Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 11:49 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Default Ameriflight questions

So I hear that it takes about 6 months to upgrade to a turbine at Amerflight and that you usually start out in Portland or Oakland. I also understand that when you upgrade to a turbine that you almost always have to change bases. So my question is what bases are the junior turbine bases that people usually go to? Also how long does it take to get into the right seat of the lear and then the left seat? I know there are a ton of posts about Ameriflight but I have not seen these specific questions addressed. Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:47 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat

Originally Posted by LearPilot View Post
So I hear that it takes about 6 months to upgrade to a turbine at Amerflight and that you usually start out in Portland or Oakland. I also understand that when you upgrade to a turbine that you almost always have to change bases. So my question is what bases are the junior turbine bases that people usually go to? Also how long does it take to get into the right seat of the lear and then the left seat? I know there are a ton of posts about Ameriflight but I have not seen these specific questions addressed. Thanks in advance for your input.
LearPilot,

Yes it takes about 6 months to go from the Chieftain to turbine equipment. However, upgrading doesn't mean that you have to change bases. You can hold out at your base for a turbine slot. It all depends on the upgrade time and how many people are staying put and not upgrading or leaving. If I had to guess, "junior" turbine bases would probably be BUR, BIL, SLC, and OAK. However, there is a lot of senority there as well. As for the lear jets, some can get into the right seat probably after two years if they have zero turbine time when they start at AMF, maybe sooner if you have turbine or jet time. As for the left seat, that could be as long as 10 years before you get to see that seat. But who knows, it all depends on the needs of the company and opportunities available.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:23 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: Sofa Stress Tester

Learpilot:
AMF has 5 lears, 3 on charter (I believe) and the other's still on bank runs. All the Lear captains are ameri-lifers, and the FO's are either ameri-lifers, or have an in with management.
Basically, if you want to fly a Lear, Airnet or Kalitta is the place to be.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:31 AM
On Reserve

Thanks for the input guys. I currently fly lears and so I was just curious about the possibilities of getting into to one at Ameriflight. I have a little over 1500 hours with about 700 jet and I am thinking about applying (trying to get that turbine PIC). I would really like to get into a turbo prop at SLC. Not as interested in the lear side. I see on there website they post openings. Is Ameriflight always kind of hiring or does it go in spurts? Any projections for the future year of hiring? Thanks again.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:40 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: Sofa Stress Tester

Learpilot: Time looks good, we need 99 drivers in SLC. You should be able to get that quickly, if not from the start.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Default Amf

Originally Posted by LearPilot View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I currently fly lears and so I was just curious about the possibilities of getting into to one at Ameriflight. I have a little over 1500 hours with about 700 jet and I am thinking about applying (trying to get that turbine PIC). I would really like to get into a turbo prop at SLC. Not as interested in the lear side. I see on there website they post openings. Is Ameriflight always kind of hiring or does it go in spurts? Any projections for the future year of hiring? Thanks again.
LearPilot,

AMF is ALWAYS hiring!!! Someone is always upgrading or leaving. It would probably be really easy to get a 99 slot up in SLC. Best of luck!
Old 01-31-2007, 05:12 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Default San Juan Flying

How about SJU flying slots. How often do they hire down there and what is the lifestyle like flying out of SJU?
Old 01-31-2007, 12:59 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Default SJU Slots

Originally Posted by VTcharter View Post
How about SJU flying slots. How often do they hire down there and what is the lifestyle like flying out of SJU?
Can't speak from experience but they don't hire too much down there. The base has gone really senior and they usually hire locally down there. Usually hire local pilots who have already been flying down there with previous operators. All the runs are high time runs and it's an turbine base.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:51 PM
On Reserve

thanks for all the info guys
Old 05-04-2007, 08:59 PM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by freightdog View Post
LearPilot,

AMF is ALWAYS hiring!!! Someone is always upgrading or leaving. It would probably be really easy to get a 99 slot up in SLC. Best of luck!
What are the minimums for 99 slot at SLC?