Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

King Air time?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 04:36 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2010
Position: Captain

Originally Posted by minimwage4 View Post
I don't understand this post.. What King Air operator is going to hire you with 850 hours anyways?? Are you trying to say no operator will hire you without turbine time?

The only way that you can log King Air time on the passenger seat is if the PIC is a CFI. Even then, it's pretty worthless time, not only to you but to the recruiters. Now, it won't hurt when you hit pt135 mins and you are applying for a king air position. But I'm not sure if that's your intention with the above post.
I completely disagree with that statement. What "recruiters" are you talking about? If a PIC so chooses to allow the individual in the right seat to be the sole manipulator of the controls, then the individual can log the time as PIC. This is not uncommon on "deadhead" or non pax legs. Likewise, if the PIC is an MEI, and is willing to sign the other pilot's logbook as dual, he can as well log this time a PIC. To call this "useless" time is incorrect.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:58 AM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

Originally Posted by Belly Flyer View Post
I completely disagree with that statement. What "recruiters" are you talking about? If a PIC so chooses to allow the individual in the right seat to be the sole manipulator of the controls, then the individual can log the time as PIC. This is not uncommon on "deadhead" or non pax legs. Likewise, if the PIC is an MEI, and is willing to sign the other pilot's logbook as dual, he can as well log this time a PIC. To call this "useless" time is incorrect.
I agree, the time, even if it can't be logged, is still not useless. I learned a ton when I rode right-seat in a charter. I didn't log the live legs, only dead-heads, which were few and far between. People really underestimate the value of just being exposed to these operations, regardless if it's "loggable" or not. And for those in these situations, ask questions, watch, learn!!!!!

Now as a side-note, make sure you have a high-alt endorsement to log your PIC time, as a Be20 requires one.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2009
Position: E-170

Originally Posted by quinny89 View Post
What's up C? Not much happening around here, trying to get some decent times in the book since i'm still stuck working at 'you know where'.

How's the freight gig working out for ya?
Job's not bad...getting turbine pic which is better than i could say a year ago.

As for the king air time, Like everyone is saying only way to log right seat time in a king air would be if the operator does not have the autopilot in lieu of sic, which is typically only new operators. We do have a time building program in the Beech 99 (close enough to a king air) but its pretty expensive. You go through training and get a SIC 135 ride. You can log the SIC time while you fly the 135 legs due to 61.51 (F) (2). We have a 135 opspec for reduced takeoff minimums which can only be used with an SIC onboard and therefore you can log it.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:31 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2009

Seeing you are on a LR 60, what are your company's requirements for SIC? I'm just curious.
We have an open insurance policy and our last SIC was hired with less than 1000 hours. Typically we need 1500+ for ARG/US and we've brought up a few with no prior jet time.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:40 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008

Originally Posted by propjunkie View Post
As for the king air time, Like everyone is saying only way to log right seat time in a king air would be if the operator does not have the autopilot in lieu of sic, which is typically only new operators.
Not sure I'd agree with that, either. You can also log time in the right seat when acting as a required crewmember (such as safety pilot)...and Autopilot-In-Lieu-Of-SIC is definitely something that can be approved/issued to new 135 certificates.

-mini
Old 08-12-2010, 09:10 AM
2 days off

Joined APC: Jun 2009
Position: Embraer Systems Analyst

Originally Posted by Belly Flyer View Post
Recruiters as in someone that's going to hire you at an airline or a flight department. It doesn't matter what you think about dual given in a king air, it matters what they think. But I guess you are right even under dual given, experience is experience.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2010
Position: Goodyear Blimp-roap jockey, CSIP, CFII, MEI

I'll tell you it is pretty hard to find anyone to fly with to get KA time...I have cast every net that I know to try and get time...but still nothing. I am in the Chicago area and I see KA's everywhere, but no one is willing to let even a guy with a couple thousand hours fly with them. It continues to be a tough situation for people trying to move up to the next step. My guess is to sit tight, keep instructing and wait until a lot of those KA guys start getting gobbled up by the regionals. It's an uphill battle...keep the faith Quinny
Old 08-12-2010, 02:12 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Left

Originally Posted by CFItillIdie View Post
I'll tell you it is pretty hard to find anyone to fly with to get KA time...I have cast every net that I know to try and get time...but still nothing. I am in the Chicago area and I see KA's everywhere, but no one is willing to let even a guy with a couple thousand hours fly with them. It continues to be a tough situation for people trying to move up to the next step. My guess is to sit tight, keep instructing and wait until a lot of those KA guys start getting gobbled up by the regionals. It's an uphill battle...keep the faith Quinny
Ummmm? That would be a major downgrade for every KA driver I know
Old 08-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: 320 right side

Our company requires 2 pilots on both the Ultra and King Air 200. When I was building time, I flew right seat on a KA 90 when the company required another pilot. It was part 91, I was l able to log the time. (That was 12 years ago, but I dont think much has changed) In response to your question, you may have to CFI a little more, or ride along on some freight gig and log the dead head legs as I did, and before you know it, you will be past the 1200 hours and ready to move on!! I wish you the best! All of us had to pay the price at some point...
Old 08-24-2010, 10:49 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007

Originally Posted by firedup View Post
or ride along on some freight gig and log the dead head legs

what do ya think this post is all about?? LOL

I don't work for a freight company, or charter company, or FBO. I'm just trying to find out if there are ANY operators in NE Ohio that would let a guy sit right seat.

Guys, please don't ready any more into this than that. I'm a CFII/MEI, i'm quite aware of what hours i'm legally allowed to log and what i can't. The post started off with a simple question, didn't need it to go into all of this.

Thanks.