Best ANR Headset for FDX use?

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
Page 3 of 13
Go to
I'm on the MD-11. Domestically I don't think it makes a big difference except I would rather wear something that is mine not a headset that has been spit on by 600 guys. Internationally I think having a good headset can make a huge difference. There have been many times where I was able to understand controllers with my Bose headset when the other guys had no idea what was being said.
I just upgraded to the Bose A-20. I love them. If you happen to have a Bose X tryouts into trading it in. I just got $425 for mine and Bose also offers a discount if you happen to keep your CFI current.
Do many people use the Clarity Aloft? I wonder how it is for long haul. I just use it for flights around 4 hours or less.
Quote: Do many people use the Clarity Aloft? I wonder how it is for long haul. I just use it for flights around 4 hours or less.
I use the clarity aloft on the 777..

Works great and lasts long time.

Didn't reply in this thread though because the OP asked about ANR... and the Clarity Aloft is more Passive Noise Reduction.

Love it though!
Quote:
Didn't reply in this thread though because the OP asked about ANR... and the Clarity Aloft is more Passive Noise Reduction.

If you want to get picky, Active Noise Reduction is a misnomer. Active Noise Cancelling is more accurate. The device monitors the ambient sound and produces a sound wave -- more noise -- that consists of a sine wave 180 degrees out of phase with the ambient noise. The result is a cancellation of the noise, but not a reduction. Technically, it's more noise.

Reduction comes from passive means, such as earplugs or ear muffs, devices intended to be barriers to keep the noise from reaching the eardrum in the first place.

Everyone has their own preferences, their own ears and hearing abilities/difficulties, and their own specific applications, but I think the best I've ever used was the Bose Aviation X. I've not tried them, but I can't help but believe the Bose A20s are just as good if not better. Both combine state of the art ANC with a pretty decent passive reduction setup.

If only we had an employer who cared enough to include Hotmic in our communications suite.

Maybe we need a committee ...
Chinch bugs........ magenese........ a lot of people don't know about that stuff......
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz-5c9SEjOM
Final Answer (for me): Bose A-20
Quote: I'm on the MD-11. Domestically I don't think it makes a big difference except I would rather wear something that is mine not a headset that has been spit on by 600 guys. Internationally I think having a good headset can make a huge difference. There have been many times where I was able to understand controllers with my Bose headset when the other guys had no idea what was being said.
I just upgraded to the Bose A-20. I love them. If you happen to have a Bose X tryouts into trading it in. I just got $425 for mine and Bose also offers a discount if you happen to keep your CFI current.
Just flew with the Bose A-20--wow! I can actually hear what ATC is saying now. HUGE improvement over even the "nice" Telex model, much less the basic. Appreciate all the dialogue and suggestions.
I use the Bose A20s on the MD-11 internationally. They make a huge difference trying to understand some of the controllers, and also with HF checks. Money well spent.
I do carry classic Bose ANC headphones for deadheads as they are a lot more inconspicuous.
Worth checking some of the airline mileage deals for the purchase. I got 15miles per dollar from United. Helped with the price sting a little.
Quote: Do many people use the Clarity Aloft? I wonder how it is for long haul. I just use it for flights around 4 hours or less.
I purchased a Clarity Aloft recently and have used it on 2 long B777 trips; love it! Much lighter and less cumbersome than the ANR headset I had that went kaput, easier to pack. I don't mind the in-ear earplug setup at all, leave both sides in my ear inflight. Cross talking with the other pilot not an issue unless he his looking away at his iPad or EFB.
But what I don't understand is so many of the guys I fly with that have their own headsets go to speaker after reaching FL180.
Quote: I use the Bose A20s on the MD-11 internationally. They make a huge difference trying to understand some of the controllers, and also with HF checks. Money well spent.
I do carry classic Bose ANC headphones for deadheads as they are a lot more inconspicuous.
Worth checking some of the airline mileage deals for the purchase. I got 15miles per dollar from United. Helped with the price sting a little.
How does talking within the cockpit work with the A20s on? The silly little headsets Fedex provides barely cover anyone's ear but everyone still flips them out of the way.
1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
Page 3 of 13
Go to