Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

CASW: Central Air Southwest

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2011

Their SIC time is legit.... everyone needs to look past the physical regulations and see what is actually in their GOM. The GOM super seeds the actual regs. Pay to play sucks but it's great time building. In fact, CASW doesn't have OpSpec A015 (auto pilot in lieu) and you become an actual paid employee if you fly 444CB on pax trips. Basically the SIC program helps low time pilots get from A to B in their career.

Company is a lot better than most typical 135 outfits. AT, while wearing many hats, provides really good training (especially for the type of plane you actually fly). Some of the better training I've seen relatively speaking of course. JT is a great guy; super nice.

The new chief pilot (knows his stuff and let's you know that he knows it if you get what I mean) used to be a check airman. The new JXN base is probably for him. Not that fun to fly with but he can fly really well.

Keep it in perspective..... it's a night cargo 135 operation but its actually not that bad. A lot better then most. Hard flying when the weather sucks though.

As far as being a VFR PIC there, forget it. They will not use VFR PICs even if its clear and a billion even though they say "you could" while in training.

Last edited by NCR757dxr; 12-06-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:54 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2010
Position: Captain

35K is not top out pay, many of us make more than 40K per year. It all depends on your route.

Originally Posted by Cbusbased View Post
I normally meet up with some of their pilots in the middle of the night in Ohio. Their most senior pilot is topped out in pay at $35K. Their AC50s are pretty old, and from what i've been told by some of their pilots, their mx is kinda shady. They do have TKS systems and no radar; only a G396 w/Nexrad. I believe they have around 30 planes. Their schedule is not bad though. Those guys might only have a 3 hr run up to 10 hrs. Paid hourly. Also not sure about how they're doing financially as I do know their credit cards were getting declined for fuel.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:51 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2012
Position: BE40 Left

I was just going by what I was told.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:13 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2010
Position: 737 CA

Originally Posted by bliddel View Post
My friend, Brian Quinn, used to be director of flight training for this company, until about 2005. I wish he still worked there, and so do they. Brian was killed 11/6/2012 in a FedEx Feeder flight - turbine seizure which obliterated his visibility with oil. He landed in a field OK, but rolled into a tree he surely could not see.

Anyway, I understand if you work there long enough, they give you a vanity tail number. Brian's tail number was 23BQ. Andrew pledged to keep that tail number as a memorial to Brian.
Man, that's too bad. I hadn't heard about this. He did my IOE when I got hired there back in the day. First Murray and now Brian......sad. We weren't great friends or anything, but it's still weird to read that he died in a plane crash. Didn't he have like 10,000 hours in the Commander or something?
Old 12-08-2012, 08:10 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007

Are they still running the SIC program? I heard they haven't recruited any in years.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:18 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Yes they are still running the SIC program.....

SIC Application « Central Air Southwest
Old 12-09-2012, 03:17 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Trying not to crash

I've heard secondhand stories of airlines refusing to recognize their SIC time, without a letter from a fsdo saying why it's valid. The person presented documentation from the company, to no avail.

YMMV.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:43 AM
Gets Weekends Off

A copy of the FSDO letter should work. The letter clearly authorizes and validates the SIC time in addition to having it in the GOM. No SIC should pay a cent until a copy of that letter is in their hands.

Any hiring board that decides to disregard the FAA are a bunch of idiots. I'd rather hire a pilot that has flown the line as an SIC with CASW for 300-400 hours over a CFI who has 1250 hours of dual given flying around the pattern. Flame away but it only makes sense from a practical point....
Old 12-10-2012, 01:55 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: lapsed medical

Originally Posted by osuav8r View Post
Man, that's too bad. I hadn't heard about this. He did my IOE when I got hired there back in the day. First Murray and now Brian......sad. We weren't great friends or anything, but it's still weird to read that he died in a plane crash. Didn't he have like 10,000 hours in the Commander or something?
Easily, yes. Probably about that many hours in the C208 as well. ... And of course you knew he had a master's degree in aviation safety? From everything I've been able to read and analyze, Brian did everything exactly right (Like Brian always did) until the very end. My guess is that he thought he'd be home for dinner with another great story to tell, until he rolled into the tree that he could not see through the oil-covered windshield.

- Bruce
Old 12-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: King Air 200 CA Hawker 800/900 FO

Originally Posted by NCR757dxr View Post
A copy of the FSDO letter should work. The letter clearly authorizes and validates the SIC time in addition to having it in the GOM. No SIC should pay a cent.

Any hiring board that decides to disregard the FAA are a bunch of idiots. I'd rather hire a pilot that has flown the line as an SIC with CASW for 300-400 hours over a CFI who has 1250 hours of dual given flying around the pattern. Flame away but it only makes sense from a practical point....
Fixed it for ya....SIC pay to play programs shouldn't be used for any revenue generating flights. If their GOM/OpSpecs requires a SIC then the company should hire, train, and pay SICs. If that's too expensive then adjust your opsecs/gom to include A/P in lieu of SIC.

Maybe issue the airline hiring boards have is not so much the legality of the time rather the fact that it is pay to play.