Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Caravan crash in Ohio

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 03:38 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: pilot

there was an interesting debate last year in the caravan forum which focused on why there are v/g's on the top of the elevator
i just reread it and it is still there
Old 12-10-2007, 04:09 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2005
Position: Sedan driver

"in a Caravan, if it is underweight, it really doesn't matter where it goes, it will fly. "

Unless it's iced up.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:05 PM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by FlyCMI View Post
I am going to go ahead and have to disagree..... Yeah..... (in my best Bill Lumburgh voice). AirNet is not your mom and pop 135 company. As a former pilot there, i can attest that the training there is just as good as the training I am getting at my LCC 121 major airline driving a 737. I would rather commute on an AirNet learjet with pilots who have been there, done that and have the t-shirt rather than your ERJ/CRJ with a 500 hour wonder kid as the FO at your regional of choice.

As far as the loading and fuel quality. From an AirNet source close to the investigation, we know that the Jet A-1 (they use phillips pre-mix jet a) was tested that day and that the caravan was sprayed with 150 gallons of Type 1 4 mins prior to recieving his TAKEOFF clearance. BTW the Type 1 was also analyized post accident and found to be in spec. As for the loading, AirNet weighs every bin as it comes out of the sort so I don't think it was a weight issue and with 1270 hours in a Caravan, if it is underweight, it really doesn't matter where it goes, it will fly.

Why don't we quit monday morning QB'ing this in respect to Mike and James and those of us who knew them and let the NTSB do their job.
If you read the last sentence of my original post (which you quoted), I stated that fractionals were safe. My comments were about other 135/91 operations.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:36 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: Former Freight Doggy

AirNet is not a fractional. They Aren't NetJets. I don't think anyone would want to ride in a canned out learjet or caravan

I don't think the airplane in question was iced up. From what I heard the wearther should not have iced the plane up after it got deiced with 150 gallons four mins before the takeoff roll.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:49 AM
Gets Weekends Off

that aircraft did not have an icing problem
something else is causing this particular aircraft to fall out of the sky there have been too many that did not have ice on them that crashed and killed people
why are there v/g's full span on the aft part of the stabilizor?
does that mean there is an upload on the stab?
Old 12-14-2007, 02:46 PM

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: ATP, CFI etc.

Originally Posted by 185flier View Post
that aircraft did not have an icing problem
something else is causing this particular aircraft to fall out of the sky there have been too many that did not have ice on them that crashed and killed people
why are there v/g's full span on the aft part of the stabilizor?
does that mean there is an upload on the stab?
VGs add boundary layer adhesion by energizing the boundary layer through the introduction of small amounts of turbulence. Caravan is a large aircraft to have only one engine, and as such has to struggle to meet the single engine Vs0 spec of 61 knots. I wasn't there when the plane was designed but I would guess VGs were added to the tail to help achieve 61 knot stall speed with full-forward loading. A larger horizontal stabilizer control surface would not be used when a small-scale tailoring of performance can be acheived by the addition of VGs near the elevator. VGs are particularly useful at high angles of attack such as those approaching stall. VGs improve low speed performance at a minor cost to parasite drag at high speeds. Since Caravan doesn't go very fast it is a good tradeoff. It is incorrect to assume that VGs are used on an aircraft because of poor stability. Finally, aft mounted horizontal stabilizers have negative loading in all flight situations except when the CG is too far aft or in negative G manuevers.

Last edited by Cubdriver; 12-15-2007 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by FlyCMI View Post

I don't think the airplane in question was iced up. From what I heard the weather should not have iced the plane up after it got deiced with 150 gallons four mins before the takeoff roll.
There are published service bulletins that de-iced aircraft can suffer from a buildup of de-icing fluids behind control surfaces in certain conditions where the fluid refreezes by obtaining water admixture from moist air during flight. If an airplane has been de-iced it may suffer from a buildup of deicing fluid residues collecting in areas protected from laminar flow, such as near ailerons and elevators. In severe cases the buildup can block movement of control surfaces. The service bulletins require inspection around crevices near flight control surfaces. A de-iced aircraft is not guaranteed to be free from ice unless it has been inspected during preflight inspection by moving ailerons and elevators to look where airflow can allow such buildups.

Last edited by Cubdriver; 12-14-2007 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:06 PM
Gets Weekends Off

in an accident in alaska there was a lot of testimony at trial from not only the plainteffs but also cessna engineers that said the stab on the caravan with aft c/g within limits required a uplifting stabilizor which has an airflow adhesion issue hence the v/g's to try and fix it
this airplane has an uploaded stab
think of stall recovery
it is opposite of what you were trained
it is not ice
Old 12-14-2007, 07:08 PM
Gets Weekends Off

in the trial in alaska cessna engineers testified that the caravan had an uploaded stab in certain configurations within the w/b envelope
Old 12-15-2007, 09:03 AM

As I said above I was not there when Caravan was designed and my comments were meant to be general. However it turns out that one of the participants in Caravan Pilot Forum claimed to be present during the original design phase- "frogo6" claimed VGs were added to Caravan to assist in spin recovery. It is pure speculation what caused this particular crash. Here is a link to Caravan Pilot Forum.

CPF thread

Last edited by Cubdriver; 12-15-2007 at 01:39 PM.