Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Anyhing picking up in YIP?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 04:23 PM
On Reserve Forever

Joined APC: Sep 2009
Position: Would you like fries with that gear, sir?

If you leave Western...let me know. Jesse (you might know him) told me to send a resume to the Dean (i believe) and I was told that are no openings. College flight training is a gem and at an FBO (i.e.)LOU you won't find much. Live it up while you can. Is it slowing down up there?
Old 01-04-2010, 04:29 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Trying not to crash

Yeah I know him, he's a good guy. We're not hiring right now- things are fairly steady, but not nearly as busy as we used to be. The weather is what's hurting more than anything right now. Good luck!
Old 01-04-2010, 05:56 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Lear 55 CA

Originally Posted by point432 View Post
If you leave Western...let me know. Jesse (you might know him) told me to send a resume to the Dean (i believe) and I was told that are no openings. College flight training is a gem and at an FBO (i.e.)LOU you won't find much. Live it up while you can. Is it slowing down up there?
thats absolutely not true at all. i flew 1000 hours last year....
Old 01-04-2010, 05:59 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by detpilot View Post
To go where, exactly?
somewhere where you dont have to wait in a long line to get multi time
Old 01-05-2010, 04:00 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008
Position: Just a broker now.

Business is picking back up in YIP. I know right now USA Jet is hiring "Contract Captains" on the Falcon and I'm not sure about the 9's. It changes daily up there.

Kalitta is doing pretty well. I did four trips with them in about two weeks (Three Falcon's and a Lear). They also just got a new 727.

IFL also picked up a new 727, I'm not sure if they are hiring. Back in Septemeber they got three new Falcons but I'm pretty sure they are all filled.

That's all I know off of the top of my head.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:05 AM
On Reserve Forever

Joined APC: Sep 2009
Position: Would you like fries with that gear, sir?

Originally Posted by wmuflyboy View Post
thats absolutely not true at all. i flew 1000 hours last year....
Whats not true? FBO flight schools not making much? Maybe I misspoke and I am just speaking for my place of employment then. 40hrs in the last 4 months. And your 1000 hours...where and what was the make up of your employment? How many schools were you working for? Did you do anything other than instructing? My tip for detpilot was, don't leave if you have something good and Western from what I hear is good. I believe if you are flying a steady 600+ hours a year, then it is worth the stay. Granted you're able to pay your bills.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by point432 View Post
Whats not true? FBO flight schools not making much? Maybe I misspoke and I am just speaking for my place of employment then. 40hrs in the last 4 months. And your 1000 hours...where and what was the make up of your employment? How many schools were you working for? Did you do anything other than instructing? My tip for detpilot was, don't leave if you have something good and Western from what I hear is good. I believe if you are flying a steady 600+ hours a year, then it is worth the stay. Granted you're able to pay your bills.
you can get a good amount of hours at a regular FBO rather than a big flight school. my buddies at western are getting killed with the weather that michigan brings for 4 months. granted thats not everywhere. i have worked for one school, we are a small FBO and I fly A LOT. im one of 3 or 4 full time instructors. thats where its at. its the places with 20+ instructors, of course you arent gonna fly a lot. And its a good mix of single and multi-time too. not that wait in line for an MEI slot crap the big schools have. you just have to search around, its out there, but you have to be flexible....
Old 01-06-2010, 12:55 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Trying not to crash

The weather sucks for sure, but in general we all have at least 3 full time (4 slots per week) students at all times. I wish I were flying more, but based on what I've seen, we fly more than most part 91 schools. The part 91 FBO at AZO has about 5 instructors, and friends there were struggling to get a few hours a week. As far as CFI jobs go, WMU is all that I could ask for (I can't afford my MEI, so I wouldn't be teaching in twins anywhere else anyway)- It's just that I'm ready to move on after almost 1200 dual given.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:01 AM
Gets Weekends Off

isnt everybody?

you gotta be marketable. have you tried like flight express or some cargo operation that operates single engines but offer you a chance to fly some multi later on? it sounds like thats the only way you are going to build multi time if you cant afford an MEI. you are at least going to need at minimum 100 hrs of multi to get a job you want. the day of getting a jet job with 25-50 multi is dead.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:02 AM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

You guys are in similiar situations I was in, but this was in fall of 2005. 1400TT, 40MEL, no jobs. Interviewed with Airnet, didn't get the job(didn't really get along with HR guy) Finally gave up on Flight instructing, went home to Indiana to help my dad farm to build some funds to buy some multi.

It rained 2 days later, I went looking for part-time CFI work, and stumbled upon a local freight guy I never knew existed, and worked for him for the next 20 months building 2000 hours in C310's, and lead me to my current job.

So basically what I'm saying is just keep your head up, don't take the first opportunity just because it is a job(For me it was Airnet, I could've gotten the job if I wanted to just bend to the HR's ways), but find the one that you can enjoy, will challenge you, and get you to your next step.

Good Luck