Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Career Builder > Military
Maximum Age For New Pilot Hire In Military >

Maximum Age For New Pilot Hire In Military

Notices
Military Military Aviation

Maximum Age For New Pilot Hire In Military

Old 04-04-2019, 04:17 PM
  #1  
On Reserve
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Apr 2019
Posts: 20
Default Maximum Age For New Pilot Hire In Military

Hi,

What is the max age the military will accept someone for pilot training? Would it matter if you are an officer etc or purely when accepted to training?
I see their website says Waiver up to age 35.....but then you hear rumors exceptions can be made

I have a PPL and professional degree.
Shammy is offline  
Old 04-04-2019, 04:33 PM
  #2  
Covfefe
 
Joined APC: Jun 2015
Posts: 3,001
Default

Originally Posted by Shammy View Post
Hi,

What is the max age the military will accept someone for pilot training? Would it matter if you are an officer etc or purely when accepted to training?
I see their website says Waiver up to age 35.....but then you hear rumors exceptions can be made

I have a PPL and professional degree.
Age cutoff is for the day you start pilot training, not your hire date. A 36 year old non prior service guy just finished OTS and is about to start UPT for the AF reserve. Think he may have just turned 37. Thatís exceedingly rare though. Youíll find more info on the forums at baseops.net than this site though.
BeatNavy is offline  
Old 04-04-2019, 04:36 PM
  #3  
On Reserve
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Apr 2019
Posts: 20
Default

Originally Posted by BeatNavy View Post
Age cutoff is for the day you start pilot training, not your hire date. A 36 year old non prior service guy just finished OTS and is about to start UPT for the AF reserve. Think he may have just turned 37. Thatís exceedingly rare though. Youíll find more info on the forums at baseops.net than this site though.
Hey thanks man!
Shammy is offline  
Old 04-04-2019, 07:47 PM
  #4  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Jan 2011
Posts: 88
Default

There are always waivers, like the post above mentioned, but recently there was a change in the Air Force Policy. It used to be that you had to start UPT by age 30 but now itís 33, keep in mind that the process can be slow and lengthy, itís not necessarily apply and start at UPT the next month, so budget accordingly.
aiir is offline  
Old 04-05-2019, 07:42 AM
  #5  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 36,388
Default

Originally Posted by aiir View Post
There are always waivers, like the post above mentioned, but recently there was a change in the Air Force Policy. It used to be that you had to start UPT by age 30 but now it’s 33, keep in mind that the process can be slow and lengthy, it’s not necessarily apply and start at UPT the next month, so budget accordingly.
The age limits change, right now it's pretty generous at 33 (Navy/USMC may still be lower?).

I'd plan on starting the process at least two years prior to the age cutoff, otherwise you could easily get delayed and miss the cutoff.

Don't plan on an age waiver, if you find yourself in the position of needing one, sure go ahead and try for it, but if you you're young enough, get started before the timeline gets tight. Waivers are a crapshoot, cannot be relied on.
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 04-05-2019, 11:48 AM
  #6  
Perennial Reserve
 
Excargodog's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2018
Posts: 9,841
Default

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Waivers are a crapshoot, cannot be relied on.

Especially waivers for ďexcessive refractive error.Ē

Ask me how I know....

Excargodog is online now  
Old 04-05-2019, 07:06 PM
  #7  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Jul 2017
Posts: 14
Default

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
The age limits change, right now it's pretty generous at 33 (Navy/USMC may still be lower?).

I'd plan on starting the process at least two years prior to the age cutoff, otherwise you could easily get delayed and miss the cutoff.

Don't plan on an age waiver, if you find yourself in the position of needing one, sure go ahead and try for it, but if you you're young enough, get started before the timeline gets tight. Waivers are a crapshoot, cannot be relied on.
Navy is commissioned by 27 with a waiver up to 29 with prior service.
DFNJ is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
mia1900fo
Regional
17
07-17-2007 07:31 PM
pdo bump
Cargo
70
05-30-2007 06:01 PM
Andy
Major
25
11-20-2006 07:13 AM
fireman0174
Major
46
11-19-2006 05:49 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread