Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

kimba 09-23-2014 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by krudawg (Post 1733152)
I went direct to a major airline after 9 years with Ameriflight. I've spoken with some pilots who are on the hiring board at my airline and they want recommendation letters, regional jet experience and of course military works also. If I were to do it again, I'd stay at AMF until I hit 1500 hours, get my ATP and head for the regionals. But I must admit, I look fondly back at my time with Cal Air Charter which later changed their name to Ameriflight. Like the great John Hazlett used to say "Ameriflight is like a self-cleaning oven"

Once again, everyone can forget to spend two years at AMF and go major.
If a 747 Capt suggest to go for a Regional today...

frmrbuffdrvr 09-23-2014 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by kimba (Post 1733238)

You were never able to spend two years at AMF and go to the majors without some other extenuating circumstances. Basically because even back in the day you needed at least 4000 hours to be competitive.

kimba 09-23-2014 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr (Post 1733242)
You were never able to spend two years at AMF and go to the majors without some other extenuating circumstances. Basically because even back in the day you needed at least 4000 hours to be competitive.

2yrs At AMF and than go for a major skipping the regional is what the recruiter says, but once again it doesn't sound right!

Sa227capt 09-23-2014 09:59 PM

Then don't go to AMF. The glass is half empty mentality ain't gonna serve you well anywhere. Stop bashing it. Everyone knows AMF isn't a long term place for most. Neither are the regionals for that matter except for those who have no desire to go to a major or just plain can't for whatever reason. And for those that think Mesa is better, you are insane....

krudawg 09-24-2014 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by kimba (Post 1733238)

Back in the late 70's, the existence of Regional airlines branded with legacy airlines was non-existent. So most were stuck at AMF. You needed 1200hrs TT to get hired by AMF and 250 multi (which they kind of looked the other way and took ones word for it). I worked at a busy flight school and built time quickly. But I must say, with all the opportunities at regionals, flying long-term at AMF is not putting yourself into a good position to be hired by a Major based on my conversation with the pilots on my company's hiring board.

krudawg 09-24-2014 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr (Post 1733242)

Never? Are you the Nostradamus of Aviation?

Jetlife 09-24-2014 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Sa227capt (Post 1733289)
And for those that think Mesa is better, you are insane....

It is funny to me how people will badmouth AMF and the Kool-Aid that flows from management and the recruiter, yet believe Mesa recruiters lol.

Sa227capt 09-24-2014 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jetlife (Post 1733422)
It is funny to me how people will badmouth AMF and the Kool-Aid that flows from management and the recruiter, yet believe Mesa recruiters lol.

AMEN! I totally agree.

frmrbuffdrvr 09-24-2014 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by krudawg (Post 1733396)
Never? Are you the Nostradamus of Aviation?

Love the sarcasm. I guess I should have made myself clearer. If you came to AMF with the minimum 1200 hours that the FAA requires for 135 IFR captains, then the likelyhood that you could ever go to the majors in two years was always very slim. Even though they would advertise 1500 hours total, almost no one would get hired with less than about 4000 hours. And while there have been a couple of runs that would get you that kind of time in 2 years, I don't know of any right now.

Is that clear enough for you?

Kprc1 09-24-2014 09:04 AM

I can't believe you're comparing AMF recruiters to Mesa recruiters. You are complete morons. Apples to oranges you tools.