Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Are 500h worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 06:49 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: Airline Captain

They currently have routes for the J32/31 in Three different EAS routes in Michigan, Texas, and Tennessee/Mississippi. Recently they acquired two more EAS routes in Arkansas/Texas. These routes tend to be 1week on/ 1week off if you live in the city they service (MQY based guys don't have it that good). So that means a minimum two FO's per route. So rough guess, they need probably 10 guys but that is purely a guess on my part. According to the CP, DFW is going to be a domicile in their new route structure.

The Jetstream is a great airplane and CFM is run like a 121 airline, not like your fly by night 135 op.

Originally Posted by Javichu View Post
Super mobile and willing to relocate next day

Never thought about getting to 100MEL. I have 36h MEL right now.

It sounds like an expensive decision, but I'd do it in a heartbeat if I knew it'd get me a job, which nowadays it's like a lottery.

When you say a lot of F/O, what do you mean exactly?

I love Jetstreams btw.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:14 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Sep 2016

Originally Posted by Walkeraviator View Post
(MQY based guys don't have it that good).
Why is that?
Old 11-29-2016, 07:17 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2012

Originally Posted by Walkeraviator View Post
They currently have routes for the J32/31 in Three different EAS routes in Michigan, Texas, and Tennessee/Mississippi. Recently they acquired two more EAS routes in Arkansas/Texas. These routes tend to be 1week on/ 1week off if you live in the city they service (MQY based guys don't have it that good). So that means a minimum two FO's per route. So rough guess, they need probably 10 guys but that is purely a guess on my part. According to the CP, DFW is going to be a domicile in their new route structure.

The Jetstream is a great airplane and CFM is run like a 121 airline, not like your fly by night 135 op.

After job searching for a while, I realized that the only way to get at least an interview is by putting a face in your resume, going to headquarters, talking to them, etc..

I've seen they have many Line Tech. job offers in their FBOs. It could also be a good way to start working for them.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:25 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2016

I have some advice for 500 hour guys. The first, u probably already know but get an annual membership to climbto350.com. It is the number one jobs site for pilots of all hour ranges. The next thing is try Midland, TX for a pipeline, FO, or CFI job. Try Basin Aviation for the FO job and OmniAero or Floris Flight Services for the CFI jobs. If you want to wait until March/April there is also American Aviation in Page, Arizona that is a VFR tour operator and will hire a 500 hr guy to start out in 172's and work your way to 206/207. Stop being cheap and just get your CFI. That will make it 100 million times easier to get a job. For FO and VFR captain jobs, almost all recruiters prefer to hire CFIs because they are easier to train.

Last edited by NatGeo; 12-15-2016 at 02:57 AM.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:50 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Javichu View Post
It sounds like an expensive decision, but I'd do it in a heartbeat if I knew it'd get me a job, which nowadays it's like a lottery.

You sound like you need a good kick in the ass! This is the easiest period in 30 years for a guy with 500 hours to get a job. The only reason you are having trouble is because you are too cheap and lazy to get your CFI. The 100 hrs of multi was terrible advice. A CFI will cost u 5 grand and 64 hrs of multi will cost you 30 grand. You let companies pay for multi training. Do an accelerated CFI program in April and get your CFI done in 7 days! Then you will be set!
Old 12-15-2016, 05:53 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2013
Position: BD-700A

Saw this and thought you may have interest....

https://mckesson.catsone.com/careers...d&src=JB-10180
Old 12-15-2016, 06:18 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: I pilot

Originally Posted by NatGeo View Post
You sound like you need a good kick in the ass! This is the easiest period in 30 years for a guy with 500 hours to get a job. The only reason you are having trouble is because you are too cheap and lazy to get your CFI. The 100 hrs of multi was terrible advice. A CFI will cost u 5 grand and 64 hrs of multi will cost you 30 grand. You let companies pay for multi training. Do an accelerated CFI program in April and get your CFI done in 7 days! Then you will be set!

Don't be so hard on the guy. He got hired.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:27 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by NatGeo View Post

Hi bitter pilot, thanks for all the love and good advice. I've never been cheap, it's never been about money (I'm glad you read carefully all my post).

I moved here from Europe to fight for my dream, didn't realize I became lazy in the process. It must be all the paperwork that took forever, I'll try my best from now on I promise.

And as zondaracer said I got hired. I didn't include in my resume that I'm lazy and cheap though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-15-2016, 04:28 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by BPWI View Post
Saw this and thought you may have interest....

https://mckesson.catsone.com/careers...d&src=JB-10180

Thanks!, much appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2016, 08:10 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Hey, congratulations! I forgive the insult. One day u will understand that I was just trying to do u a favor.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk