Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Corporate in PIT. Landmark?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 09:01 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2015
Default Corporate in PIT. Landmark?

So I'm currently working for a 121 regional carrier and am not getting anywhere-10 year upgrade and another two years of reserve (already been there two years). I'm getting drained, and am looking to make a movie to the corporate sector if the pay, QOL is good, and they are based out of PIT where my family is.

Has anyone worked for Landmark (at any of the locations)...how was it? Does anyone have any recommendations out of PIT or AGC?

Lastly, if I go corporate are my dreams of ending up at a major ruined? To be honest it's becoming less and less appealing-but am nervous that door may close if I go 135...

I'm not extremely competitive, 2100TT, 600 Turbine-all sic

Thanks!!
Old 12-09-2015, 01:07 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2015

Yeah man that would be way to low time to be leaving.

If you had 5k and 4000 121 I would say you are not closing the door for the majors. However leaving with only a 1000 121 will have recruiters at majors wondering if you just couldn't handle the lifestyle even though it's a crap show. I'd say stay on a little longer and hang in there man.

135 is a hard lifestyle too. Pastures aren't always greener on the other side...
Old 12-09-2015, 08:40 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2015

Thanks for the response...I've actually didnt think about that. You're right that would look like a huge red flag and I could end up regretting that....

I guess the biggest thing is getting back to PIT so I could spend more time with family, but I guess it is what it is..I interviewed with republic who's based there but I'm not sure if I got the job, so am thinking of other options. I'll stick it out in the 121 world, and see what happens. Thanks man.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:08 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2014

Pittsburgh has a small selection of part 135 operators. There is one that operates out of both PIT and AGC. If I were you, I'd stay far away from that one. You will sign a training contract and be promised the world. Once you've signed the dotted line you are his. If you don't have PIC turbine it will be years before you upgrade while you watch people come in off the street to fill that position.

Fast forward 10 years when you have enough time to leave. You will owe him money for the training contract. Yes, even after 10 years. (Every time you go to training, you'll sign another one.) Many people end up with overlapping contracts.

Add the on call 24/7 lifestyle, poor salary (the NBAA survey is no where near reality at this operation), weak benefits, temper tantrums together and you have a miserable job. I purposely have not mentioned a company's name. It won't take long when you ask around to figure out who it is.

Do yourself a favor and stick with the regionals. I'm assuming you wanted to fly for the airlines in the first place. If you can find another regional with a shorter upgrade, go there. It would be much easier explaining the change in an interview for your dream job, than a jump to 135.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:21 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2015
Position: Fetal

Interviewed with Republic at 2100 TT? Don't worry, you have that job if you want it. Also, keep in mind you have to do what's right for you, personally. "Good QOL" to you might be a ****show in the next guy's opinion. Take a look at what's really important to you (being close to family vs. pay vs. upgrade times vs. types of flying) and go where you'll be satisfied.