Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Non-Competition agreement in Florida

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 06:30 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2012

F224 is right... that agreement would get tossed out in court in a heartbeat. Non-competition agreements are rarely able to stand up in court. They have to be fair and cannot impose overly broad and harsh standards. Two years and the whole country (plus additional countries) is far too broad and it would never hold up.

Also, it would be voidable due to coercion to sign, such as them stating sign or you're gone.

Overall, just sounds like scare tactics from management to get employees to sign and stay.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:58 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2007

Wow, total crap sandwich, that one. Any chance the entire pilot force can collectively tell them no?

Is there really that much demand for Lear drivers that they even have a need for that sort of thing?
Old 10-25-2012, 04:49 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2009
Position: Square root of the variance and average of the variation

Wait, this is a non-compete as a pilot? Not a non-compete against starting your own air am? That's akin to saying you can't work as a doctor if you're not working at a certain hospital. My guess is it violates FL law.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:15 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: the right side

Originally Posted by Std Deviation View Post
Wait, this is a non-compete as a pilot? Not a non-compete against starting your own air am? That's akin to saying you can't work as a doctor if you're not working at a certain hospital. My guess is it violates FL law.
I have a non-compete that prevents me from going to another company as a pilot for any company that does the same thing, in any state we operate in or have operated in, as well as any country we operate in or have operated in. It's a freaking joke.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:34 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2011
Position: Precarious

The thing here is that it might be easily tossed out in court, but you will have to pay a lawyer to defend you in that case. That is on your dime. I agree that it is too broad, but you will have to be the one to pony up the cash to fight it.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:54 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: B757 Ca, Retired.

Originally Posted by conquestdz View Post
The thing here is that it might be easily tossed out in court, but you will have to pay a lawyer to defend you in that case. That is on your dime. I agree that it is too broad, but you will have to be the one to pony up the cash to fight it.
You're making the assumption that you would be sued, and properly served in the first place. If the former employer can find a competent lawyer to bring such a suit is highly unlikely. If the non-compete is overly broad, chances are that you could bring an ethics complaint (a free process in most states, including Florida) against the plaintiffs lawyer when the case was thrown out and then counter sue for costs from both the former employer and their lawyer.

Legal and limited non-competes and training contracts are not the problem, only these overly broad agreements that are the equivalent of indentured service.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:26 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Dec 2009

Non competes are typical for pilot jobs in Florida. Both flight schools I used to instruct at had them. The last place I worked WILL go after you, and they have bankrupted previous co-workers of mine.
Tell them to stuff it, go else where. They will fire you, you are expendable. As long as pilots act like cheap *****s, the pay and conditions will always be sub par.