Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Need Help regarding 135 ops please...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 02:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: Yeti SB150

I flew for a 135 frieght company where we carried the US mail. The company was very disorganized due to the fact that the base was on the mainland and we were flying in Hawaii. We soon found out that the volume of the mail was more than our fleet could handle. Before I got employed with the company I was PIC at a different 135 company with a very good gound school that in great lengths went through the 135 regs. This gave me an edge above the other pilots who were hired with only 91 experience and were excited about thier new job. To make along story short; the company was asking pilots to fly WAY beyond their duty times and required rest. Also when getting a type you need to do a SIOE unless you have X amount of time in multi turbine aircraft. The sad part was that my good friend did not finish his SIOE and had an accident on the one flight the Chief Pilot came to him and told him to do the flight. He lost all of his Certs. The Feds quickly caught on and started violating pilots left and right. They went through months and months of pilot and aircraft logs to find violations. I was lucky to have gotten quality training at my job before. The moral of the story is to NOT violate any FAR even if the Chief Pilot personally asks you to. Loosing a crappy 135 job is much better than putting your A$$ on the line. Follow the rules and know them well before you start flying the line. Just my story, and if you use it just make up any name.