Go Back   Airline Pilot Central Forums - Find your next job as a Pilot > >
Regional Regional airlines
 

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-30-2007, 07:46 PM   #1  
Chief Jeppesen Updater
Thread Starter
 
FlyerJosh's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Executive Transport Driver
Posts: 3,047
Default Compass / NWA Flow Thru Language

Just had this passed to me from an ALPA contact:

NWA Flow Down Seniority, Protected Rights and Flow Up

1. Except as stated in paragraph D.2. below:
a. All Northwest Airlines pilots who elect employment at Compass Airlines via the Feeder Carrier Opportunity List shall be considered to be senior to all Feeder Carrier Affiliate pilots, and

b. Shall be ranked among themselves on the Compass Airlines Seniority List in order of their respective seniority at Northwest.
2. Feeder Carrier Affiliate pilots who elect protected right status:
a. Must do so within forty-five (45) days after their notification of an employment opportunity at Northwest;
(1) By doing so, the Feeder Carrier Affiliate pilot will (except as provided in paragraph D.2.c. below) permanently forfeit any future employment opportunity at Northwest Airlines provided by the flow through agreement with Northwest Airlines and Compass Airlines.
b. A protected rights Compass Airlines pilot shall be senior at Compass Airlines to any pilot flowing down from Northwest Airlines subsequent to the employment of the protected rights pilot at Compass Airlines.

c. No more than ninety percent (90%) of pilot positions will be preserved for Northwest Airlines pilots (a “preserved position”). No more than ten percent (10%) of pilot positions will be preserved for pilots electing protected rights status (a “rights status position”) at Compass Airlines. In the event of a reduction in the total number of positions at Compass, the number of “preserved positions” and “rights status positions” will be adjusted to maintain the nine to one (9:1) ratio. “Rights status” will be removed from pilots in reverse seniority order and such pilot will again have flow rights to Northwest.
3. Compass Airlines pilots will be offered employment at Northwest Airlines before any other Northwest Airlines Affiliate Carrier or new hires from the street directly to Northwest Airlines.
a. Offers to flow up will be in seniority order, provided that, in order to be eligible to flow up a pilot, must:
(1) Be a captain, and

(2) Have at least thirty (30) months on payroll at Compass Airlines (see Sections 7 A. and 14 A.1.c. for definition of “on payroll”; for purposes of this paragraph 22 D.3., a pilot shall be deemed to be on payroll while on military leave).
b. The maximum number of Compass pilots flowing up to Northwest shall be:
(1) twenty-five percent (25%) of the total pilot group over a rolling twelve (12) month period, and

(2) no more than twenty (20) pilots per month.
c. For purposes of determining the “total pilot group” in paragraph D.3.b.(1) above, the following methodology shall be used:
(1) As of the first day of each month, the number of pilots on the Compass Pilots’ Seniority List on the first day of that month, excluding pilots on an extended illness or absence who have not stated a return date during that month, will be determined.

(2) Twenty-five percent (25%) of this number will be the maximum number of pilots permitted to flow up under this Agreement over a rolling twelve (12) month period ending in the current month. Any fraction will be rounded to the next whole number.

(3) The number of flow up pilots in the prior eleven (11) months will be determined.

(4) If the number calculated in subparagraph (3) above is less than the number calculated in subparagraph (2), then the difference (up to twenty (20)) shall be granted a right to flow up to Northwest.
EXAMPLE: On March 1, 2011, there are three hundred sixty (360) pilots on the Seniority List. Over the prior eleven (11) months, a total of eighty (80) pilots flowed up to Northwest. The total of three hundred sixty (360) pilots multiplied by twenty-five (25%) equals ninety (90) pilots. 90-80 = 10. Ten (10) additional pilots are granted flow up rights to Northwest.
d. A pilot, other than a furloughed Northwest pilot, who accepts flow up to Northwest may be held at Compass for up to three (3) months beyond his Northwest class date due to operational constraints at Compass, provided that Northwest Airlines has agreed that his Northwest system seniority date and EDAP at Northwest shall be the same dates as if he had commenced training on his original Northwest class date.

