How much TT time does United want?

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  14 
Page 4 of 25
Go to
Quote: You’re painting a very clear picture, if unwittingly. Got it—a civil discussion of ideas based on actual facts isn’t something in which you’ll engage in public. Got it…

For my part, seems like they’re hiring people who are qualified pilots AND have some other points on the board. It’s no longer enough to just point at one’s credentials and expect to be hired. Sounds like progress to me, frankly. I’d prefer to work with interesting, thoughtful people who can have a pleasant discussion even if we disagree than someone who can’t share what they *really* think in public.
You’ve ALWAYS have had to have other points on the board. The experience requirements are going down. Hard to argue. A lot of folks onboarding right now have no historical reference to that.
Beggars can’t be choosers. The reality when everyone is hiring in the numbers today is that most people will be less accomplished than what was the norm 7 years ago, whether that be the flying part of the resume or the number of graduate degrees, etc. one has.

If you have an application in and you’re not getting called, you have too little of whatever the lowered bar has become when considering your overall application.
I'd rather fly with highly skilled and experienced pilots. If they're interesting that's a plus. But if not I can always meet cool people at the bar later.
Quote: I'd rather fly with highly skilled and experienced pilots. If they're interesting that's a plus. But if not I can always meet cool people at the bar later.

You and others who’ve noted in today’s world, the overall experience level is lower, are clearly correct. That’s just the math today. We’ve spent decades driving young people away from an aviation career: 9/11, economic downturns, crappy pay, diminishing military opportunities, and the broken regional model.

But the premise of choosing between “highly skilled drone” and “personable inexperienced person” is false. Virtually everyone getting hired can make it through training, or they wouldn’t get an interview—or be getting through training. There isn’t evidence of massive training failures because new hires couldn’t hack training.

Posters whining about some “less-qualified” applicants being hired instead of them - with their Lindberghian resumes - should look in the mirror instead of blaming whatever scary straw man their media of choice has dreamt up for them today.

The common denominator in one’s own experiences is oneself. Don’t like the consequences? Make different choices…and be kind, it goes a long way.
Currently a restricted ATP regional FO. Have anyone heard of an instance of someone being hired around 1600-2000TT, 500+ SIC turbine time?
Quote: Currently a restricted ATP regional FO. Have anyone heard of an instance of someone being hired around 1600-2000TT, 500+ SIC turbine time?
I’ve seen military guys/gals get hired around that time, but you are still pretty low for civilian. You never know though, definitely get your app out. The real show stopper is your RATP. They won’t touch you with a 10’ pole until that restriction is removed. Get on that ASAP and good luck!
Quote: I’ve seen military guys/gals get hired around that time, but you are still pretty low for civilian. You never know though, definitely get your app out. The real show stopper is your RATP. They won’t touch you with a 10’ pole until that restriction is removed. Get on that ASAP and good luck!
Thanks! I should be crossing that 1500hr mark next month.
Quote: Currently a restricted ATP regional FO. Have anyone heard of an instance of someone being hired around 1600-2000TT, 500+ SIC turbine time?
If the captain retention bonuses work, that will become the new volume center for hiring.
Quote: I’ve seen military guys/gals get hired around that time, but you are still pretty low for civilian. You never know though, definitely get your app out. The real show stopper is your RATP. They won’t touch you with a 10’ pole until that restriction is removed. Get on that ASAP and good luck!

Just to manage expectations, someone with that kind of time in the military would have mostly PIC time in fighters.
A pulse with a quasi-modest sense of entitlement
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  14 
Page 4 of 25
Go to