Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

To take 135 job or not?

Old 06-16-2006, 03:14 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: EMB170 FO

Originally Posted by kalyx522
Hi everyone,
I'm a fresh college graduate with 297 hrs. Like most everyone else, my plans were to flight instruct until I got enough hours to apply to the regionals. (I have my CFI/II/MEI.)

Then I got a job offer from a part 135 in Hawaii, SIC position in C208B(Iflywinnebagos mentioned the company in his 4/26 thread.)
This job seems to have pros and cons (a major con including the $8/hr wage, as Iflywinnebagos mentioned) but I concluded that overall, it will be good experience, especially for someone at an early stage in their career like me.

Now I'm not sure if I'm making the right decision. My goal is to get to the airlines as soon as possible. I know about now, regionals require about 100-200 ME time. If I took this 135 position, I'll be getting about 50-60 flight hrs a month, and those will be only SIC SE turboprop time. How much is that worth and will regionals even consider me with SIC SE time even if its turboprop? Do airlines place any value on the kind of experience I'll get from the kind of flying I'll do in Hawaii?

I'm not trying to be picky, being such a low-time pilot. But I do have another option, my previous plan - flight instructing - and I'm wondering if that will be a better and/or faster path to the airlines. (If I instructed, I would be working for a major university so I would have a lot of work. Said university is in a hiring frenzy right now for CFIs due to the large number of instructors who continue to leave for the regionals.)

FYI, I personally don't have a preference for either job.. I think they'll be equally challenging yet satisfying in different ways. I just want to pick the job that would be better for my future.
Please help, your words of wisdom will be much appreciated.
Go 135. It will make you not only a better pilot, but a better person also.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:48 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: FO dhc-6

Originally Posted by C175
Go 135. It will make you not only a better pilot, but a better person also.
yes but if what your doing today is not getting your where you want to be in the long run why do it?

everyone blames kids for taking up the regional jobs, true but it seems like whats left of "the majors" only take people with loads of PIC turbojet time, so you leave us no other route?

whos gonna get hired by a major, someone with 2000 PIC turbojet or 2000 multi and no jet experience.

but anyways, dont go go waster your time in hawaii, although your not working for free, its jobs like that that require side projects which are destroying the integrity of the industry. I applied to them, then got a letter explaining what the deal actually was about being a ramp worker and flying on the side, i wanted to call him back and tell him to eat ****, ill fly first and then work ramp for the extra money. but i didnt
Old 07-10-2006, 05:55 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2006

If it was multi time, I would say go for it. SEL time isn't worthless but 113 gets you nothing extra. The fact that it's SEL SIC is not going to be worth as much as flight instructing in a 152 and logging as PIC. Do the flight instruton route and beg any multi time you can get.