Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Union Question/Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 08:12 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2009
Position: Riding the company horse bareback
Default Union Question/Help

Ameriflight needs help! In the last year a half we have a Director of Flight Op’s who has managed to also take over the Chief Pilot position. Under this self serving leadership moral has gone from bad to absolutely rock bottom. We have pilots sitting reserve and doing very little flying at some west coast bases, yet we are hiring more pilots we don’t need. Together with the training department, base assignments and higher paying equipment are being give to these new hires or low time training pilots without being put up for bid.. Pilots are being forced to push flight time limits.( You really didn’t go over your 15 Hr’s so we have to give 10 Hr’s rest did you?). MX issues being down played, etc. When long time pilots complain they are either forced to resign or fail check rides that are obviously rigged before they ever start. On a weekly bases pilots come through Burbank that are fed up with the lack of respect and concern for their basic rights and work conditions. With AL as both DO/CP and SH running the training department we are desperate for union representation. They have proven time and time again that they are habitual liars, whose main concern is for their own personal agenda without regard for the pilots that are out there busting their behinds every night. We were in contact with the IBT, until their problem’s took priority and now we need help while the pilot group is united as it is for collective bargaining and job protection with due process. Any union reps or anybody with any ideas on how to get started again, please help. The anger expressed by the pilots coming through Burbank is an indication of the system wide frustration with AL and SH running this company into the ground, I can guarantee at least an 80% vote for union representation. A certified pilots union would be preferable, but at this point we will even the UAW or the Service Workers union would be voted in. Any union reps please help. Go to any Amerflight base and at least 2 out of 3 pilots will be willing to help. Since I have been with Ameriflight this is not the first time the pilots have tried to organize. This however is by far the most fed up and united we have been as a whole at all bases. Hurry while AL and SH are still in their positions and are uniting the pilots for union representation.
Thanks for any and all help!
Old 07-05-2009, 08:26 AM
Can't abide NAI

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Douglas Aerospace post production Flight Test & Work Around Engineering bulletin dissembler

No one can organize a union like bad management can.

Call, write, or commute to:

Alpa > Footer/Admin Links > Contact Us

... all the ways to contact ALPA are on that page.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:51 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008

Originally Posted by WstCstSlave View Post
Ameriflight needs help! In the last year a half we have a Director of Flight Op’s who has managed to also take over the Chief Pilot position. Under this self serving leadership moral has gone from bad to absolutely rock bottom. We have pilots sitting reserve and doing very little flying at some west coast bases, yet we are hiring more pilots we don’t need. Together with the training department, base assignments and higher paying equipment are being give to these new hires or low time training pilots without being put up for bid.. Pilots are being forced to push flight time limits.( You really didn’t go over your 15 Hr’s so we have to give 10 Hr’s rest did you?). MX issues being down played, etc. When long time pilots complain they are either forced to resign or fail check rides that are obviously rigged before they ever start. On a weekly bases pilots come through Burbank that are fed up with the lack of respect and concern for their basic rights and work conditions. With AL as both DO/CP and SH running the training department we are desperate for union representation. They have proven time and time again that they are habitual liars, whose main concern is for their own personal agenda without regard for the pilots that are out there busting their behinds every night. We were in contact with the IBT, until their problem’s took priority and now we need help while the pilot group is united as it is for collective bargaining and job protection with due process. Any union reps or anybody with any ideas on how to get started again, please help. The anger expressed by the pilots coming through Burbank is an indication of the system wide frustration with AL and SH running this company into the ground, I can guarantee at least an 80% vote for union representation. A certified pilots union would be preferable, but at this point we will even the UAW or the Service Workers union would be voted in. Any union reps please help. Go to any Amerflight base and at least 2 out of 3 pilots will be willing to help. Since I have been with Ameriflight this is not the first time the pilots have tried to organize. This however is by far the most fed up and united we have been as a whole at all bases. Hurry while AL and SH are still in their positions and are uniting the pilots for union representation.
Thanks for any and all help!

you need to enable PM
Old 07-05-2009, 09:16 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: Sr. VP of button pushing

When you talked with the IBT, did you talk with anyone in local 1224? They want to be the cargo pilot union. There used to be a guy, "Rhino," with ALPA national out of Herndon, I think his full time job was organizing. Just remember, which ever way you go - and I've been both - you're going to get a structure. It's up to pilots at your airline to fill it in and make things happen.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: Sofa Stress Tester

Did EM the previous FLT Ops DIR quite or go back to U.S. Airways?
Previously for advancement you had to meet certain flight time requirements. Are they taking new hires with below company mins for the equipment. Or is it that the current employee's don't yet meet those requirements?

I worked for AMF years ago and found the company, base managers, MX to be fair.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:27 PM
New Hire

Default R U kidding me!

Slave,

Have you been living in a cave? IBT were busy staying out of the slammer and watching airlines decertify! In case you haven't noticed unions have done little to help other than force companies into bankruptcy or closure. Now thats a great concept! I am with you on the issues but come on, liars and agendas? What would SH's agenda be? If you have issues/questions we should address them with our ACP. I have found AMF management, as the Zig man said, fair and willing to listen. 135 freight is a dod eat dog business. There are pilots and companies that will take your job in a minute and customers who would let them if they could save a buck! You raise some good points, but what you mention doesn't happen at my base. If seniority systems are not being followed, bring it up with local management. I can say from my base perspective you are in the minority.

r
Old 07-07-2009, 09:44 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat

Originally Posted by reality View Post
Slave,

Have you been living in a cave? IBT were busy staying out of the slammer and watching airlines decertify! In case you haven't noticed unions have done little to help other than force companies into bankruptcy or closure. Now thats a great concept! I am with you on the issues but come on, liars and agendas? What would SH's agenda be? If you have issues/questions we should address them with our ACP. I have found AMF management, as the Zig man said, fair and willing to listen. 135 freight is a dod eat dog business. There are pilots and companies that will take your job in a minute and customers who would let them if they could save a buck! You raise some good points, but what you mention doesn't happen at my base. If seniority systems are not being followed, bring it up with local management. I can say from my base perspective you are in the minority.

r
reality is right,

Management is fair, and unions will never work at AMF. We are a third party contractor and if they got us better pay and benefits it would affect our bottom line when we bid UPS contracts. UPS would just stop renewing our contracts and using ma' and pa' operators again.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat

Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Did EM the previous FLT Ops DIR quite or go back to U.S. Airways?
Previously for advancement you had to meet certain flight time requirements. Are they taking new hires with below company mins for the equipment. Or is it that the current employee's don't yet meet those requirements?

I worked for AMF years ago and found the company, base managers, MX to be fair.
EM went to United as DO for a while and now he's is in some high ranking position within the TSA (the overbearing gov't agency, not the airline)
Old 07-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2005
Position: Swivel Chair

Originally Posted by freightdog View Post
EM went to United as DO for a while and now he's is in some high ranking position within the TSA (the overbearing gov't agency, not the airline)
Boy, now there's a step in the right direction!

TransMach
Old 07-09-2009, 04:23 PM
New Hire

Reality,

Have you been living in a cave? WstCstSlave you do know that Reality is AMF management…. They have been on these forums for years. but freightdog is right!

Last edited by icepilot; 07-09-2009 at 04:27 PM. Reason: just because