Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List
JC145, PSUPilot

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-10-2021, 07:52 AM   #6061  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Cicada's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2019
Posts: 275
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZFlyer View Post
Nice try. No one believes you.

Either way, FedEx seems very interested in hiring Piedmont pilots. So does Spirit and Frontier. You guys are in a great spot moving forward regardless of AA. There is going to be huge movement again.
Cicada is offline  
Old 06-10-2021, 07:54 AM   #6062  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Cicada's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2019
Posts: 275
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reandld View Post
I think all the doomsayers are going to be PLEASANTLY SURPRISED at what Piedmont has in store for its flight department. You folks need to look long-term and see how Piedmont fits like a glove in Daddy AA's master plan. It doesn't take Albert Einstein to see that you guys are fine!
I've yet to see anything in that AA glove other than sweaty palms and sticky fingers.....
Cicada is offline  
Old 06-10-2021, 09:24 AM   #6063  
Custom User Title
 
AZFlyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicada View Post
Either way, FedEx seems very interested in hiring Piedmont pilots. So does Spirit and Frontier. You guys are in a great spot moving forward regardless of AA. There is going to be huge movement again.
No disagreement from me there.
AZFlyer is offline  
Old 06-10-2021, 01:34 PM   #6064  
Gets Weekends Off
 
reandld's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2016
Posts: 115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicada View Post
Either way, FedEx seems very interested in hiring Piedmont pilots. So does Spirit and Frontier. You guys are in a great spot moving forward regardless of AA. There is going to be huge movement again.
No surprise there. What I like to tell people is that Piedmont pilots are like Navy Seals: efficient, elite, and serve a niche role.
reandld is offline  
Old 06-10-2021, 02:16 PM   #6065  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Cicada's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2019
Posts: 275
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reandld View Post
No surprise there. What I like to tell people is that Piedmont pilots are like Navy Seals: efficient, elite, and serve a niche role.
The Navy Seals have a consistent stream of trainees coming on line in a well thought out recruitment mechanism.
One could hardly say the same about Piedmont.
Cicada is offline  
Old 06-11-2021, 06:14 AM   #6066  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Theaveragejoker's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2015
Position: DHC-8 CA
Posts: 428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicada View Post
The Navy Seals have a consistent stream of trainees coming on line in a well thought out recruitment mechanism.
One could hardly say the same about Piedmont.
I also doubt the Navy Seals give a dozen extra sims.
Theaveragejoker is offline  
Old 06-11-2021, 08:47 AM   #6067  
Gets Weekends Off
 
CADR's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2019
Posts: 172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theaveragejoker View Post
I also doubt the Navy Seals give a dozen extra sims.

I also think the Navy and those in charge appreciate the Seals and give them all the tools and resources to complete their mission. They also probably respect them and donít use and abuse them since they are not easily replaceable.
CADR is offline  
Old 06-13-2021, 06:21 AM   #6068  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Duffman's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2018
Posts: 546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanicom3205 View Post
I donít have the time to check your math, but 20% faster is HUGE. Seniority is everything at AA - unlike Piedmont. Itís the difference of hundred of thousands of dollars a year and significantly kore time at home - multiplied by years.


I get it, things are sub standard at Piedmont. Iím not going to sit here and act like itís the best place to work. At the end of the day, however, you should recognize that your number one goal should be to get to wherever you want to work as fast as you can. If AA is that place for you, 20% makes an enormous difference. Again, Iím not checking your math or anything, but by your own numbers itís the place to be.
This is true if you wait for the flow. With a 4-5 year flow, PDT knows how to dangle carrots at the right time to keep you in. When the timeline is 1 yr to finish OE, 2 more years to upgrade, then 2ish years as a CA making close to 6 figures and you know you're going to flow, there isn't a lot of motivation to bust your butt on overnights after 6-leg days to polish your resumes so you can maybe get the call 6 months earlier. But because COVID gave everyone so much time and threw so much doubt in the flow, I think a lot of pilots did the prep and got their apps out. Because the flow time is now highly speculative, I also think we're gonna have a hard time attracting new hires if we wait until everyone else is hiring. I also think COVID made LCCs a lot more attractive because we all saw how well their business models work.
Duffman is offline  
Old 06-13-2021, 01:40 PM   #6069  
Inertia coupled
 
sanicom3205's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2020
Posts: 856
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
This is true if you wait for the flow. With a 4-5 year flow, PDT knows how to dangle carrots at the right time to keep you in. When the timeline is 1 yr to finish OE, 2 more years to upgrade, then 2ish years as a CA making close to 6 figures and you know you're going to flow, there isn't a lot of motivation to bust your butt on overnights after 6-leg days to polish your resumes so you can maybe get the call 6 months earlier. But because COVID gave everyone so much time and threw so much doubt in the flow, I think a lot of pilots did the prep and got their apps out. Because the flow time is now highly speculative, I also think we're gonna have a hard time attracting new hires if we wait until everyone else is hiring. I also think COVID made LCCs a lot more attractive because we all saw how well their business models work.
It's all about how you play the game. I know Piedmont guys who busted their tails on overnights and did everything they could to get out. That 6 months you mention could very well be the difference between a wicked commute or a leisurely drive, furlough or continued employment, career captain vs career FO.... you get where I'm going. When the music stops, there's always that first guy to get kicked to the street, stuck in the right seat, or forced into a 6 hour flight across the country to get in position for short call reserve in LAX. You never know where that line is going to be drawn, but every number betters your odds. Again, it's subjective but in my book the goal was to get through that door as fast as possible. If AA is your goal, there are limited avenues to get there. Flow, military, WO hired outside of the flow are the three best chances in my opinion.
sanicom3205 is offline  
Old 06-13-2021, 05:31 PM   #6070  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Lahey's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2018
Posts: 285
Default

Sounds like to me some guys/gals already did that and blasted off to cargo/legacy gigs (FedEx/ups, United on the backside) during the thick of all this. most the ones I hear that are going to put their apps in never do, or never lift a finger beyond line flying after putting their app in. *shrugs* to each their own I guess
Lahey is online now  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any "Latest & Greatest" about Delta? Guard Dude Delta 200619 06-18-2021 05:05 AM
PDT News and Rumors stoki Regional 11227 04-26-2017 08:03 AM
Spirit of NKS, Part II Cruise Spirit 10507 12-01-2016 12:52 PM
PRIA And An Alaska Airlines Wannabe vagabond Aviation Law 10 09-20-2008 12:50 PM
Southwest Airlines Article from CNN UnlimitedAkro Major 60 03-11-2008 12:14 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:38 AM.