Go Back   Airline Pilot Central Forums - Find your next job as a Pilot > >
Regional Regional airlines
 

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2015, 07:21 AM   #1  
Line Holder
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Jul 2015
Posts: 56
Default Commutable Regional From South Florida

I am a new member at APC. I am getting ready to target regional airline jobs and I prefer those that I can commute to via non-stop flights from south Florida. I have looked at regionals that operate from Florida and the only ones that I have found are Silver (turboprop only) and Republic (Miami is a very senior base, according to what I have read on APC); realistically I will have to commute.
The "non-stop bases" that I found are the following: ATL, CLT, DCA, DEN, DFW, DTW, EWR, IAH, JFK, LGA and PHL.
Would anybody have any input on how feasible, difficult or even possible it is to commute to these bases from south Florida? My nearest airports are PBI and FLL. Any input on any of these specific routes would be great. I have read the forums and I am aware of the large number of pilots that commute from Florida every day, I am interested in how that works out in real life for a commuting regional pilot.
PW4060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:54 AM   #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Snuffaluffagus's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2015
Position: Airbus A320
Posts: 285
Default

Any commute out of Florida sucks. Cheap and warm makes it a pilot paradise.

I commute. Trust me when I say this...commuting fugging sucks.
Snuffaluffagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:43 AM   #3  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2014
Posts: 215
Default

Nix ATL. Not worth the hassle trying to get there.
GreatBigSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:56 AM   #4  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Farmlover's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2011
Posts: 703
Default

Move to a base.
Farmlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:27 AM   #5  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: May 2015
Posts: 27
Default

You left out ORD. Im in the same boat though, I live in Fort Lauderdale. I just got hired at Republic, Silver and Skywest. I was initially going to go with republic because they said I could get the Miami base after about 4-6 months but with all of their problems and slow moving contract negotiaions I went with Skywest.
At skywest youll start out at either MSP or ORD and there are non stop flights to Chicago from FLL. A couple of months later you could get IAH and theres non stop flights there as well.

But yea, no commute is the best option, which is why Im moving to chicago next MArch/April.
Fatigued Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:01 AM   #6  
Line Holder
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Jul 2015
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffaluffagus View Post
Any commute out of Florida sucks. Cheap and warm makes it a pilot paradise.

I commute. Trust me when I say this...commuting fugging sucks.
Is commuting a problem for you because of the extra time or even day(s) it takes to get to work or the uncertainty of getting on the flight? I am willing to put up with the extra days it may take.
Have you not been able to get to work because of not getting on a flight? That's the thing I am most concerned with for now.
Thanks for the reply.
PW4060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:18 AM   #7  
Line Holder
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Jul 2015
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatigued Flyer View Post
You left out ORD. Im in the same boat though, I live in Fort Lauderdale. I just got hired at Republic, Silver and Skywest. I was initially going to go with republic because they said I could get the Miami base after about 4-6 months but with all of their problems and slow moving contract negotiaions I went with Skywest.
At skywest youll start out at either MSP or ORD and there are non stop flights to Chicago from FLL. A couple of months later you could get IAH and theres non stop flights there as well.

But yea, no commute is the best option, which is why Im moving to chicago next MArch/April.
Thanks for that reply! Yes, I did miss ORD in my message, MSP is another one that can be done non-stop from Florida.
Has the commute to ORD worked out okay so far? I am interested to know how much "competition" you have in FLL to get to ORD. I am mostly concerned about making it to work. I accept it will be stressful sometimes.
Moving to base is something I prefer not to do yet. Of course, after commuting for a while I may change my mind!
PW4060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:21 AM   #8  
Line Holder
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Jul 2015
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBigSea View Post
Nix ATL. Not worth the hassle trying to get there.
That seems to be a recurring theme that I have seen on APC. Okay, ATL goes off the list! Thank you.
PW4060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:24 AM   #9  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Snuffaluffagus's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2015
Position: Airbus A320
Posts: 285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW4060 View Post
Is commuting a problem for you because of the extra time or even day(s) it takes to get to work or the uncertainty of getting on the flight? I am willing to put up with the extra days it may take.
Have you not been able to get to work because of not getting on a flight? That's the thing I am most concerned with for now.
Thanks for the reply.
Knock on wood, but I've always made it home or to work. Gotta be proactive about it. I used to commute from PHX to IAH and it sucked balls. Tons of commuters on those flights. I do PHX to LAX now and it's better. About 25 flights a day. More commuters but more jumpseats available!

With commuting you lose a lot of time at home. You might have to go in the night before your reserve block or trip start. Finish late, and you might spend night in Hotel de Crew Room while waiting for the first flight home in the morning.

Commuting on reserve is hell. If you have a wife, kiss her goodbye.

I am glad we have the option to commute because not everyone wants to live in lovely cities like Newark, Houston, Detroit etc.
Snuffaluffagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:23 PM   #10  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Senior Skipper's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: the correct seat
Posts: 1,408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW4060 View Post
Is commuting a problem for you because of the extra time or even day(s) it takes to get to work or the uncertainty of getting on the flight? I am willing to put up with the extra days it may take.
You say that now. Get back to us after doing it for a month or two. As a commuter, my 11-12 days off can easily turn into 7-8. Commuting is the absolute worst part of the job.
Senior Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 

 
Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Foreign airlines may save regional pilots MD11 Regional 138 06-26-2014 02:02 PM
RJ vs. 737 economic analysis EWRflyr Major 14 10-10-2010 10:37 AM
Where Can I Take My Ppl In South Florida jcool411 Flight Schools and Training 6 12-26-2007 05:57 PM
ATTN: South Florida ALPA members skybolt Major 4 02-23-2007 06:15 PM
ATTN: South Florida ALPA Pilots skybolt Regional 2 02-22-2007 10:31 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:52 AM.


vBulletin® v3.9.3.5, Copyright ©2000-2019, MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright 2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1