Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

CASW: Central Air Southwest

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 01:22 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: Airline Captain

Little update from me. The guys at the company are great. But their POI is a moron. Even with piles of documentation from the FAA proving my SIC time in a King Air is indeed loggable, he wouldnt accept it, and I didnt get the job.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:59 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2010
Position: Captain

That's ironic considering they were charging people $30/hr to log SIC time in a Commander - and had a paper from the FAA saying it was legit.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:21 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Yeah, I have a copy of a letter that they have asked me not to share with anyone. BUt it actually reversed that letter that allowed them to do it.

But that isnt what this thread is about. Again, I will say that the company seemed like a great place to work. I know they are still looking for pilots as they are still flying guys in to KJVY to cover their route. If you are looking to fly night cargo, this is a good place. Twin engine aircraft that seem to be mechanically sound (although cosmetically dead)... And they pay good. The route I was trying to get pays twice what a first year regional FO makes. Im just sayin.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2011

Anyone care to share some info on their SIC program? Is it the kiss of death if someone was to do it even though it is very valuable time?
Old 07-05-2011, 04:58 AM
Respek

Joined APC: Jul 2010

They don't have it anymore and why would you pay someone to do a job as SIC in a single pilot airplane?
Old 07-05-2011, 05:29 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Karch Letter from FAA Chief Counsel...

It was written to a guy in this very situation. He had a pay to play SIC program for his 135 cargo op. The letter plainly states that an SIC acting as an SIC on a plane not type-certificated for two pilots and not operating under regs that requires two pilots... CAN NOT LOG SIC TIME!

If, however, he meets the requirement of 135.245 and takes checkrides under 135.293, he may sit in the right seat , act as sole mainpulator of the controls, and log that time as PIC. However, legally, the man sitting the left seat and "acting as PIC" cannot "Log" PIC. They are two different things to the FAA. So if the guy in the left seat knows he cant log it if you are flying it from the right seat, whey would he ever let you have the controls?

With that said, they do have one passenger carrying aircraft out of Kansas City. Two pilots are then required under 135.101 and the SIC can log that time as SIC time.

I dont agree with pay-to-play programs, but if you feel you must do it, just dont pay for time that you can't log.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:06 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2011
Position: 737 CA

Got a friend from college who is looking for a 135 gig and he mentioned this place. Do they hire for a particular base or do you go to training then they say "this is what's available"?
Old 08-11-2011, 07:30 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by DirectTo View Post
Got a friend from college who is looking for a 135 gig and he mentioned this place. Do they hire for a particular base or do you go to training then they say "this is what's available"?
This is how I understand it works......

If they get a contract for a run, they will post the opening for said run. You have to have single pilot 135 minimums. If you do the SIC program, which is very valuable time, they will upgrade you to 135 VFR PIC @ 500 TT. You "might" get to fly for money then if they can't find another 135 IFR PIC to cover a run that someone calls in sick for. VFR only, obviously. All other time is still in the SIC program after the VFR upgrade. However, if you're a company SIC and are lucky to get a PAX charter where you log actual SIC time, you can get paid for that. Or so I heard.

Another thing though to keep in mind is the SIC is given a chance to take the run first if they are up to 135 minimums.

I will say this, for as "simple" a plane the Commander is, training is very thorough and the training department is very professional.

Last edited by NCR757dxr; 08-11-2011 at 08:15 PM. Reason: "Someone" changed to "135 IFR PIC."
Old 08-11-2011, 08:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2011

Originally Posted by DirectTo View Post
Originally Posted by NCR757dxr View Post
This is how I understand it works......

If they get a contract for a run, they will post the opening for said run. You have to have single pilot 135 minimums. If you do the SIC program, which is very valuable time, they will upgrade you to 135 VFR PIC @ 500 TT. You "might" get to fly for money then if they can't find someone to cover a run that someone calls in sick for. VFR only obviously. All other time is still in the SIC program. However, if you're a company SIC and are lucky to get a PAX charter where you log actual SIC time, you can get paid for that. Or so I heard.

Another thing though to keep in mind is the SIC is given a chance to take the run first if they are up to 135 minimums.

I will say this, for as "simple" a plane the Commander is, training is very thorough and the training department is very professional.
I am a little confused about the above 2 posts. The requiements say one need to have 1200TT 50 hrs multi Etc etc for a pilot job, how & where does the SIC program fit in & what time or hrs are need for that...
Old 08-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by bcpilot View Post
I am a little confused about the above 2 posts. The requiements say one need to have 1200TT 50 hrs multi Etc etc for a pilot job, how & where does the SIC program fit in & what time or hrs are need for that...
Just mentioned all the ways I know of to get paid flying at CASW in one paragraph. Also, like I said above, I think current company SICs get first dibs on jobs if they have the required times for single pilot 135 flying.

Last edited by NCR757dxr; 08-11-2011 at 08:25 PM.