Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Are 500h worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 06:55 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2012

Originally Posted by HPIC View Post
I have to chuckle every time I read these types of posts.

To be fair, I don't see in this thread guys saying "I have 500 hours now give me a damn job!" as I've heard in the past...but you guys really have it good compared to us dinosaurs that were in your shoes 20-30 years ago.

Take whatever job you can get to build time and experience, and if you have multiple offers you can be a little picky. Be willing to move...maybe several times...to get to that next level. CFI, banner tow, bush flying, survey, whatever you can get. If you're not willing to move to where the jobs are, your progress in the early part of your career will most likely be extremely slow or non existent.

I'm so willing to move I lived 26 years in Spain, moved to UK for 3 years, then Germany another 3 years, and I ended up here in the US. My first job was in a solar plant in the middle of nowhere between Las Vegas and Reno, some 2500 people....so I ain't picky at all. I of course plan on being picky after a few thousand hours lol, but right now I'm 100% humble, and I'll move anywhere in a heartbeat. Single, no kids, my family is in Spain....I'm the perfect choice haha.
Old 11-25-2016, 06:56 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by El Pilot View Post
Aerial Survey is good. There are many companies out there besides picto-vendors where you can work full time. good luck. I just got my first job at 408tt

Congratulations

Would you be willing to share how you did it? did you knock at some doors....you got lucky online....you knew someone, anything info would help
Old 11-25-2016, 07:12 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011

Originally Posted by Javichu View Post
Congratulations

Would you be willing to share how you did it? did you knock at some doors....you got lucky online....you knew someone, anything info would help
Pictometry survey season usually runs from October - May. I just kept myself current and applied when I saw the job on climbto350.com. Keep the resume updated as there are some who leave early or it gets busy in the Spring. Persistence is key I guess.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:51 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2016

Try LifeTeam. Air medical out of Kansas flying C90's. One of the only medevacs flying two pilot. Thy're mins say 800 for an FO, but they'll take you with much less.
Old 11-27-2016, 01:44 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2016

In my humble opinion, the key to standing out from a crowd is face time. A lot of these operators have a stack of resumes with every applicant having the same qualifications on paper. The key is to start introducing yourself to people.

Make it your mission to shake hands with as many chief pilots, DOs, and owners as you possibly can. Once they can associate a face and a personality with your application, your chances at a job will skyrocket. Gas is cheap right now. Get in your car and go knock on some doors.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:05 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by thenewguyhere View Post
In my humble opinion, the key to standing out from a crowd is face time. A lot of these operators have a stack of resumes with every applicant having the same qualifications on paper. The key is to start introducing yourself to people.

Make it your mission to shake hands with as many chief pilots, DOs, and owners as you possibly can. Once they can associate a face and a personality with your application, your chances at a job will skyrocket. Gas is cheap right now. Get in your car and go knock on some doors.

That's true, and I've been thinking about it for a long time good advice!. Time to do some deep research
Old 11-28-2016, 02:03 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Nov 2015

I got my CFI at 500 hours and it was totally worth it. Now coming up on 1,200 hours this month and I have an offer to work at a 135. I also am picking up some right seat gigs in twins now that I can fly multi which I recently did the add on.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:30 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by islandhopper668 View Post
I got my CFI at 500 hours and it was totally worth it. Now coming up on 1,200 hours this month and I have an offer to work at a 135. I also am picking up some right seat gigs in twins now that I can fly multi which I recently did the add on.

Congrats for that offer!

How long did it take to fly those 700h?
Old 11-29-2016, 12:44 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: Airline Captain

I think getting 100 hours of Multi is as important as getting 500 TT. That opens up some more doors. If you have 500TT/100MEL, and are mobile and willing to relocate, Corporate Flight Management is a great place to get time as an FO and they need a lot of Jetstream FO's right now.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:44 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Walkeraviator View Post
I think getting 100 hours of Multi is as important as getting 500 TT. That opens up some more doors. If you have 500TT/100MEL, and are mobile and willing to relocate, Corporate Flight Management is a great place to get time as an FO and they need a lot of Jetstream FO's right now.

Super mobile and willing to relocate next day

Never thought about getting to 100MEL. I have 36h MEL right now.

It sounds like an expensive decision, but I'd do it in a heartbeat if I knew it'd get me a job, which nowadays it's like a lottery.

When you say a lot of F/O, what do you mean exactly?

I love Jetstreams btw.