Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-30-2019, 11:45 AM   #1  
New Hire
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Nov 2019
Posts: 5
Default Time building - flying full-time in December

I have my commercial license and now I just need to build time as fast as possible. I have a Cessna 177rg (fresh out of annual) and I'm planning to hit 48 states in the month of December (weather allowing!) and fly 8-10 hours a day. I'm looking to find another qualified pilot who wants to share the cost and is willing to "rough it" (sleeping in FBO's, hammock or tent).

We'd split the cost of the plane plus any additional fees at FBO's. PM me for $ amount and my phone number. Home base for me is Michigan but if you are willing to fly I could probably pick you up just about anywhere.
BryceA8 is offline  
Old 11-30-2019, 01:20 PM   #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2018
Posts: 2,925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceA8 View Post
I have a Cessna 177rg (fresh out of annual) and I'm planning to hit 48 states in the month of December (weather allowing!) and fly 8-10 hours a day.
So early in your career to be telling all future employers your judgment is suspect...
Excargodog is offline  
Old 11-30-2019, 03:15 PM   #3  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Feb 2019
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceA8 View Post
I have my commercial license and now I just need to build time as fast as possible. I have a Cessna 177rg (fresh out of annual) and I'm planning to hit 48 states in the month of December (weather allowing!) and fly 8-10 hours a day. I'm looking to find another qualified pilot who wants to share the cost and is willing to "rough it" (sleeping in FBO's, hammock or tent).



We'd split the cost of the plane plus any additional fees at FBO's. PM me for $ amount and my phone number. Home base for me is Michigan but if you are willing to fly I could probably pick you up just about anywhere.
Just curious, if you already have your commercial, what are you building time for?
kettlechips is offline  
Old 11-30-2019, 03:29 PM   #4  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Jul 2017
Posts: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlechips View Post
Just curious, if you already have your commercial, what are you building time for?
Probably toward ATP minimums

Wet commercial is probably around 250-300 hours or so.

Survey and many other places won't even look at someone below 500. If he flies a about 300 hours in December its a viable way to gain hours to be marketable for a survey or pipeline job in the spring.
VegasChris is offline  
Old 11-30-2019, 03:54 PM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2018
Posts: 2,925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasChris View Post
If he flies a about 300 hours in December its a viable way to gain hours to be marketable for a survey or pipeline job in the spring.
“Viable” Perhaps in Vegas. Expecting to fly 8-10 hours a day in Michigan in December in a 177RG, a 200 hp aircraft with no anti ice/deice capability other than a heated pitot, let alone expecting to hit all 48 of the contiguous states in 30 days shows what the shrinks would call ‘poor reality testing.’



https://www.flyingmag.com/safety/weather/madness-icing/

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/36529

Last edited by Excargodog; 11-30-2019 at 04:10 PM.
Excargodog is offline  
Old 11-30-2019, 04:17 PM   #6  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Jul 2017
Posts: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excargodog View Post
“Viable” Perhaps in Vegas. Expecting to fly 8-10 hours a day in Michigan in December in a 177RG, a 200 hp aircraft with no anti ice/deice capability other than a heated pitot, let alone expecting to hit all 48 of the contiguous states in 30 days shows what the shrinks would call ‘poor reality testing.’



https://www.flyingmag.com/safety/weather/madness-icing/

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/36529
Those numbers a rediculous....I hope he flies south. This is what I am looking at today. Its cold, but easy to stay away from the moisture.

KVGT 302353Z 09006KT 10SM CLR 08/M03 A3020 RMK AO2

Not to hijack the thread but if anyone is looking to build time at $80 an hour each in my plane from now until May send me a PM. The mechanics are supposed to finally have my plane back to me this week.
VegasChris is offline  
Old 12-02-2019, 05:20 AM   #7  
New Hire
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Nov 2019
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excargodog View Post
So early in your career to be telling all future employers your judgment is suspect...
What’s wrong with my judgement? There’s nothing wrong with flying to all the states. If anything it’s amazing experience and really helps you get good at your weather planning and problem solving skills. In no way do I want to do anything dangerous like fly in icing conditions. Every employer I’ve talked to though has thought flying to all 48 states was a great idea and would pad the ol resume. Better than flying in circles every day to build time.
BryceA8 is offline  
Old 12-02-2019, 05:21 AM   #8  
New Hire
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Nov 2019
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlechips View Post
Just curious, if you already have your commercial, what are you building time for?
I’m time building to get enough hours to go to my preferred employer.
BryceA8 is offline  
Old 12-02-2019, 05:23 AM   #9  
New Hire
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Nov 2019
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasChris View Post
Probably toward ATP minimums

Wet commercial is probably around 250-300 hours or so.

Survey and many other places won't even look at someone below 500. If he flies a about 300 hours in December its a viable way to gain hours to be marketable for a survey or pipeline job in the spring.
Pretty close, I’ve got 600 hours and with about 100 in December I can go to the freight carrier I’m trying to get to.
BryceA8 is offline  
Old 12-02-2019, 05:28 AM   #10  
New Hire
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Nov 2019
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excargodog View Post
“Viable” Perhaps in Vegas. Expecting to fly 8-10 hours a day in Michigan in December in a 177RG, a 200 hp aircraft with no anti ice/deice capability other than a heated pitot, let alone expecting to hit all 48 of the contiguous states in 30 days shows what the shrinks would call ‘poor reality testing.’



https://www.flyingmag.com/safety/weather/madness-icing/

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/36529
You’re absolutely right about not flying in Michigan because of ice right now. Maybe that’s why I was flying around key west for the weekend ☀️ and with proper planing you can fly in any state at any time of year. You just have to be smart about it and make sure you do all your weather planning and don’t be stupid. You can spend time on the ground while a storm passes, and keep it VFR in the cold. As Jason Blair once told me “popsicles don’t fly”. I have no intent on turning in to a popsicle.
BryceA8 is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply

Tags
time building
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Staff guy to regionals shavetail Military 65 01-19-2018 05:29 PM
December 2017 Time Building - 60 hours Cheese7 Flight Schools and Training 4 12-04-2017 01:56 PM
Time Building in the Mid Atlantic Region campingalan Flight Schools and Training 4 06-16-2011 08:35 PM
Building pic turbine time by flying skydivers is it worth it? wmugrad05 Flight Schools and Training 3 05-26-2008 01:50 PM
JetBlue Announces Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2006 Results Gman JetBlue 23 02-09-2007 07:16 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:01 PM.