Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

AVIATOR3 09-21-2014 01:56 PM

Seems like you have two type of people in this thread:

1. The older generation whom feel that no one deserves to be flying at an airline unless you pay your dues and have risked your live one way or another for 3000 Hours in a old crappy turboprop. Go to ****ty company, work in ****ty conditions, dirty airplanes, and all single pilot IFR (but it must be in mountainous terrain, and when icing is present, otherwise you still aren't good enough). They do not seem to realize that no respectable major airline will hire you from a place like this.

2. The people whom are a bit smarter and go to a good regional, upgrade as soon as possible and move on. Why make it harder on your self and go to companies like this, and work harder than you have to. Get your upgrade, get your PIC, and move on to JetBlue, United, and live a nice life.

Our older generation of pilots don't seem to understand that this is a different game now, there are many options to about it, and the old school way just isn't it.

own nav 09-21-2014 04:54 PM

There we go again with the labels.

If you're young, can live in your parents basement and have your mommy give you a kiss on the forehead as she hands you your sack lunch as you head out the door, knowing that your experienced captain will take good care of you in a state of the art RJ that does all the work for you anyway...

Hows that for stereotyping?

And what's with this bashing of recruiters. Ever think of the fantasies RJ recruiters are feeding you? "3 year upgrades are coming back." Is your head in the sand? Do you not see the rows of 50 seat RJs being parked in the desert? Every time they get an order of 70 seat RJs, twice as many 50 seat RJs get parked.

Do the math, you're going to be in that right seat a long time, if your regional even survives long enough for you to be come a captain. I just read a thread saying it's becoming all too common to see guys on their 4th regional, starting all over again.

Of course, you're too young to remember the days clear back in 2000 when city pairs had 3 737s a day and no RJs, but you're the new generation who knows better, that can't happen again.

8ballfreight 09-21-2014 07:47 PM

Yeah, I totally remeber the empty 73's with a whole row to myself right before massive furloughs.

Sure there are many city pairs that can be without an rj, others aren't viable without frequency.

Jetlife 09-21-2014 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by own nav (Post 1731743)
There we go again with the labels.

If you're young, can live in your parents basement and have your mommy give you a kiss on the forehead as she hands you your sack lunch as you head out the door, knowing that your experienced captain will take good care of you in a state of the art RJ that does all the work for you anyway...

Hows that for stereotyping?

And what's with this bashing of recruiters. Ever think of the fantasies RJ recruiters are feeding you? "3 year upgrades are coming back." Is your head in the sand? Do you not see the rows of 50 seat RJs being parked in the desert? Every time they get an order of 70 seat RJs, twice as many 50 seat RJs get parked.

Do the math, you're going to be in that right seat a long time, if your regional even survives long enough for you to be come a captain. I just read a thread saying it's becoming all too common to see guys on their 4th regional, starting all over again.

Of course, you're too young to remember the days clear back in 2000 when city pairs had 3 737s a day and no RJs, but you're the new generation who knows better, that can't happen again.

Lol the same idiots who came to AMF thinking they will go to United in 2 years, are the same people flocking to Mesa from AMF with promises of left sest in 2 years. It kills me...

bozobigtop 09-22-2014 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by KSCessnaDriver (Post 1724282)
In many cases, the conditions you are sold to come here aren't true. Heck, I've slept 4 nights at home in 3 weeks, because of things have been going. It's no wonder the company gets the reputation it does on these forums, they use and abuse people, and wonder why they can't retain pilots.

But, the beatings will continue until morale improves

AMF has had a bad reputation in the industry in which is well known for as long as I been in the industry, almost 40 years. People need to do their homework or forever close the pie hole.

Sa227capt 09-22-2014 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by AVIATOR3 (Post 1731623)
Seems like you have two type of people in this thread:

1. The older generation whom feel that no one deserves to be flying at an airline unless you pay your dues and have risked your live one way or another for 3000 Hours in a old crappy turboprop. Go to ****ty company, work in ****ty conditions, dirty airplanes, and all single pilot IFR (but it must be in mountainous terrain, and when icing is present, otherwise you still aren't good enough). They do not seem to realize that no respectable major airline will hire you from a place like this.

Not so old but old enough to be around when the regionals were not hiring. Good luck with that quick upgrade at the regionals. May happen now but I doubt it will be as quick as you think.

AMF had its moments that were great if you wanted quick movement, etc. It's not for everyone. I enjoyed my tie there for the most part but always knew it wasn't a place to hang my hat. For some, it is for whatever reason. Freight flying isn't easy all the time. If thats what you are looking for, go to a regional.

Also, "paying your dues" is a fine phrase for any occupation. it seems the younger generation like yourself want everything now. Doesn't quite work that way in the real world and honestly, I do not think I am that much older than you but have paid my dues and have never complained about it.

AVIATOR3 09-22-2014 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Sa227capt (Post 1732435)
Not so old but old enough to be around when the regionals were not hiring. Good luck with that quick upgrade at the regionals. May happen now but I doubt it will be as quick as you think.

AMF had its moments that were great if you wanted quick movement, etc. It's not for everyone. I enjoyed my tie there for the most part but always knew it wasn't a place to hang my hat. For some, it is for whatever reason. Freight flying isn't easy all the time. If thats what you are looking for, go to a regional.

Also, "paying your dues" is a fine phrase for any occupation. it seems the younger generation like yourself want everything now. Doesn't quite work that way in the real world and honestly, I do not think I am that much older than you but have paid my dues and have never complained about it.

If long term goal is a major airline , there is no point of going to ameriflight . It would be just another company to get to a regional to get to a major airline.

I don't want everything now, but I certainly wouldn't waste time at such company when I will need to end up at a regional to get to the majors anyways.

Lots of these guys spend a long time instructing , or doing other odd jobs to get the minimun required time to get to an airline, I would count this as paying your dues.

Now I wouldn't go as far as saying don't go to ameriflight or such companies, some people like this sort of flying, some people don't, and it all depends on what your long term goals are.

Sa227capt 09-22-2014 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by AVIATOR3 (Post 1732594)
If long term goal is a major airline , there is no point of going to ameriflight . It would be just another company to get to a regional to get to a major airline.

I was at Ameriflight and am at a major airline. So I guess I don't see your point...

8ballfreight 09-22-2014 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Sa227capt (Post 1732637)
I was at Ameriflight and am at a major airline. So I guess I don't see your point...

Are you reading what we are saying?

First year pay twice < first year pay once.

...and the freight flying is the easiest and best part of this job....schedule, pay and management are the problems.

Jetlife 09-23-2014 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Sa227capt (Post 1732637)

Which major? Did you leave right from AMF to the major?