Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

charters in hawaii...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 11:21 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2010
Default charters in hawaii...?

Hey!
I was browsing the internet and found a couple 135 charter companies in Hawaii, namely George's Aviation, Pacific Island Air, and Island Air. Is there anyone who can give me some info on those companies, or even perhaps one I haven't found yet?!? I'm in desperate need of some multi time and I don't mind doing the charter stuff. In fact, I kind of like the idea of going from island to island, just not liking it where I'm at currently (cherokee 6 flying 10 miles back and forth. ick) I'm kind of a low-timer (630 TT/73 ME) so a company with two pilot operations would be a nice start. And before someone suggests it, I'm not a CFI and don't plan to be unless things get so desperate that I have to shell out for it. Please let me know if you've got any inside scoop Thanks in advance!

PS if you know of a company that isn't in hawaii, i'll take that too haha
Old 10-21-2010, 01:04 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2010
Position: right seat

so you are looking for a company in hawaii that does vfr 135 ??? Sounds like a tall order . If you had IFR 135 mins maybe ...
Old 10-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Line Holder

nah I need some ifr experience STAT. do SIC need 135 ifr mins also? i thought it was a requirement for PIC only, unless the company requested otherwise.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:51 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2005
Position: A320 Captain

Originally Posted by flyreggiefly11 View Post
nah I need some ifr experience STAT. do SIC need 135 ifr mins also? i thought it was a requirement for PIC only, unless the company requested otherwise.
That is correct only the PIC needs the 135 requirements but in your first post you said something about wanting something single pilot or something with two pilots. Which one is it? I don't think you quite have a grasp on what it takes to get a job right now, especially with your times. Unless you go with Pacific Wings, which will be an experence in itself. Everyone and their mother with your level of experience would like to get into something bigger and better. Get out and network and maybe you'll get lucky.

What's the big deal about logging IMC all of a sudden? Island flying is usually very good weather, what kind of IFR do you expect. If you need IMC move to the Midwest or Northeast and spend a winter there........
Old 10-21-2010, 05:28 PM
Line Holder

wisconsin- first, thank you for answering my question. second, maybe you should slow down and read. i said i was looking for a 2 pilot operation seeing as i do not meet 135 pic requirements. i currently fly 135 day vfr (boring), and am looking for something slightly more challenging. i miss the days of getting vectors and being cleared for an approach. and i'd love a job in the northeast since my family is in ny, so if someone has a recommendation on where to look, i'm all ears.

i'm not naive. i know i have low times and would be very lucky to get something, as wisconsin so kindly pointed out. i just don't see the point in snide comments when all i was looking for is some help from other pilots. like i said, if anyone has any thoughts/suggestions, i'd love to hear them. but please leave your rude 'tude on another thread.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:38 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2005
Position: A320 Captain

wisconsin- first, thank you for answering my question. second, maybe you should slow down and read. i said i was looking for a 2 pilot operation seeing as i do not meet 135 pic requirements. i currently fly 135 day vfr (boring), and am looking for something slightly more challenging. i miss the days of getting vectors and being cleared for an approach. and i'd love a job in the northeast since my family is in ny, so if someone has a recommendation on where to look, i'm all ears.

i'm not naive. i know i have low times and would be very lucky to get something, as wisconsin so kindly pointed out. i just don't see the point in snide comments when all i was looking for is some help from other pilots. like i said, if anyone has any thoughts/suggestions, i'd love to hear them. but please leave your rude 'tude on another thread.
..........Colgan, based in the northeast flying around SAABs. Sorry if I sounded harsh but most people looking for jobs do all they can to research whats out there before asking someone else to find it for them.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:00 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2010

Originally Posted by dn_wisconsin View Post
..........Colgan, based in the northeast flying around SAABs. Sorry if I sounded harsh but most people looking for jobs do all they can to research whats out there before asking someone else to find it for them.
I don't think a SAAB will do it. If flyreggiefly is already bored doing vfr charter with only 600 hours, how long do you think it will take before turboprops are boring? My advice is to submit an application straight to Delta.

Seriously, you are wasting your own time asking others if they know of an outfit that is hiring for people with 600 hours. The market is saturated with overqualified pilots. Flying vfr charter might be boring to you, but you are lucky to have that job. If you are ready to move on to something more challenging, then get your CFIs. If you are flying regularly and are on top of your game, they are not difficult to get. Every time I see someone on apc with low time asking how to get a better job and they refuse to get their CFIs, I couldn't care less. You spent thousands of dollars to get you commercial and if you could not afford another $3 grand to get your CFIs then you planned poorly and should be happy to get any flying job at all. Instructing is the most beneficial thing you can do if you have less than 1500 hours. You will meet lots of people, get a sound understanding of airmanship, build time quickly, and will have many interesting near death experiences to break up the monotony.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:13 PM
Line Holder

[QUOTE=2StgTurbine;888482] My advice is to submit an application straight to Delta.

YES! now that's the stuff i'm looking for!

i'm sorry you guys have gotten the wrong impression. i guess i was just hoping that maybe i could get something useful out of the members here instead of being criticized. i wasn't looking for anyone to hand me a job. i understand how the job process works, and i've applied to bunch of places already just like everyone else around here. i know i'm lucky to have a job, believe me. forgive me for looking for something better; i mean, i thought that was how you're SUPPOSED to build a career in aviation.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:50 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2010

forgive me for looking for something better; i mean, i thought that was how you're SUPPOSED to build a career in aviation.
At your stage, don't worry about looking for something better. The rush to move on to something bigger and better is what is hurting the industry. Instead of looking for a better job, make yourself a better pilot. No matter what job you apply to, there will always be someone who has more time then you. You should be doing everything you can to supplement your low time. Keep the 135 gig you have and focus on achieving everything you can at this stage in your career before you start trying to move up the ladder. I will say it again, go get your CFIs. Get your ATP written done too. In this market, you cannot rely on your flight time. Everyone has flight time. Instead, show your future employers that you can bring something else to the table besides 600 hours. Getting you CFIs will not get you your dream job, but it will show future employers that you have a more diverse background and are more committed to the profession than someone without them.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:06 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2005

Nothing wrong with looking towards your next job, however you need the skills and must meet the requirements to do so. Sounds like you may be flying in Saipan, a good friend of mine did it, then flew ifr 135 and now flies for a legacy.
The IFR 135 mins and ATP are what you should be striving for, not many employers looking for 600 hour pilots except maybe flying skydivers.
Don't forget you need to meet insurance mins as well as FAR mins for any job. Most Caravan jobs require 2,000 tt for insurance.