factors at play. I think already flying an airplane low over the border is probably not the preferred way to get drugs in, most just load them up in cars and trucks and take them right past the checkpoint. Interdiction is definitely needed for fast movers, boats, etc., but as surveillance technology gets better, those will probably be utilized less and the more effective smuggling operations (tunnels, freaking catapults, drones, cars, mules, etc.) are probably maximized. If this is the case, then I think you might question how the mission is executed at the least, if it's not flexible to meet the changing environment.

I'm curious as well though to know what was meant by that.

USMCFLYR 10-17-2017 03:26 AM


Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes (Post 2448659)
That might be as simple as disagreeing with where the resources are placed and how they are used. Sometimes management fails to execute the mission or places unreasonable obstacles to completing it, or there aren't the resources to complete it. I'd have to imagine as drones get more commonly used (no fear of losing an asset other than the drone) it will change many of the factors at play. I think already flying an airplane low over the border is probably not the preferred way to get drugs in, most just load them up in cars and trucks and take them right past the checkpoint. Interdiction is definitely needed for fast movers, boats, etc., but as surveillance technology gets better, those will probably be utilized less and the more effective smuggling operations (tunnels, freaking catapults, drones, cars, mules, etc.) are probably maximized. If this is the case, then I think you might question how the mission is executed at the least, if it's not flexible to meet the changing environment.

I'm curious as well though to know what was meant by that.

I can see some of that.....but much of what you said isn't disagreeing with the mission as much as how that mission in executed.

Some of this comes from the troops in the dirt which often has to be given a little sideways glance. Just because the Private doesn't understand why they have to take that building, doesn't mean that it's not important to take that building.

CBP has certainly taken a hit in the past few years. I ran into another of their former pilots on the road last week. He echoes most of what was said here in past threads.

RCpilot2018 12-08-2017 12:38 PM

To All:
This program is dying at an alarming rate. HQ management, who some people call "Senior Leadership", is utterly clueless when it comes to taking care of the field.
I used to be such an advocate of this program. Now, I highly encourage others to go to the airlines. This job is NOT what it used to be and has evolved into something not worth pursuing. This is a result of putting non pilot types, with chips on their shoulders, in charge professional pilots. PERIOD!!
With that said, if your are only a helo bubba with only aspirations of flying helicopters, this could be a career for you. Perfect for retired army types. If you do want to work for CBP, do whatever you can do to stay away from any NASO office. The MQ9 has taken over with the most inept management in charge.
God help us.
C550, H60, AS350, P3 and MQ9 driver.

Edwashere 01-06-2018 11:20 AM


Originally Posted by RCpilot2018 (Post 2480049)
To All:
This program is dying at an alarming rate. HQ management, who some people call "Senior Leadership", is utterly clueless when it comes to taking care of the field.
I used to be such an advocate of this program. Now, I highly encourage others to go to the airlines. This job is NOT what it used to be and has evolved into something not worth pursuing. This is a result of putting non pilot types, with chips on their shoulders, in charge professional pilots. PERIOD!!
With that said, if your are only a helo bubba with only aspirations of flying helicopters, this could be a career for you. Perfect for retired army types. If you do want to work for CBP, do whatever you can do to stay away from any NASO office. The MQ9 has taken over with the most inept management in charge.
God help us.
C550, H60, AS350, P3 and MQ9 driver.

If you don’t mind me asking, how long have you been working for cpb? I’m a retired army pilot now working for Air Methods it I’m looking for stability. What is the first years pay really?

WacoQCF 01-06-2018 12:45 PM

I worked for CBP OAM for 8 years in the NE and SE regions - I no longer endorse OAM as a good destination.

First year pay is about $85k including all pay and extras. You will top about $120k and work 5 on/2 off with a max of 8 hours of vacation for every pay period (80 hours).

There are way better places to fly, simply.

RCpilot2018 01-06-2018 01:47 PM


Originally Posted by Edwashere (Post 2497094)
If you donít mind me asking, how long have you been working for cpb? Iím a retired army pilot now working for Air Methods it Iím looking for stability. What is the first years pay really?

I'm in year 12. Yes, it is stable. This is only because you are a federal employee / agent. I have on the proverbial "Golden Handcuffs" and am here only for the LEO pension. That's it!
First year pay rest of US is GS11 plus locality and leap=76,522
Second year GS 12 = 91,718
Third year GS 13 =109,065
Like I said, this is just about perfect for army types. The AS350 will be your life. If you have significant time in airplanes look else where!
Before my retirement, I strongly believe that Air & Marine will be dissolved into the BP.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:31 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright ©2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands