Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Part 135 PIC question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 09:29 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Default Part 135 PIC question

I was recently offered a position as a FO at a 135 operator flying a Twin Otter. I was wondering if I were to stay there long enough to upgrade, would it be possible for me to skip going to a regional and qualify for a legacy or Major carrier with the multi turbine PIC I would get? I was told today that the majority of majors would not count this time?!? Is there any truth to this? I know that just having the magic turbine PIC is not a guarantee of anything, but I would have thought that it would atleast count for what it is, and not be disqualified simply because it is a smaller aircraft or part 135.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:49 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: Sidelined

Most majors wants 1000 TPIC,,some wants to see jet time,,but if you stay there and get the PIC you should be in good shape for most.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:57 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2007

Are there any airlines in particular that don't like to see it? It plays a role in my decision making process. I had always thought that I would go to a regional as a part of my career. (and soon at that) but the more I look at the regional route, it seems like it may be a good scenario to wait for the dust to clear so I can make a better educated decision. Flying a Twin Otter sounds really fun too. But whatever decision I end up making, I would like it to be in the right direction to end at the correct destination if you know what I mean. I know that requires a crystal ball.....but I am still trying to make the best decision I can for me, with the best info I can find. Talking to those of you on this board that are more experienced and knowledgable in the industry is a great resource, and I appreciate any advice, or insight that you folks may have.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:38 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2007

I'm no expert, but from what I see, it seems much harder to go from 135 turboprop to the majors than from a regional to the majors. You'll be competing for the same job that someone with 121/jet/large aircraft experience, and with the way things are going, there are lots of those qualified applicants on the street now (see Aloha/maxjet/eos/skybus and soon to be Mesa/Frontier/many others i'm sure).

On a positive note, there was a guy at my 135 company who went from left seat on King Airs and BE1900s to Continental 737 right seat. But he had thousands of PIC hours, chief pilot experience, and serious help from really important CO people. So it can be done, it just all depends on your competition and who you know.

Does anyone else concur?
Old 05-02-2008, 10:04 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat

Originally Posted by friendlyskies View Post
I'm no expert, but from what I see, it seems much harder to go from 135 turboprop to the majors than from a regional to the majors. You'll be competing for the same job that someone with 121/jet/large aircraft experience, and with the way things are going, there are lots of those qualified applicants on the street now (see Aloha/maxjet/eos/skybus and soon to be Mesa/Frontier/many others i'm sure).

On a positive note, there was a guy at my 135 company who went from left seat on King Airs and BE1900s to Continental 737 right seat. But he had thousands of PIC hours, chief pilot experience, and serious help from really important CO people. So it can be done, it just all depends on your competition and who you know.

Does anyone else concur?
Any airline that's worth going to has this motto...

"We hire for attitude and train for skill"

If you show the right attitude and convince them that you are trainable and will get through their training then you have just as a good as shot as the next guy.

Our company has pilots at Alaska, SWA, CAL, Allegiant, UAL, AA, Evergreen, Kalitta, etc, etc, etc and they all came from Part 135 flying turboprops.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:52 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: F/O- G-V/550

Originally Posted by freightdog View Post

"We hire for attitude and train for skill"

If you show the right attitude and convince them that you are trainable and will get through their training then you have just as a good as shot as the next guy.
Showing "the right attitude" is the easy part, anybody can do it, even a private pilot. The hard part is getting the chance to show it (interview). Very difficult to get that chance if you come from a Twin Otter operation, but not impossible.

Last edited by UCLAbruins; 05-02-2008 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:27 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2006

Unfortunately in this industry, it's not what you know, but who you know. So put down that ATP study guide and go make friends. And if you need help making friends, pick up "How to Win Friends & Influence People" by Carnegie; definitely helped my career more than the FAR/AIM.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:18 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: BE-1900 CA

Originally Posted by freightdog View Post
Any airline that's worth going to has this motto...
I agree, and would add that any airline that won't hire you because you don't have a lot of 121 time is missing out- if 500 hour pilots can complete 121 training, I think someone with a thousand or so PIC alone in a turboprop should be able to do it, and they probably won't even have to put down their sammich.

Moreover, I have heard from several people with years of 121 experience (well above the regional level, at airlines I would want to go to) that 135 time IS viewed with respect, because it's a tougher operating environment than 121. The problem there is, you're competing with people with a LOT more experience and usually a couple type ratings under their belt.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:50 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: EMB135BJ SIC

Lots of good/sound advice already but I'll add my $.02:

Depending on the place, they may/may not count the otter time... I would however guess that most places will count it (wont discount it). Jetblue has a 20,000lb requirement so that is one example where it would not help..... However the good news is that you WILL be able to apply to anyone with a ME-TPIC requirement whereas people without this experience will not be able to..... If you can't apply (try) you'll never get the job, so in that regard, having the time allows you to at least put your name in the hat.

Overall, no doubt jet, heavy, 121 experience as PIC is the ideal time for most places, but in the end, basic minimums typically require Multi-TPIC so if you have that, you are ahead in the game...... You could also get your 1000PIC in the otter and then switch to 121 and get the experience...... That way, once you have some 121 experience (even as FO) you will meet the requirements most places and be able to leave before upgrade since you have the 1000PIC.

Overall, if you are looking for fastest way that works for most, get the 1000TPIC in anything, then get other experience that helps you be more marketable and get you where you wanna be.

Good luck.....Hope this helps.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:23 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: MD10/11 Capt

Another 2 bits worth....

At my outfit we have a mix of civilian/military. The civilian new hires are running the gammit with backgrounds. My company does not cast a negative view on a candidate with all turboprop time. They realize that generally these folks have been there slugging it out in the goo; so they are technically proficient.

What they put the most importance on is attitude. A phrase that is heard here from on high..."We hire captains, we can train to meet the skills."

Having contacts inside is crucial. Minimum of 3 inside recomendations just to be looked at. So, make those contacts.

We do hire from with-in. Suggest if possible get a part-time gig as a handler somewhere. You have to have 1 yr on the job before you can apply though. However, there is time. We will not hire for at least 2-3yrs thanks to the ND's.

Hope this helps.

Fly safe, and keep your ticket clean.