Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

Brazilian 04-16-2015 06:00 AM

Don't get me wrong, the retention bonus is great. But is not exactly "free money."

AboveAndBeyond 04-16-2015 06:13 AM

IF you are planning on going 121 - You are trading hundreds of seniority spots at a 121, and adding at least a year to your career at the regionals for every 4 month longevity check that you stay for. I don't think that should be considered "free".

Remember, seniority is everything. Even at most corporate jobs, the last hired is the first fired.

own nav 04-16-2015 06:44 AM

I'm sure there's more to it than just stopping the bleeding for a year in hopes that they can return to the same old way of doing things. I could post what it is, but I'm sure the announcement will come soon enough. This isn't the same old AMF, there's a new owner with deep pockets and big ambition.

FreightDogs 04-16-2015 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by ASaintBernard (Post 1863012)
If ameriflight wanted pilots so bad they would get back to me on my application for multiple Navajo positions. Sure I am sub IFR mins but I have 135 experience and around 1k. I'm the perfect candidate for the upgrade program but it doesn't seem that they are hurting for entry pilots just 19 and metro captains.

I sincerely apologize for that. If you send me a resume via email at [email protected] and specify you are from the forum, I will make sure you get a fair look.

Snotrocket 04-16-2015 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Brazilian (Post 1863082)
Don't get me wrong, the retention bonus is great. But is not exactly "free money."

"free money" wasn't a great choice of words. But to somebody like myself who already planned to be here through the first payout, it certainly feels "free".

AboveAndBeyond, I would agree, if your plans still involve regionals, I would think it best to finish your amf contract and go get your seniority number asap. Although I think as a majority, Ameriflight pilots are here to avoid the regionals for one reason or another.

frmrbuffdrvr 04-16-2015 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Lasko (Post 1862782)
Haha o man! No way! They won't continue to cut vacation?! I bet Frmrbuffdriver could weigh in on canceling PREVIOUSLY APPROVED VACATION. Ridiculous.

I'll weigh in. I don't know of any previously approved VACATION being cancelled. That is time covered by accrued vacation time.

I do know of previously approved UNPAID TIME OFF being revoked. And that is specifically covered in the section of the handbook that talks about the approval of such time. If scheduling requires it, such as for sick calls and resignations, then the pilot can be called back in. In such a case they are paid time and a half for the days they would have originally been off.

I also know of vacation that isn't approved or disapproved until last minute because of the staffing issues we have been having. But that is just so we DON'T have a situation of a pilot being told "Yes, your vacation is approved" and then have to cancel it because that is the only way to staff a run.

frmrbuffdrvr 04-16-2015 09:34 AM

I was also going to weigh in on the "50% taxes" stuff, but it looks like it has been addressed pretty well. That really only comes close if you are at the top tax bracket, filing single and resident of a "grab all the tax money we can" state like California or New York.

Personally, I am pretty close to the top of the pay for pilots here. And being married, having a few deductions and living in Texas, my total tax that is based on my earnings is around 20%. That is federal, SSI and Medicare together.

GunnerV 04-16-2015 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by AboveAndBeyond (Post 1863059)
If you are staying at AMF rather than going to a 121 carrier because of this bonus, please do yourself a favor and call some of your 121 friends. Ask them if they would give up 4 months of seniority for $3000. I will guarantee that in this hiring environment, there is no one that would say that they would.

The Kool-Aid is strong at AMF. People there really thing that the turbine time in old turboprops really counts for something in the eyes of the 121 majors. They think that they will get hired at American/Delta/United before the regional captains that have 8 years in 121 with 10,000 hours TT and 5000 hours of PIC Jet time. It just isn't the case.

I learned a lot about flying at AMF, but one of the first things that I learned in the 121 world is that the time at AMF counts for nothing once you leave 135. There are guys with over 10,000 PIC Jet that are just getting called by the majors. Someone with a couple thousand hours in a Metro doesn't stand a chance.

If you are planning on going corporate, AMF is fine. Some places like the single pilot IFR in old turboprops. But the 121's want experience with airplanes that are similar to what they fly - glass with automation, passengers in the back, highly regimented, and in a crew environment.

By all means, if you are looking to go 121 as fast as possible, you should fulfill your commitment to AMF then bounce. With a year of flying "old turboprops" under your belt you should be able to get a job with one of the better regionals (oxymoron) and not have to settle for one that will hire you with a telephone interview and a pulse. And if you made it through training here, I doubt you will have any problems with any of the regional training centers.

Unfortunately, I've heard of a few folks that are jumping prior to their commitment ending at AMF lately, and I think that this bonus should slow that trend.

I don't know of anyone here that would compare themselves to a 10k RJ captain, or realistically expect to jump straight to the majors from AMF, but you take the typical guy that comes here with 1200 hours and leaves with 1500+, plus TPIC time and match him up with a like timed RJ FO, my money would be on the AMFer for any other flying job out there.

And as near as I can tell, the only thing a few thousand hours in a Metro will get you is a masochistic badge of honor, kind of like being a Cubs fan :D.

ATP073116 04-16-2015 11:19 AM

Quick Qs:

- for the PA31 Upgrade program, is the time built higher than the typical Ameriflight "3-4 hr/dy; 50-70 hr/mo."?
- are positions available at the HWD base?
- assuming the... umh, "reverse-pay internship" for BE-99 and BE-1900 is still in place, are there any positions for those in HWD? What about BUR or PDX?

I have an ATP written valid till July 2016 and I'm seriously considering getting the hours for the checkride by the deadline. My total time is low for the PA31 Upgrade (~650) but is lots of "quality time": all PF time, 500+ PIC, 100+ multi PIC, lots of IFR / high perf / complex, King Air 200 sim initial (w/ high alt endorsement), valid 1st medical, FCC etc.

Thanks,

AB

own nav 04-16-2015 11:37 AM

Eagle Jet International, Inc. will give you the details on the pay to play program. Any further inquiry on this thread, and I'm sure you'll get a fiery 2 page minimum discussion about "PFT."