Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

How Profitable are Owner/Operators?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 10:59 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Default How Profitable are Owner/Operators?

I'm wondering how profitable owning & operating a small turboprop, jetprop or jet is? I'm a real estate investor who loves to fly and would like to be an owner operator of at least one small VLJ (or maybe a used Citation ISP) and maybe a Cheyenne III for shorter strips. Does anyone have any info, stats or advice? I'd love to hear about specific operating costs associated with different types of planes/jets.

Thanks
Old 08-01-2006, 11:23 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: BE-20, RA390
Default Profits

All the owner/operators I know say that aircraft ownership is extremely hard to financially justify. They use the airplane in the business, but it is still quite a bit of a want.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:36 AM
New Hire

Default Sorry, let me be more specific...

I would like to fly charters full time. I'm done being a landlord and will be out of the business in about 3-5 years.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:13 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: Sofa Stress Tester

If I understand you question, your saying you would like to buy an airplane and charter it 100% of the time, and would it be profitable?
I would say no, there's a reason most aircraft that are used for chartering have owners. They are simply trying to defray the costs of ownership. It's a rare case when the chartering company actually owns the aircraft.
One option that you might want to consider if you really want ownership is finding a partner. Although this comes with its own obstacles.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:31 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: SEL & MEL, L & R
Default Pt 135 fulltime owner operator

As I have heard, those that charter 100% go from point to point picking up and dropping off loads they have bid on, but it is a very competitive business. You have people who are so tight that they sleep in FBO's or their aircraft and only eat stuff they brought with them. You don't get to rest properly and have to stay on the computer all day bidding charters.
Your jets are faster, but somebody ready to go wheels up in 15 min in a Bonanza will way underbid you.
YMMV
Old 08-25-2006, 06:11 PM
New Hire

Originally Posted by Airhead View Post
I would like to fly charters full time. I'm done being a landlord and will be out of the business in about 3-5 years.
I'd suggest that you use your aircraft to help you make more money in real estate investing - 'cuz it's VERY difficult to make a go of it doing charter.