Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Southern Airways Express (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/76054-southern-airways-express.html)

FuryfromtheSky 01-05-2019 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by dera (Post 2736881)
How is this legal?
135.265(a)(5)?

On a weekend, our duty day is approximately 12 hours. Our scheduled “block time” is 8.2 hours. That’s startup to shutdown and encompasses taxiing, deicing, holding short, etc. Block time is what we log in our log books. The scheduled “flight time” on the same day is usually around 7.5. We keep track of both flight time and block time in the aircraft logbooks and the company will occasionally double check it.

Hope that clarifies a bit.

ANAS20077, good luck in the interview next week. I can’t tell you if you should take the job or not. That really depends on what your other options are and how willing you are to relocate or commute. I will add that while I enjoyed instructing, I’ve enjoyed this more and the experience so far has been great.

dera 01-05-2019 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Flaps8posrate (Post 2737497)
To quote:
Six legs of flying will generally equal 5.8 hours of flight time and 8 hours total (supervising fueling, waiting for passengers, preflight, etc)

Yes. And 8 legs for 8.2 hours on weekends which was what I was commenting on.
And his comment clarified it. They just use the good old FAA busted "flight time vs block time" "loophole".

dera 01-05-2019 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by FuryfromtheSky (Post 2737565)
On a weekend, our duty day is approximately 12 hours. Our scheduled “block time” is 8.2 hours. That’s startup to shutdown and encompasses taxiing, deicing, holding short, etc. Block time is what we log in our log books. The scheduled “flight time” on the same day is usually around 7.5. We keep track of both flight time and block time in the aircraft logbooks and the company will occasionally double check it.

Err wtf?
You cannot legally schedule 8.2 hours of flight time (and yes, that includes taxiing etc) in 135 scheduled operations.
You need to check what "flight time" means in the FARs.

Boeing Aviator 01-05-2019 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Anas20077 (Post 2736712)
I have a phone interview with them next week. Should I accept the job offer?

My two cents. Flying up to 120 hours a month (probably averaging almost close to 100 hours a month if you work
hard) in a two pilot, scheduled 135 airline operations? Flying in the NE corridor in IFR operations (most of where Southern operations takes place) into high density airports. Why wouldn’t you want his job?

I’m a 32 year United 757/767 Captain who mentors lots of pilots and have my own simulator business. It’s all about a seniority number at a legacy carrier. Get hired as fast as you can, your whole career depends on that seniority number. Get your time ASAP, get to a Regional at 1500 hours. Get to a Legacy (AA, DAL, UAL, SWA, Fedex or UPS) or next tier low cost carriers (JetBlue, Spirit, Alaska, Hawian, Frontier or Allegiant) as fast as you can.

Can you build time as fast flight instructing, flying in a PC-12 for a fractional? If you can’t, yes take a job at Southern in a New York second.

Anas20077 01-05-2019 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Boeing Aviator (Post 2737589)
My two cents. Flying up to 120 hours a month (probably averaging almost close to 100 hours a month if you work
hard) in a two pilot, scheduled 135 airline operations? Flying in the NE corridor in IFR operations (most of where Southern operations takes place) into high density airports. Why wouldn’t you want his job?

I’m a 32 year United 757/767 Captain who mentors lots of pilots and have my own simulator business. It’s all about a seniority number at a legacy carrier. Get hired as fast as you can, your whole career depends on that seniority number. Get your time ASAP, get to a Regional at 1500 hours. Get to a Legacy (AA, DAL, UAL, SWA, Fedex or UPS) or next tier low cost carriers (JetBlue, Spirit, Alaska, Hawian, Frontier or Allegiant) as fast as you can.

Can you build time as fast flight instructing, flying in a PC-12 for a fractional? If you can’t, yes take a job at Southern in a New York second.

Thanks for advise:))

Anas20077 01-05-2019 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by FuryfromtheSky (Post 2737565)

ANAS20077, good luck in the interview next week. I can’t tell you if you should take the job or not. That really depends on what your other options are and how willing you are to relocate or commute. I will add that while I enjoyed instructing, I’ve enjoyed this more and the experience so far has been great.

Thanks, :))

Flyhigh728 01-06-2019 09:15 AM

Is the only way to apply for a FO position through the Mesa program? I couldn’t find any info on who to contact regarding a first officer position on their website.

salhnl 01-15-2019 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Boeing Aviator (Post 2737589)

How did it go? Did you take it?

salhnl 01-15-2019 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Anas20077 (Post 2736712)
I have a phone interview with them next week. Should I accept the job offer?

Posted on the wrong post...:p

Anas20077 01-15-2019 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by salhnl (Post 2743439)
Posted on the wrong post...:p

I took it last Wednesday. Didn’t get back to me yet.