Great Lakes Air (not the 121 airline) >

Great Lakes Air (not the 121 airline)

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Great Lakes Air (not the 121 airline)

Old 08-27-2008, 08:30 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Default Great Lakes Air (not the 121 airline)

Hey I was wondering if anybody had any information on Great Lakes Air out of Michigan. I was on thier website and can't find too much info on them. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:17 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2008

Great Lakes Air has 2 piper 6's, 1 be58 and a partinavia (sp) they do a fair amount of on demand charter stuff. and alot of flying people and freight to the island (MCD) with the 6's. what are your times like?
Old 08-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Whale FO

I've been wondering about the same company... It seems like they've had an ad on climbto350 for quite some time now. I don't have the time yet but would like some more info also.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:03 PM
Sitting on the sidelines

Joined APC: Aug 2007

I've met them - seem like nice folks. Their challenge is that they are in St. Ignace, Michigan. You need to drive about 75 miles to back to the middle of nowhere. Nice scenary....but it gets really cold in the winter (which lasts a long time!).

The Cherokee 6 flights to MCD are funny - about 5 minutes max. Never seen anyone do a weight and balance, and the tails are near the ground frequently.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:07 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2008

ya the 6's ride really tail low all the time even empty. Im sure they do w/b stuff, they kinda have to for the FAA ya know. Do your home work before you go bashing. The winters are long but they do alot of flying back and forth to the island. Some people live on the island all year long and when the lake turns in to ice the boats cant go back and forth well. so great lakes ends up taking every thing from hot pizza to doctors to the island. real small outfit. your not going to be a number at great lakes if you or anyone wants to fly for them. ( well you might be a number but it would be like #4 or #5)

your right about the middle of nowhere and the area.

I fly for a charter outfit in northern michigan we do some work for them.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:58 AM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

I'm pretty sure you actually don't have to do W&B calculations each flight for single-engine. I remember reading it in the regs that it only applies to multi-engine operations that a copy of the weights and pax/freight be on board etc..etc..
Old 09-02-2008, 09:09 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: Reclined

Originally Posted by Ewfflyer View Post
I'm pretty sure you actually don't have to do W&B calculations each flight for single-engine. I remember reading it in the regs that it only applies to multi-engine operations that a copy of the weights and pax/freight be on board etc..etc..

OMG, so wrong.... Think a little... come on dude...
even the part 91 folks are responsible for doing a W&B for every flight....
and you think an air carrier certificate is going to get you LESS paperwork?
Old 09-02-2008, 10:13 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2008
Position: Contract

Originally Posted by Ewfflyer View Post
Would this apply to the Caravan and Pilatus? Scratching head over what reg stated this.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007

The scenery in the "Upper-Lower Peninsula" of Michigan is absolutely gorgeous...if you like golfing/skiing it is a great place to be located.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:02 PM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

Originally Posted by Mason32 View Post
OMG, so wrong.... Think a little... come on dude...
even the part 91 folks are responsible for doing a W&B for every flight....
and you think an air carrier certificate is going to get you LESS paperwork?
Ok, so I found what I was thinking about....(its's long, but it's what I was thinking)

135.63 Recordkeeping Requirements:

(c) For multiengine aircraft, each certificate holder is responsible for the preparation and accuracy of a load manifest in duplicate containing information concerning the loading of the aircraft. The manifest must be prepared before each takeoff and must include:

**Edited out the details, if you really want to read it click here**

(d) The pilot in command of an aircraft for which a load manifest must be prepared shall carry a copy of the completed load manifest in the aircraft to its destination. The certificate holder shall keep copies of completed load manifests for at least 30 days at its principal operations base, or at another location used by it and approved by the Administrator.

Part 91 only specifies under 91.103 Preflight Action that you must become familiar with weight, performance, wx etc.. under expected situations, but it doesn't have to be kept with a record.

I still haven't found anything where it mentions a Load Manifest(Written W&B) is required for anything but multi-engine aircraft under Part 135, but if someone finds it on single-engine, please, share instead of flame, even though flaming is much easier to do than actually learning something

Sorry if what I portrayed was taken wrongly