DOJ to block AA/USAir merger

Subscribe
5  45  51  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  65 
Page 55 of 69
Go to
US Airways Group Inc (LCC): Will The Government Shutdown Affect The US Airways-American Airlines Merger? - Seeking Alpha
Does anyone know if the Nov. trial ruling can be appealed by either side to higher courts?
Quote: Does anyone know if the Nov. trial ruling can be appealed by either side to higher courts?
You know they can. I think the judge could decide to stay the merger (or not) if she approves the merger. If she stops the merger, I think it's dead. But, I'm no lawyer.
Quote: You know they can. I think the judge could decide to stay the merger (or not) if she approves the merger. If she stops the merger, I think it's dead. But, I'm no lawyer.
anything can be appealed but the next higher court can refuse to hear it, thus stopping it dead then and there. With that said, it is unlikely DOJ will appeal to Supreme Court if case does not go in their favor. "Witch hunt" etc "axe to grind" etc "government out to snuff out business" by DOJ will come into discussion plus budgetary considerations to "continue to keep the case alive" will come into play.

My opinion, is DOJ will not appeal it to the next level. In addition, my opinion is AA/LCC will prevail in this.
Quote: anything can be appealed but the next higher court can refuse to hear it, thus stopping it dead then and there. With that said, it is unlikely DOJ will appeal to Supreme Court if case does not go in their favor. "Witch hunt" etc "axe to grind" etc by DOJ will come into discussion plus budgetary considerations to "continue to keep the case alive" will come into play.

My opinion, is DOJ will not appeal it to the next level.
if they lose.
Quote: if they lose.
DOJ won't appeal it if DOJ looses. Appeals can't be based on "didn't get my way" they are based on (alleged) errors in trial process or arguments that allowable evidence was left out, etc type stuff.

AA's attorneys will be much better prepared than the civil servant government attorneys. Not to whistle past the graveyard but I anticipate an AA win.
Quote:
AA's attorneys will be much better prepared than the civil servant government attorneys.
That's just plain silly.
Quote: That's just plain silly.
Why is that ?
Quote: Why is that ?
Doj attorneys aren't some lame ducks that couldn't cut it in the private sector. Most of these guys came from high power law firms that paid very well. I know Baer came from one of the best anti-trust law firms in the country.

Let's not underestimate these guys, the counsel the airlines have are some of the best but so are the people on the doj side.
Quote: Doj attorneys aren't some lame ducks that couldn't cut it in the private sector. Most of these guys came from high power law firms that paid very well. I know Baer came from one of the best anti-trust law firms in the country.

Let's not underestimate these guys, the counsel the airlines have are some of the best but so are the people on the doj side.
Apparently nobody understood my post, as I did not say they were lame ducks or couldn't cut it in private sector. Let me quote what I said:

Quote:
AA's attorneys will be much better prepared than the civil servant government attorneys.
And that, is what counts in the courtroom.

Have a wonderful evening.
5  45  51  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  65 
Page 55 of 69
Go to