Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

CASW: Central Air Southwest

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2010
Position: 737 CA

Originally Posted by bliddel View Post
Easily, yes. Probably about that many hours in the C208 as well. ... And of course you knew he had a master's degree in aviation safety? From everything I've been able to read and analyze, Brian did everything exactly right (Like Brian always did) until the very end. My guess is that he thought he'd be home for dinner with another great story to tell, until he rolled into the tree that he could not see through the oil-covered windshield.

- Bruce
I suspect you're right. It obviously touched down pretty normally and rolled into the tree. He was a pretty good stick as I recall.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:15 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2011

Originally Posted by fjetter View Post
Fixed it for ya....SIC pay to play programs shouldn't be used for any revenue generating flights. If their GOM/OpSpecs requires a SIC then the company should hire, train, and pay SICs. If that's too expensive then adjust your opsecs/gom to include A/P in lieu of SIC.

Maybe issue the airline hiring boards have is not so much the legality of the time rather the fact that it is pay to play.
Incorrect in many ways..... The SIC is not a required crew member on the freighters so why would a company pay someone? The SIC is compensated for all passenger flights but CASW has authorization to use an SIC in all operations but don't need them at the same time. The wording is "at the desecration" or something like that. Basically if the SIC doesn't show on a freight trip then no big deal.

If the program is all someone has at the time then who are we to judge? You're not taking anyone's job and are able to get out of the flight school mentality and into the real world at the same time; very valuable when trying to become a professional pilot.

The pay the play with CASW boils down to renting the airplane to build time, just like renting your C172 from the FBO but the difference is the quality of time you receive. The old mentality of saying play to play sucks just doesn't cut it anymore in this new world of HR5900 and the over saturation of CFIs. If you want to help your career progression bad enough, this is a reasonable way to do it.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Its not meant to get you from 250 to 1200 (single pilot IFR mins)..... just to help a floundering pilot get some more TT under their belt helping them get to the next point in their career.

Pay to play wouldn't be an issue if our system could be overhauled to a more international system of flight training for professional pilots. However that discussion is for another day and time
Old 12-10-2012, 08:43 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: King Air 200 CA Hawker 800/900 FO

Originally Posted by NCR757dxr View Post
Incorrect in many ways..... The SIC is not a required crew member on the freighters so why would a company pay someone? The SIC is compensated for all passenger flights but CASW has authorization to use an SIC in all operations but don't need them at the same time. The wording is "at the desecration" or something like that. Basically if the SIC doesn't show on a freight trip then no big deal.

If the program is all someone has at the time then who are we to judge? You're not taking anyone's job and are able to get out of the flight school mentality and into the real world at the same time; very valuable when trying to become a professional pilot.

The pay the play with CASW boils down to renting the airplane to build time, just like renting your C172 from the FBO but the difference is the quality of time you receive. The old mentality of saying play to play sucks just doesn't cut it anymore in this new world of HR5900 and the over saturation of CFIs. If you want to help your career progression bad enough, this is a reasonable way to do it.
Originally Posted by NCR757dxr View Post
Its not meant to get you from 250 to 1200 (single pilot IFR mins)..... just to help a floundering pilot get some more TT under their belt helping them get to the next point in their career.

Pay to play wouldn't be an issue if our system could be overhauled to a more international system of flight training for professional pilots. However that discussion is for another day and time

Ok now you've confused me and I'm not sure how their program is setup. My questions for you are:

I understand by your post above that SICs are required for pax runs but not freight runs.
  • Does the company pay for all the training or do SICs pay to become a qualified required crew member?
  • On freight runs where a SIC is not required does the SIC pay for this time?
If the are right seating without pay as a non-required crew member that's one thing but pay-for-play to support CASW's business model just doesn't work for me. Would you pay your employer to go to work

I understand where you're coming from about it being experience building to make yourself more marketable for future positions vs cfiing (which has it's own pros and cons) and agree that's another conversation for another time
Old 12-11-2012, 06:02 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Passenger
SIC paid to fly

Freighter
SIC pays to fly

Very cheap time building. Look past the "working" side of things and see that you're basically renting an airplane instead of "working" for the company if that makes sense.

SIC pays for training. I actually think it a toss up when comparing someone who pays for training and a training contract IMHO. Both things suck but that is the majority of 135 world for you.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:55 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007

Anyone know the schedule or pay in the ADS or DAL area?
Old 02-15-2013, 07:05 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2013

For those interested... I am not big on SIC programs or pay to play however, if one did avail themselves of it, especially the CASW SIC program (if it still exists) for building time or multi, think of it more importantly as building experience. You would get some rather expensive but very worthwhile experience. CASW pilots are very respected in the industry and have no problem moving on when the time comes. Additionally, For those legally qualified to fly 135 IFR PIC, Again don't think about the multi time, it will take care of itself. More importantly and especially with a company like CASW you must be very comfortable/competent with single pilot IFR and you will also be dealing with a lot of rime ice in the winter and thunderstorms in the summer. A couple years of that will make you a real pilot, you'll have your 1000 multi and be able to go just about anywhere (especially in the corporate world)
Old 02-25-2013, 08:59 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2010
Position: Captain

Originally Posted by Yoda2 View Post
More importantly and especially with a company like CASW you must be very comfortable/competent with single pilot IFR and you will also be dealing with a lot of rime ice in the winter and thunderstorms in the summer.

comfortable/competent with single pilot night IFR. Considering where most new hires come from, it's quite the kick in the woo-hoos the first months. It's more of a confidence builder than time builder.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:12 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2010
Position: Captain

Originally Posted by mojo6911 View Post
Anyone know the schedule or pay in the ADS or DAL area?
--------PM'ed.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:45 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2014

Reviving a zombie thread to find out new information on this company. They recently posted on flightlevel350 about openings in the Columbus and Cincinnati area. Anyone have recent experiences with pay and scheduling?