Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Alaska Jobs

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 11:01 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2006

I am not aware of anything else but what the guy said. I personally sat and talked with him. He did not mention anything about PFT. Pay was to be $1500 a month w/ housing & transportation provided. Take it for what its worth or not. . . the info is free. . . . . . .

Last edited by TyFoo; 08-18-2006 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:10 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: MD

Originally Posted by SkyHigh View Post
Like others have mentioned before it is all in how Alaska time is received by the interviewer. When I interviewed with Alaska Airlines ironically enough the human resources person had a problem with my Alaska employment history. She couldn't understand why I would only work for a place seasonally or would move on after a year or two. She also couldn't understand that some of the jobs were dangerous and located in a miserable remote village that offered a low quality of life and how that would motivate someone to leave as quickly as possible.

Other employers at the charter level thought that Alaska Pilots were all "mavericks" and saw it as a liability. Perhaps I had a bad run however I haven't seen any of my Alaska pilot peers who have fared any better. Perhaps if you were to get a job immediately for ERA or in the right seat at Penair things would have been different. Back in my time those guys were all sponsored by their Alaska Airlines fathers who dropped a dime to get them a job there. In my case however I was stuck in piston planes and moved my way up the ladder company to company.

In any case we all mostly advance through friends and contacts that we make along the way. Alaska is an isolated place the contacts that I made there could only get me dried fish or beer. It was difficult to move on after that state.

SkyHigh
Just a reminder, that's your experience, and therefore your Opinion. Right?
Old 08-19-2006, 10:01 PM
APC co-founder

Joined APC: Feb 2005
Position: B777

Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
I know that there are bad and good operators, just like everywhere else, but what are the opportunities?
Shaun,

Give me a call, it wasn't too long ago that I was living on Lake Hood.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005
Position: Still Swinging props!

I've spent the last year enjoying the wonders of Alaskan tundra aviation. It's what you make of it, what you take from it, what you put into it that matters. There are good companies, and like you've read here, there are those that aren't so good.

It's not the kind of place that you want to start flying in the winter time, so take as much time as you can, wherever you are this winter, and build time however you can. Then start to market yourself in March for the April and May hiring season. Learn to fly Alaska in the summer. That's my contribution. If you PM me later, I'll tell you who I worked for, and what my experiences were. I've written a log as well, and maybe you'll find some humor in those stories.

In short, as much as I b!tched and moaned while I was there (no comments from those that know me, please!), I wouldn't have traded it for anything.
Good luck,
Frozen
Old 06-19-2008, 08:10 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2007

Checkout www.flyalaska.com for Alaska flying job info.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:17 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: Yes & Yes!

Originally Posted by SkyHigh View Post
Man I know I will get jumped for this but I would avoid Alaska like the plague if you hope to be an airline pilot one day. Airlines and charter companies have a dim view of Alaska style flying and don't hold much stock in it at all. An Alaska job just leads to more Alaska jobs and it is difficult to get any good turbine time in the bush. I would stay in SEA and work the ramp for contacts a little more. Don't go to Alaska unless you are prepared to take a career hit and possibly die.

SkyHigh
I can't say I agree with this post. I personally know a captain at Alaska Airlines who flew a B1900 on the North Slope(and didn't have an in as you later comment) and I know several UPS pilots that did so as well. Personal experiences may vary but I know for a fact that Alaska bush time will not preclude moving onto bigger and better opportunities.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:16 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: Looking up

To contribute to the big ol' thread bump:

A) true, know several to prove that point
B) that post is from summer 06
C) SkyHigh thinks the sky is falling

(attitude goes a long way, is all I'll say about that)
Old 06-19-2008, 03:05 PM
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default B1900

Originally Posted by SPDBOILER View Post
I can't say I agree with this post. I personally know a captain at Alaska Airlines who flew a B1900 on the North Slope(and didn't have an in as you later comment) and I know several UPS pilots that did so as well. Personal experiences may vary but I know for a fact that Alaska bush time will not preclude moving onto bigger and better opportunities.
There are a few good jobs that one can get in Alaska that are alright. I was thinking more of the traditional 206, 207, DHC-2 bush style jobs. Those are dead ends.

Skyhigh
Old 06-19-2008, 03:09 PM
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Sure

Originally Posted by SC-7 View Post
Just a reminder, that's your experience, and therefore your Opinion. Right?
Everyone here is sharing their "experiences". In my Alaska experience few were able to make the leap from bush pilot to airline guy. Most are either dead, quit flying or are still up there and trying to get out.

SKyhigh
Old 06-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007

Originally Posted by TyFoo View Post
The director of Ops for L.A.B. was just down in PDX yesterday and said he was looking for 10-15 pilots for a September class. Requirements were 700TT, aircraft were Archer, Lance, Cherokee 6, w/ upgrades to Chieftan & Seneca. Based in Juneau hauling mail / passenger(s). I have contact info if interested.
Wow....they called and offerred me a class date a few months ago.