Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Non-Competition agreement in Florida

Old 10-07-2012, 03:41 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: furloughed...
Default Non-Competition agreement in Florida

Hello my friends. About 6 months ago, I took a job with an Air Ambulance company in Florida, flying as PIC in Lears. It has been an "ok" job with an "ok" salary, home every night and only fly maybe every other day unless on a hard day off. Out of the blue the managment has come up with a non-competition agreement that I am sure will be a "sign or else" scenario. Does anyone have experience with Non-competition in Florida? From what I can see, it follows the guidlines outlined in Florida law governing such agreements but 2 things that irk me is that conditions are effective for up to 2 years after leaving the company and involve the whole United States as well as the Islands and South America. Also it calls for waiving my rights to jury trial and arbitration. I know that if I don't sign it they will terminate me. Anyone have any advice? Anyone know of a Lear job available?? Looks like I will soon be unemployed.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:21 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2012
Position: BE40 Left

Wow, thats a bit extreme. JetSelect Management is in Boca and I know they operate Lears and Challenges. Look them up.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:35 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2011

Seems very extreme. Not sure how they could enforce it. If your only livelihood is through flying, they cannot keep you from it. If you know a good lawyer,I would be asking them.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2011
Position: CJ4 manager/pilot

Agreed...get to a lawyer if you want advice, don't ask on an Internet message board full of pilots, not lawyers.

If they're asking for that...might get back in the job hunt.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: B757 Ca, Retired.

Non-compete agreements are almost always voided by the courts for two reasons, too long (over one year) and two broad (the entire country would fit that category, not to mention extra territorial) it's law school 101 stuff.

I would tell them to stuff it and watch them panic, if all of your pilots do it together, they will back off.

My advise, talk to a labor and/or contract attorney.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:14 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2009

There is no such thing as "or else". They will keep you until its time for a checkride or SimSchool and then the topic will come up again. They want you to understand that they have a vested interest in you, and they are trying to tell you that by making you sign something. Ussually a discussion and a handshake can get this done in small companies. Try a discussion before you "lawyer up".
I have found that once an employee is not happy, it is time for them to move on. Pilots have direct contact with our customers and can sour a passenger much faster then bad catering
Old 10-08-2012, 02:01 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: The Far Side

Originally Posted by F224 View Post
Non-compete agreements are almost always voided by the courts for two reasons, too long (over one year) and two broad (the entire country would fit that category, not to mention extra territorial) it's law school 101 stuff.

I would tell them to stuff it and watch them panic, if all of your pilots do it together, they will back off.

My advice, talk to a labor and/or contract attorney.
Unfortunately, there are always one or two weasels ... not to mention hundreds who will drop right in your seat if you vacate it. While I don't know the small details of your situation, of course, including (and I mean nothing personal) your own performance / deportment - which may be a factor here - I'd be inclined to lawyer up. Even if you try the discussion and handshake approach mentioned above (and this is the best way, if possible), forewarned is forearmed. An attorney can tell you if you have any recourse (and what to indicate to your bosses verbally, if anything) as well as if your employer has ammo or blanks.

My G_d, are there any operations anywhere in the U. S. that aren't run by a bunch of greedy incompetent jerks?

(It's rhetorical. Don't bother answering, I already know).
Old 10-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Sitting on the sidelines

Joined APC: Aug 2007

I agree with the earlier post, the whole country is way too broad. That would get tossed out in court. Also, a contract requires compensation to be valid. What are they giving you in order to get you to sign? Should be a contract for services for at least as long as the non-compete clause!
Old 10-13-2012, 05:15 PM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

Even training agreements can be voided in courts. I don't see how they can enforce this since you're already employed by them. Crazier things have happened I guess.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:28 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2012

I doubt the company would spend the money to sue you in another state.