EXCEPTION: A supervisory pilot who has held a supervisory pilot position for at least the prior year and who has accepted flow up to Northwest may be held at Compass for up to nine (9) months beyond his Northwest class date due to operational constraints, provided Northwest Airlines has agreed to handle the pilot’s NWA system seniority date and EDAP as provided in paragraph D.3.d. above.

e. Compass pilots, including furloughed Northwest pilots at Compass, shall be released to flow up to Northwest in seniority order.
FlyerJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:08 PM   #2  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 22,659
Default

OK, that's a small start...now let's see if we can get regional flow-through to FDX...

Actually involuntary compass flow-through may be NWA's master plan for staffing mainline...
rickair7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:12 PM   #3  
DisplAAced
 
coldpilot's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: EMB-145 FO
Posts: 638
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
OK, that's a small start...now let's see if we can get regional flow-through to FDX...

Actually involuntary compass flow-through may be NWA's master plan for staffing mainline...
They sure could use it right now. Josh, I was doing my 480 ride the other day and JD stopped in. He got recalled to NWA and timed out on something like the 22nd of the month. If only media and the public realized that it isn't the pilots calling in sick but they legally can't fly because of the feds... Pure madness
coldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:23 PM   #4  
Chief Jeppesen Updater
Thread Starter
 
FlyerJosh's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Executive Transport Driver
Posts: 3,047
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
OK, that's a small start...now let's see if we can get regional flow-through to FDX...

Actually involuntary compass flow-through may be NWA's master plan for staffing mainline...

Except there is no "involuntary" flow-through. Compass pilots can choose to deny their rights, and lock their seniority.
FlyerJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:30 PM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Eric Stratton's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,002
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerJosh View Post
Just had this passed to me from an ALPA contact:

NWA Flow Down Seniority, Protected Rights and Flow Up

1. Except as stated in paragraph D.2. below:
a. All Northwest Airlines pilots who elect employment at Compass Airlines via the Feeder Carrier Opportunity List shall be considered to be senior to all Feeder Carrier Affiliate pilots, and

b. Shall be ranked among themselves on the Compass Airlines Seniority List in order of their respective seniority at Northwest.
2. Feeder Carrier Affiliate pilots who elect protected right status:
a. Must do so within forty-five (45) days after their notification of an employment opportunity at Northwest;
(1) By doing so, the Feeder Carrier Affiliate pilot will (except as provided in paragraph D.2.c. below) permanently forfeit any future employment opportunity at Northwest Airlines provided by the flow through agreement with Northwest Airlines and Compass Airlines.
b. A protected rights Compass Airlines pilot shall be senior at Compass Airlines to any pilot flowing down from Northwest Airlines subsequent to the employment of the protected rights pilot at Compass Airlines.

c. No more than ninety percent (90%) of pilot positions will be preserved for Northwest Airlines pilots (a “preserved position”). No more than ten percent (10%) of pilot positions will be preserved for pilots electing protected rights status (a “rights status position”) at Compass Airlines. In the event of a reduction in the total number of positions at Compass, the number of “preserved positions” and “rights status positions” will be adjusted to maintain the nine to one (9:1) ratio. “Rights status” will be removed from pilots in reverse seniority order and such pilot will again have flow rights to Northwest.
3. Compass Airlines pilots will be offered employment at Northwest Airlines before any other Northwest Airlines Affiliate Carrier or new hires from the street directly to Northwest Airlines.
a. Offers to flow up will be in seniority order, provided that, in order to be eligible to flow up a pilot, must:
(1) Be a captain, and

(2) Have at least thirty (30) months on payroll at Compass Airlines (see Sections 7 A. and 14 A.1.c. for definition of “on payroll”; for purposes of this paragraph 22 D.3., a pilot shall be deemed to be on payroll while on military leave).
b. The maximum number of Compass pilots flowing up to Northwest shall be:
(1) twenty-five percent (25%) of the total pilot group over a rolling twelve (12) month period, and

(2) no more than twenty (20) pilots per month.
c. For purposes of determining the “total pilot group” in paragraph D.3.b.(1) above, the following methodology shall be used:
(1) As of the first day of each month, the number of pilots on the Compass Pilots’ Seniority List on the first day of that month, excluding pilots on an extended illness or absence who have not stated a return date during that month, will be determined.

