Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Operating Costs for Piper Chieftain

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat

Originally Posted by FR8DWGIE View Post
Wow, that seems really lean and low on the power. I used to fly them at 33" and 2400 RPM at 200 F rich of peak which would normally give me around 50 gph, but I was flying on demand cargo at the time so time was much more important than the extra fuel burn.
Our runs were usually less than an hour flying time and especially in the socal area, it made no sense to going "balls to the wall" on the power, because by the time you were in cruise, you'd have to start pulling the power back to start stage cooling. As you said, you were getting 50gph and we were getting 18 gph, over a day's worth of flying at 5 days a week, that starts to add up at the end of the year. I think across the system we were saving $10,000/day with the reduces power settings. That's with about 40 PA31's operating.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:49 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005

Ameriflight wrote the book on operating the PA-31. When I worked there, we were the largest operator by a wide margin.

Originally Posted by freightdog View Post
We would fly our Chieftains at 75 rich of peak at I believe 26". down from 30". There was a considerable drop in airspeed (about 15-20 knots). But we were told we were saving money on gas, but I was never sure because of the drop in airspeed we were in the air longer. We went to the richer side of peak also because we were getting cracked cylinders at the higher operating temps.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:31 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: BE-1900 CA

It is low and lean, but the loss in speed isn't important for the kind of legs most of the PA-31s fly (100 to 150nm). FD is right- the extra power doesn't matter on short legs. Changing from 30" to 26" gives a speed difference of about 15kts TAS. At 30", a realistic fuel burn at that lean setting is 18gph. But at 26, most engines will lean down to 13gph. So comparing the fuel burn, running 2 engines at 30" will burn 36gph, or 3.6lb/min (36*6/60). Running at 26", you can expect a burn of 26gph or 2.6lb/min.

On a short leg, 75nm, I'd expect to see a 2 minute reduction in flight time: Climb to 9000 takes about 20nm. With 55nm remaining, and a 180 vs 165kt cruise, you can get a difference of 1.7min, of course excluding any vectoring or delays or adverse descent conditions caused by ATC. Savings? Well, you might save two gallons, even with the longer flight time, for $6. But it looks like your fixed costs are about $4.58/min, adding about $9 so I'd call the short leg a wash.

Even on long legs, there's not a huge difference. At 325nm, it looks like the time difference stretches out to about 10 minutes. Fuel savings might be $36 at $2.95/gal, but the extra flight time would add $46 in fixed costs, not to mention what your pax may think. However, if the fuel price goes up, now it makes a lot more sense. At $4/gal, the fuel savings are $50. $5/gal, and now it's over $60.

However... that's all no-wind calculations. Toss in a headwind of 40kts, and now that 165 TAS turns into 125 GS. Your 300nm remaining takes an extra 34 minutes- 144min versus 110. At the higher power setting the time would be 128min, so you'd save 16min and spend about $43 more on gas. However, that 16 minutes equates to about $73 in fixed costs... So at low fuel prices, bumping the power up seems to make sense. As fuel costs rise, the reduced power settings make more sense.

None of that takes into account the extra wear and stress of operating at the higher power settings, though. I don't have good info on what kind of a difference the power changes make on the MX side. I DO know that leaning to 25 rich of peak is a bad, bad idea. AMF tried this a year back or so, and it was trouble. Especially at 30", it leads to burned cylinder heads and cracked exhausts.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

we were getting 18 gph,

per side, right? Didn't you do trend monitoring ,too, for higher TBO's?
Old 03-15-2009, 05:31 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2009

Wow.....its amazing to see all these fuel saving techniques. What I am skeptical about is if it would cause engine damage to some extent. All these high manifold and fuel mixtures. Now you save the money in fuel and so on but at the end of the day do you end up spending more in mx is the question.

Just something to consider I guess......I really appreciate all these responses. I am learning alot on this type of aircraft so far. Keep em coming guys. Very much appreciated.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by deadstick35 View Post
per side, right? Didn't you do trend monitoring ,too, for higher TBO's?
We were required on any leg over 30 minutes, if i'm right, chieftain drivers jump in here, to do trend monitoring in the mx logbook.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:11 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by jonnyjetprop View Post
Ameriflight wrote the book on operating the PA-31. When I worked there, we were the largest operator by a wide margin.
And we still are. It's always fun going on Airliners.net and seeing what airline these PA31's used to fly for.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:15 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by jonnyjetprop View Post
I was sitting in MMH one day and saw a passenger executive interior chieftain sitting on the ramp next to mine and asked the captain if I could take a look inside and see what it looked like with seats in it. He asked me what I was flying and I told him the cargo chieftain next to his. He asked me if I wanted a job.
Supposedly he was the chief pilot of the operation and his insurance guy said if they can find an Ameriflight pilot with chieftain time then the insurance rates would go down.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:49 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2009

I was sitting in MMH one day and saw a passenger executive interior chieftain sitting on the ramp next to mine and asked the captain if I could take a look inside and see what it looked like with seats in it. He asked me what I was flying and I told him the cargo chieftain next to his. He asked me if I wanted a job.
Supposedly he was the chief pilot of the operation and his insurance guy said if they can find an Ameriflight pilot with chieftain time then the insurance rates would go down.
Bet you got hired on the spot freightdog. A a significant amount of chieftain time and bring there insurance down......phew they struck gold.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by cpatterson19 View Post
Bet you got hired on the spot freightdog. A a significant amount of chieftain time and bring there insurance down......phew they struck gold.
well, i refused the job and three months later found myself in a 99 then 6 months later found myself in a metro, so in hindsight glad i turned it down, but it was a nice airplane. I've seen a lot of nice Pa31s and panther conversions for sale with nice interior/avionics setups.