Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Vintage Props and Jets

Old 12-26-2006, 11:39 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005

Originally Posted by UNDGUY View Post
I just got a phone call from one of my students. He was working on his instrument rating with me. He called me to tell me that he decided to go to one of the 90 day wonder programs. He says he wants to "hurry and get it done." He tells me he is doing his instrument, commercial, multi, and CFI through MEI in 90 days. 90 DAYS!! What a freakin joke. You can not tell me that any type of quality can come out of a rush job like that. I bet the retention rate is about 10 percent when you try to cram two years worth of work into 90 days. Even worse is that after they finish they will be teaching others to be crappy pilots. I would be real comfortable with the imformation I was teaching if it was all crammed down my throat in 90 days. Yeah right. If I owned a flight school I wouldn't even consider hiring one of these jackasses trying to take shortcuts where shortcuts shouldn't be taken. I know for a fact that my boss tosses apps right in the garbage if they are from any of those accelerated ratings places. He's hired them before and their students would complain because they suck as teachers, what a surprise.
A lot of people suck at teaching. It has little to do with their lack of knowledge. I use to train foreign NCOs and officers in tactical communications systems - some people can teach and some can't. Many of my peers were too interested in getting their career tickets "X'd" for the next tour...

Sound grasp of teaching fundementals developed over time when the teacher was allowed to learn / encouraged to grow. The ones that failed at teaching were not interested in doing it for the most part...

-LAFF
Old 12-26-2006, 05:11 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: CRJ left

Originally Posted by LAfrequentflyer View Post
A lot of people suck at teaching. It has little to do with their lack of knowledge.
Well...... not knowing your stuff surely doesn't help...

Originally Posted by LAfrequentflyer View Post
Sound grasp of teaching fundementals developed over time when the teacher was allowed to learn / encouraged to grow.
Thats why ATP dedidates a WHOLE 2 WEEKS to train students to become CFI, CFII and MEI.... Lots of fundementals of learning and teaching techniques are covered in all that time.....
Even the guys who went there admit it was a joke.