(2) Twenty-five percent (25%) of this number will be the maximum number of pilots permitted to flow up under this Agreement over a rolling twelve (12) month period ending in the current month. Any fraction will be rounded to the next whole number.

(3) The number of flow up pilots in the prior eleven (11) months will be determined.

(4) If the number calculated in subparagraph (3) above is less than the number calculated in subparagraph (2), then the difference (up to twenty (20)) shall be granted a right to flow up to Northwest.
EXAMPLE: On March 1, 2011, there are three hundred sixty (360) pilots on the Seniority List. Over the prior eleven (11) months, a total of eighty (80) pilots flowed up to Northwest. The total of three hundred sixty (360) pilots multiplied by twenty-five (25%) equals ninety (90) pilots. 90-80 = 10. Ten (10) additional pilots are granted flow up rights to Northwest.
d. A pilot, other than a furloughed Northwest pilot, who accepts flow up to Northwest may be held at Compass for up to three (3) months beyond his Northwest class date due to operational constraints at Compass, provided that Northwest Airlines has agreed that his Northwest system seniority date and EDAP at Northwest shall be the same dates as if he had commenced training on his original Northwest class date.

EXCEPTION: A supervisory pilot who has held a supervisory pilot position for at least the prior year and who has accepted flow up to Northwest may be held at Compass for up to nine (9) months beyond his Northwest class date due to operational constraints, provided Northwest Airlines has agreed to handle the pilot’s NWA system seniority date and EDAP as provided in paragraph D.3.d. above.

e. Compass pilots, including furloughed Northwest pilots at Compass, shall be released to flow up to Northwest in seniority order.
let's say real bad things happen and nwa furloughs in 1 year after hiring 300. do those pilots have the right to flow down to compass? does the 1st part of that flow through apply.

since no one flowed up can people still flow down, and since no one could claim protected right status does that mean they go at the top of the seniority list and push everyone backwards?

hope that makes sense.
Eric Stratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:35 PM   #6  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 22,659
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Stratton View Post
let's say real bad things happen and nwa furloughs in 1 year after hiring 300. do those pilots have the right to flow down to compass? does the 1st part of that flow through apply.

since no one flowed up can people still flow down, and since no one could claim protected right status does that mean they go at the top of the seniority list and push everyone backwards?

hope that makes sense.
Probably safe to assume that any NWA furlough who wants a job at compass will get one...at the expense of a compass pilot.

Mainline is probably willing to trade flow-through for flowback because they suspect an imminent merger, followed by furloughs.
rickair7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 05:57 AM   #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
IHateMgmt's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: "I love the smell of Napalm in the Morning."
Posts: 288
Default

You all should be very careful with this flow through. Without a cap on the flow downs, ALL current (and future) Compass pilots could be kicked on the streets depending on what happens to the DC9's.
IHateMgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:30 AM   #8  
Gets Weekends Off
 
XtremeF150's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: M88B
Posts: 1,178
Default

The way I understood this whole thing is that they said if a catastrophic flow down were to happen then only the top 10% of the pilots at CMP would be ok. So the first 36 guys or so. The rest of the list could be furloughed. Since they are already into the 60's on the seniority list that means anyone hired could be in that group.
I haven't actually seen a contract though so thats just how I heard it.
XtremeF150 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 

 
Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Northwest Strike Ballots Authorized RockBottom Major 19 02-15-2006 06:12 PM
NWA Council 20 on 1113c Negotiations LDmax Major 0 01-28-2006 12:57 PM
NWA MEC Hotline RockBottom Major 0 01-07-2006 03:24 PM
NWA ALPA Ziplines RockBottom Major 0 09-14-2005 09:52 PM
NWA MEC letter RockBottom Major 1 08-12-2005 03:22 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:55 PM.


vBulletin® v3.9.3.5, Copyright ©2000-2019, MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright ©2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1