Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Pilot Lounge > Safety
2 Laser Events in PHX >

2 Laser Events in PHX

Notices
Safety Accidents, suggestions on improving safety, etc

2 Laser Events in PHX

Old 02-04-2019, 11:02 AM
  #1  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
Av8tr1's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2014
Position: And hold
Posts: 301
Default 2 Laser Events in PHX

Twice now I have flow into PHX and had a laser event. 1st was in Nov and did enough eye damage that I was grounded for a few weeks. Starting a left turn to final for 25L the flight deck was illuminated with a bright green light. This wasn't a laser pointer that you buy at Walmart. This was a high powered laser likely from Ebay or China. Damaged my retina which thankfully cleared up a few weeks later. When I landed Airport Ops met me at the airplane and said these happen so often the cops likely would not come out to even take a report. So I didn't file one not knowing at the time I was going to be out of work for a few weeks due to the injury. I did however file a laser report with the FAA and they never contacted me about it.

Last week flying into PHX again I had another eye injury at about the same place (this is likely the same idiot). I was in the turn for final 25L when at about the same place as the previous incident the flight deck was illuminated by a bright green light. Unfortunately I instinctively looked at the source of the light and it got me right in the eye again. Had the expected spot in my view but landed the plane without incident. This time I demanded over the radio that law enforcement meet me on the ramp, Ops was waiting for me when I taxied in. Report was taken and we narrowed down the location to a roughly mile wide area which was outside the jurisdiction of PHX police. The officer promised to forward the report to the dept who had jurisdiction but likely nothing would be done to investigate this specific incident.

My company is pretty useless about this stuff. No procedures for these sorts of events. I have heard other stories that company pilots were escorted to the hospital when it happened to them. I was left to figure out things on my own (twice now). Spent 7 hours in the ER (after a full 15 hour duty day) waiting for a opthamologist who never showed up and was referred for an appointment 3 days later. Very likely there is nothing wrong but I am grounded again until I am cleared by a doctor.

Both of these events happened in roughly the same place leading me to think its the same person, i'm just unlucky enough to get caught twice. But without something specific happening I doubt anything will be done to catch the laser idiot.

I'd like to recommend a process to my company and would like to know what other airlines do when these sorts of events happen.

Do you have a published procedure? Or checklist to follow in the event of a laser event?

Next time I am considering declaring an emergency and orbit over the piece of craps house until I can direct the police to the location. Short of that I doubt anything will be done to catch the forker.
Av8tr1 is offline  
Old 02-04-2019, 12:26 PM
  #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
tomgoodman's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: 767A (Ret)
Posts: 6,248
Default

Some progress here, but not enough.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...l-airport.html

https://www.cnn.com/2015/09/04/us/la...est/index.html

https://www.cnn.com/2016/01/07/us/la...est/index.html
tomgoodman is offline  
Old 02-04-2019, 01:21 PM
  #3  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 38,286
Default

Since it's a known location AND it's powerful enough to cause damage, I'd get some eye protection to wear when going into PHX.

Here's info specific to pilots...

Laser Pointer Safety - Laser Glare Protection eyewear for pilots

Also did you contact the FBI... I think they do have jurisdiction in addition to the local yokels since it involves aviation, and they might actually care if you suffered eye damage. Especially if it's a repeat offender who they might be able to actually catch.
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 02-04-2019, 01:33 PM
  #4  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
Av8tr1's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2014
Position: And hold
Posts: 301
Default

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Since it's a known location AND it's powerful enough to cause damage, I'd get some eye protection to wear when going into PHX.

Here's info specific to pilots...

Laser Pointer Safety - Laser Glare Protection eyewear for pilots

Also did you contact the FBI... I think they do have jurisdiction in addition to the local yokels since it involves aviation, and they might actually care if you suffered eye damage. Especially if it's a repeat offender who they might be able to actually catch.
That's a good idea. I'll reach out to the local FBI office and see what they have to say.
Av8tr1 is offline  
Old 02-05-2019, 07:18 AM
  #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
JamesNoBrakes's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player
Posts: 3,965
Default

Originally Posted by Av8tr1 View Post
The officer promised to forward the report to the dept who had jurisdiction but likely nothing would be done to investigate this specific incident.
Did you speak to their manager?

