Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Alaska 135

Old 04-10-2006, 07:27 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: pilot
Default PenAir

Before you even get close to PIC in the SAAB at PenAir you need to put your time in flying the Saratoga or the caravan
upgrades to PIC turbine based in Anchorage take 3-5 years
however ERA is in bankruptcy and if they fail PenAir will be expanding and hiring
Old 04-10-2006, 11:18 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Master and Commander of Pipers and Cessnas

Originally Posted by KPM1
I'm thinking of moving to alaska in a few weeks, my dream has always been to work for horizon but basically I would like to work for an airline someday.

I think we have basically established that VFR saratoga and 206 time will not get you to an airline, or be valued by an airline at all. But I'm sure that multi-engine turbine time is valued. I know because I was in an interview at skywest with a guy with twin otter time and he got hired. I'm sure that other pilots in Alaska have pieced this together as well so my question is...

How hard is it to get a multi-engine turbine job in alaska? Flying the 340 for penair for instance?
If I were you, I'd phone PenAir's chief pilot, Brian Carricaburu, at (907)243-2485. He can give you the full run down on applying and on what jobs may be available.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:39 PM
KPM1

Default Thanks for the help

Sorry it took me a couple days to get back to you - forgot my password,
So you say 3-5 years to PIC turbine based in Anchorage, that really doesn't sound too bad since thats probably the most desirable gig, how about SIC turbine based in the boonies. How many 340's does penair have? How does the pay scale compare with lower 48 regionals?

Old 04-13-2006, 08:19 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: pilot

we no longer have a SIC out in rural Alaska and so it's a min of 1000 hours to get out to the boonies
we have 6 340B's and 1 340A along with 4 Metro 3's and one metro 23 based in Anchorage
don't know about lower 48 but zero experience with a thousand hours probably starts at $30,000 a year ( a guess) and our senior captains are right abought $95-100 thousand
that includes captains who stay in the bush
for example a 7 year 135 pilot flying a caravan or navajo makes the same as a SAAB captain
it seems after 7 years here we all go on the same pay scale no matter where you fly or what you fly
Old 04-14-2006, 05:56 PM
KPM1

Thanks for the info - I'll call up there and see if I can send a resume. Although I know nobody will take it seriously until I actually get there.

Old 04-15-2006, 08:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Master and Commander of Pipers and Cessnas

PenAir's miminums for new hires in the bush are an ATP with 500 hours in Alaska, I believe. Good Luck.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:50 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2008
Position: Classroom

I don't see why Alaska flying time would be undesirable by hiring airlines as Alaska Pilots would have the best experiences in flying in bad weather before they were seen as dangerous risk taking pilots.

I've heared lots of stories of people moving from ERA or Pen Air onto Alaska airlines. A FO in an Alaska flight i took from ANC to ORD went through the same program as I am right now, I'm getting my BS degree in Professional Piloting at UAA. After 3 years they're going to hire me on as a CFI and I'll build hours that way for a while and if i get good grades then they will give a recommendation for any airline jobs I apply at.

However i have been "taking it all with a grain of salt" I'm just telling you what they told me. I don't have a problem if you tell me otherwise it would be kind of nice to learn the reality of their proposals.

Last edited by Traineee; 10-31-2008 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:48 PM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by SkyHigh View Post
Nothing has changed since I was there. Companies didn't want to kill customers then either. You still have the same conditions, bad WX, small planes, few WX reporting stations and a demand from pax to get where they are going. If you tell your boss that you can't go because the weather is less than 1000 and 5 while he watches a competitor taxi out with your pax it still will not put a smile on his face. Perhaps you work for Penair, ERA, Frontier or for a sight seeing company where they can afford a little safety? All the places I worked still crash planes and face challenging decisions everyday. I know that it has been a long time since AS hired anyone from the bush and it will be even longer to never now. These days you have to be a CRJ or military superstar to get noticed. A kingair out of Barrow will not cut it anymore. Unless of course you are well connected.

SKyHigh
Less than 1000 and five is still legal (in uncontrolled). So the guy isn't doing his job then and should not fly. And I've know a couple of DHC6 drivers going to AS. I'm not trying to get into a ****ing contest, just pointing out a few anomalies in your comments