Sometimes you have to go up the chain as far as you need to go, that may even involve the city elected representatives. Unfortunately, some public servants will "encourage" you to dismiss complaints and things like this, so they don't have to do the work. This may be more in the area of the FBI, but it then begs to question why that officer didn't contact the FBI, the local police is likely the "primary" organization until any investigation is handed over to the final responsible organization.
JamesNoBrakes is offline  
Old 02-05-2019, 08:21 AM
  #6  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 38,286
Default

Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
This may be more in the area of the FBI, but it then begs to question why that officer didn't contact the FBI, the local police is likely the "primary" organization until any investigation is handed over to the final responsible organization.
I was thinking, but didn't say, that it might have been a turf thing. The locals might not have wanted to deal with the feebies, or might have been afraid it would involve more work for them.

Worst case, go to the local media. He has police reports and documentation of injury. The public might be interested to know that the pilots flying them in and out of their home town are at risk of incapacitation from powerful lasers.
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 02-05-2019, 09:15 AM
  #7  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
Av8tr1's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2014
Position: And hold
Posts: 301
Default

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
I was thinking, but didn't say, that it might have been a turf thing. The locals might not have wanted to deal with the feebies, or might have been afraid it would involve more work for them.

Worst case, go to the local media. He has police reports and documentation of injury. The public might be interested to know that the pilots flying them in and out of their home town are at risk of incapacitation from powerful lasers.
Yeah, no media. I donít want the drama. Itís embarrassing enough itís happened twice now just to me. We had one pilot a year ago get hit but donít know the story. And no one else seems to be making a big deal out of this so Iím likely over reacting. Iíll put in a call to the FBI and leave it with them.

I get the danger but how much can we really do here? Both times I was able to safely land the plane without any concerns. Iím ****ed than I lost some work as a result but the company eventually came around and covered my losses through workers comp.
Av8tr1 is offline  
Old 02-05-2019, 09:46 AM
  #8  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2018
Posts: 104
Default

Probably some idiot in a trailer park wondering "When are they going to move that gosh darn airport!!????!?!!!"
smc2020 is offline  
Old 02-05-2019, 11:54 AM
  #9  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 38,286
Default

Originally Posted by Av8tr1 View Post
Yeah, no media. I donít want the drama. Itís embarrassing enough itís happened twice now just to me. We had one pilot a year ago get hit but donít know the story. And no one else seems to be making a big deal out of this so Iím likely over reacting. Iíll put in a call to the FBI and leave it with them.

I get the danger but how much can we really do here? Both times I was able to safely land the plane without any concerns. Iím ****ed than I lost some work as a result but the company eventually came around and covered my losses through workers comp.
It is a big deal. You were attacked and injured (with possible long-term ramifications) while piloting an airliner.

If it got in the media the FBI would probably pile one.
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 02-05-2019, 07:58 PM
  #10  
Gets Weekends Off
 
JamesNoBrakes's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player
Posts: 3,965
Default

Originally Posted by Av8tr1 View Post
Yeah, no media. I donít want the drama. Itís embarrassing enough itís happened twice now just to me.
So is this important to you or not? It's not necessarily that you have to go to the media, but damn, if you know something is screwed up you keep going up the management chain until someone does something. Hold your public servants accountable.
JamesNoBrakes is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Jdel
Part 91 and Low Time
6
12-13-2017 06:00 PM
terks43
Mesa Airlines
25
11-26-2017 04:04 PM
PowerShift
Southwest
2
01-31-2017 09:53 AM
bigmacdaddy
American
43
10-01-2016 12:02 PM
WX Guru
Flight Schools and Training
2
02-13-2012 06:54 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread